Vulcan Drifter Riders

DISCUSSIONS => General Discussion => Topic started by: 1999 Drifter on March 27, 2010, 18:40:53 PM

Title: checking for exhaust leak
Post by: 1999 Drifter on March 27, 2010, 18:40:53 PM
I'm about to put my exhaust pipes back on my 800 drifter and just wondering what's the best way to test for leaks where the exhast joins to engine other than putting my hands aroud the Hot pipes...lol
Title: Re: checking for exhaust leak
Post by: chief on March 27, 2010, 19:10:35 PM
There are several ways...

1) simply feel around the pipe... not touching it.

2) put a few drops of oil on the pipe near the flange and watch the smoke.

3) use a cig - get it started and put it around the pipe and watch the smoke.

4) cool inspection mirror, hot exhaust leak... condensation on the mirror.

There are likely many others.  The point is the leak will be push out air that you can detect.
Title: Re: checking for exhaust leak
Post by: 1999 Drifter on March 27, 2010, 20:00:18 PM
thanks I'll be sure to try everything

Tim
Title: Re: checking for exhaust leak
Post by: pcarrell on March 27, 2010, 20:56:20 PM
Smoke test works good for me........and I don't smoke!
Title: Re: checking for exhaust leak
Post by: chief on March 27, 2010, 22:15:00 PM
I smoke a pipe... which is what I use.
Title: Re: rounded allen nut stud bolt
Post by: 1999 Drifter on March 28, 2010, 16:25:16 PM
Ok, went to remove my exhaust nuts and the rear exhaust nut closest to the cylinder of course is rounded >:(, there are no edges for the allen key to grab. Ive tried heating etc with no results. I had to buy an over the nut easy out for the others, but there is no room for this to slip over the nut.

I need help!!!!!!!!!!

Just one of the little(big) things to watch out for when buying your used motorcycle....check the nuts to make sure they are not rounded, could cause problems for you down the line