Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: gretschmann on July 19, 2010, 10:46:57 AM

Title: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: gretschmann on July 19, 2010, 10:46:57 AM
Hi everybody,

I am planning to buy a Drifter very soon. I don't really know which model to buy. A 800 or 1500?
I am 6'2", 235 lbs. Should I go to the obvious choice, the 1500?  Maybe a 800 is enough. Which one is more reliable?
I need your expertise.

Thanks.

8)

Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: Varooom on July 19, 2010, 11:49:04 AM
I'm 6'3" and 200 pounds and bought my 1999 1500 because the size fits so much better than most other bikes.  If you go to the discussion area this question has been asked before and many replies are there.  I like shaft drive a lot.
Varooom
Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: tgoelz on July 19, 2010, 12:35:03 PM
I'm 6'4" & about 225lbs ... the '05 Drifter 1500 fits me very well ... only mod I made for my height was to add 2" Phat handle bar raisers ... the 2" raisers maintain the stock cables & made my (personal choice) seating more upright & more comfortable (for me).
Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: gretschmann on July 19, 2010, 22:55:47 PM
Thank you guys,
It seems like the obvious choice.
I will be more than happy to post pictures when I have the bike.
8)
Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: tmassey on July 19, 2010, 23:06:38 PM
i never rode an 800 drifter....but my 1500 is the best bike i have EVER rode or owned ...i'm 5 ft. 10in. 250lbs...with a bad shoulder and even after 2 surgeries i can still ride this bike all day.
Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: aclone on July 20, 2010, 15:24:49 PM
My first bike was a 805cc suzuki  liked the bike but it did seem a little under powered.
Love my 1500 drifter smooth ride nice sound and no problem two up with luggage.
Mark
Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: 49Reo on July 20, 2010, 18:12:27 PM
I've owned several bikes in my day; I'm 6'3" 240lb (yeah, yeah, I know, time to cut back)and the 1500 Drifter is the most comfortable bike I have ever ridden; I've never rode an 800 so can't say anything about them. You won't go wrong on a 1500.  8)
Regards and such,
49Reo
Title: Re: Which bike to choose ???
Post by: Mr Bill on July 21, 2010, 16:55:34 PM
I'm 6'2", 225 lbs.  I've owned both an 800 and a 1500 Drifter.  Both bikes fit me well.  I certainly wouldn't say the 800 was too small, size or power wise.  The 800 was plenty of bike for me and I would still have it if it were not lost in a flood.  I originally bought the 800 because I liked the look of the mono rear shock better. 
Now having a 1500, the extra torque is nice, and the shaft drive is smooooooth.  The 1500 is a bit heavier to throw around. 
From a reliability standpoint I never had problems with either bike.
Mr. Bill