Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: 1999 Drifter on March 27, 2012, 23:24:21 PM

Title: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: 1999 Drifter on March 27, 2012, 23:24:21 PM
the 99 1500 seems to be running ruff spittin and sputterin at steady throttle at any speed ...back firing and popping on de-acceleration, changed the plugs (old ones looked very clean) cleaned, washed and oiled the air filter with no change in running
thinking it could be bad gas even though I put 1/2 can of sea foam and ran 70 miles with no improvement

is there a way to drain the tank  on the 99 1500 with out having to remove it
thanks
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: chief on March 30, 2012, 21:11:17 PM
I'd just siphon as much as possible and replace with good gas... Did you check the ECU for any fault codes?
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: 1999 Drifter on April 01, 2012, 22:19:09 PM
yes I did check for codes and aren't any, however I think I may have solved the problem.......Last year I got the bike dyno tuned and I noticed he did not remove the air filter but just sort of looked at it with a mini mag flashlight and continued to tune, I think the filter was pretty plugged up and since it's a tear drop filter I don't think he had one. Anyway I think the bike was tuned with a dirty filter so this year when I put a new filter on (also washed and cleaned the old one ) the amount of air flowed has increased thefore the settings on the power commander would now be incorrect....does this make sense?????
The ratio of air and fuel has changed....so I'll try to find the correct settings...also filled the tank for a second time with premium gas and put in a 1/2 can of sea foam
unfortunately it snowed today and was unable to test ride, however I will give results once I test ride
Thanks
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: 1999 Drifter on April 03, 2012, 21:17:50 PM
In regards to my previous post on ruff running I have also noticed the right rear pipe cover shroud of the roadhouse doolies is turned a very dark purple...previously a nice golden colour. this would be the right rear cylinder


any thoughts :'(
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: Troll on April 04, 2012, 07:59:00 AM
This motorcycle is now 13 years old....Things like ign wires, and especially ign. wire caps deteriorate. Pull the plugs, and inspect for any unusual combustion signs, like black center electrode insulators, and/or carbon bridged electrodes. Look at the porcelain insulators for signs of carbon tracking. Look at he sides of the plastic plug caps for any white marks that look like hot spots or burn throughs that indicate the spark is going to the cylinder head or spark plug tube...
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: 1999 Drifter on April 04, 2012, 09:33:33 AM
Thanks Troll I'll check that out and report back any finding.....thanks
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: 49Reo on April 04, 2012, 09:51:45 AM
I had a car many years ago that slowly, over time, started running rough, higher fuel consumption, loss of power, etc, I opened the hood one night, with the engine running, there was an "electric light show" happening under the hood. You could see the electricity jumping to the head and running down the outside of the wires and plug caps. Put new wires on and end of problem. Keeping the outside of the plug clean is equally important; a plug that has oil, grime, etc. on it will have a greater chance of spark jumping to the head than a clean plug.

Good luck,
Regards and such,
49Reo
Title: Re: RUFF RUNNING
Post by: 1999 Drifter on April 09, 2012, 09:46:51 AM
well well well ......I noticed that the nuts holding the exhaust on were loose, I checked the service manual and I am not certain of the torque specs....pipes are road house doollies
Thanks