Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => Drifter 1500 only => Topic started by: DKtime on June 25, 2012, 00:06:52 AM

Title: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: DKtime on June 25, 2012, 00:06:52 AM
Does anyone know if the driver pegs from a 1500 custom will bold on a drifter?

I'm a little longer legged than average and I believe pegs will give my knees a little more comfort. Highway pegs help, but not for around town.
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: chief on June 25, 2012, 11:54:17 AM
Hmmm... I'm not sure how that would help, the pegs (if replacing boards) will be in relatively the same position. I usually change from pegs TO boards to get extra leg extension!! I can stretch a bit with my heels on the forward part of the board... did that on the GW as soon as I got it.



You should be able to do it though... I suspect pegs meant for a classic would work. I'm not sure about what would need to be changed for attachment however.
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: DKtime on June 25, 2012, 12:48:14 PM
thanks Chief
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: tim1 on June 25, 2012, 17:18:59 PM
I lowered my boards 1 and 1/2" and helped my knees greatly. If I really bend it in the corners, I can drag a bit, but not bad! When I did this, I also moved them forward a bit. Not hard to do. Moved the back pegs up 7" so my granddaughter can ride with me. With steel and a drill press, alls possible. Tim
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: 49Reo on June 25, 2012, 17:53:48 PM
I would be looking at moving the boards ahead if it was mine; I have had my Drifter over far enough in the corners to drag the boards HARD; not a good feeling with the ditch getting closer by the second. Moving the boards ahead is a relatively simple operation with  a few tools, like tim1 suggests. Pegs don't allow enough room to change position like boards do. However, it is your bike; please post pics of mods, so the rest of us can get ideas from them.

Regards and such,
49Reo
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: Troll on June 25, 2012, 18:24:37 PM
I drag my boards pretty regularly...the hero knobs are taking a beating. Can't even visualize lowering them.
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: tim1 on June 25, 2012, 22:15:43 PM
I will take some photos and see if I can upload them  Tim
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: 45 Bravo on June 25, 2012, 23:23:59 PM
I am with you Troll, I drag on a regular basis too.

(strange thing is it seems to be left hand turns more than right)
Left just seems to be more comfortable.
I think it is from a few years of dirt tracking.


45 Bravo
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: Troll on June 26, 2012, 07:38:48 AM
  Right turns are more challenging for about 95% of people. When we teach a beginning course, the majority of students, over the last 30 years, or so, tell me the rights make them uncomfortable or seem awkward. Every time we start an exercise with turns in mind, the pattern starts out to the left to learn the technique, and then we reverse them so they can practice the rights. I can't prove it, but I have seen it often enough to make me sure it has to do with eye dominance. The motorcycle doesn't care, so it MUST be the rider....
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: chief on June 26, 2012, 10:03:04 AM
ummm... wonder if this also has to do with pipe placement? Over the years, my eye dominance has shifted from right to left (eye problems, right side). I had to overcome the shift at the shooting range. I really haven't observed any difference practicing turns in the parking lot... but then, I wasn't looking for it either.
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: 45 Bravo on June 28, 2012, 10:04:24 AM
With me it is only high speed turns to the right that feel wrong.
Low speed (parking lot speeds & slower) don't bother me to the right, as a matter of fact i feel more stable in right turns at slow speed.

EVERY time and i mean EVERY TIME, I have laid my bike over at slow speeds has been in a left turn, (focusing on a point on the ground i was trying to avoid, and not looking where i wanted to be going)

Even flying, (210L Turbo Centurion) left banks just FEEL good, (right banks are evil.)


45 Bravo
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: testpilot on June 28, 2012, 18:10:39 PM
Is it the opposite for our Brit brothers?
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: Troll on June 28, 2012, 18:37:46 PM
I've had real Englishmen in the classes, and they can't turn right either....It's all about perception. When they change direction in an exercise, they take a whole different entry point and ride a different line, some faster, but mainly slower. Head turns to the right are much less pronounced, too
Title: Re: pegs instead of boards?
Post by: greenbarn on July 01, 2012, 19:24:26 PM
I wonder if it has to do with riding the bike we learned as a kid - thinking the pedal kind?  have anything to do with the brake system and which foot we used to brake with on the old pedal bikes, where you turn the crank backwards to apply the brakes???  I for one would always slam on the brakes  do the "skid braking stop" leaning over the left - much like cornering left. 

It's really interesting, though and now that you got me thinking about it it's REALLY bugging me.

Or does it have something to do with the kickstand (and the mounting side) being on left?? 

Things that make you go HMMMM....

If pro is the opposite of con, what is the opposite of progress?