CANCELLATION OF DRIFT-IN 17

Started by PaulXR, March 13, 2017, 04:19:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Drifter

Quote from: chief on April 15, 2017, 16:46:38 PM

Second Host has cancelled, so this is definitely a NO GO for 2017.

Why am I not surprised...no one likes drama.
Gene

1999 Drifter

chief

Second Host has cancelled, so this is definitely a NO GO for 2017.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

greenbarn

No Worries

chief

There is no excuse for the BS the recent couple of hosts have had to deal with. I clearly understand the underlying reasons for the destruction of the unified DI. I also know the people doing this will move on when they buy a different bike.

As a result, I can only recommend we embrace the CANADIAN DI. I am going to do my best to get to that one.
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

PaulXR

CANCELLATION OF D.I 17:     Please do read this thoroughly rather than listening to rumours.

I bought my Drifter new in 99, joined VDOG in 2000, started and ran UKDOG for 10 years and my wife & I have been coming over from the UK to Drift-In since the very first rally in 01. In between illness and redundancies we've attended Drift-In as often as we can, a couple of years ago we even bought a Drifter in the states and we've been to more Drift-In's than most, 5 in total, but not as many as some. Each year we make new friends, but there comes a time when you want to give something back and that's why we wanted to host D.I 17. We've hosted Drifter rally's in the UK, though it's not the easiest of things to do when you're organising it for another country, but over the years we've made some good contacts in the states and have some great friends who have had a major input into building Drift-in.
Contrary to what has been blurted out by the uninformed over the last couple of days on Fakebook, we knew we had another 3 months left during which time everything would have been finalised, there was no urgency... and bearing in mind as this years hosts, based on previous conversations, and I quote "free to shape the rally to suit themselves" ..it's a subject which has been discussed enough in the past for those knowledgable of Drift-In to understand by now, that that's how it works.
Apart from checking the condition of 2 roads, we had 3 main rides between 140 & 185 miles, pretty much sorted for Wed, Thur & Fri with 1 short ride on Saturday. Maps would have been freely available for those who wanted to explore further. After an unfortunate accident last year, I wanted everyone to carry a medical/personal info card during rally week just for safe measure. We'd already designed them and these would have been printed before we came over and handed out at registration. Organising of the group dinner/banquet was under way and I'd recently asked for numbers so we could decide a day to suit the majority and the restaurant, we would have also had a mid-week BBQ. One thing I'd planned on doing but wanted to keep as a surprise until the last minute, was to find a droner and have the arrival of the bikes at the bike show/dinner filmed by drone film & photography. We were also going to have a charity bike wash & shine, plus a couple of other idea's. The charity would have been Appalachian Bear Rescue, this is an amazing place that cares for injured and orphaned bears. For bike show trophies I have a ton of Drifter engine parts here in the workshop from which I was going to make something a little different, maybe a piston as the base onto a conrod & cam-chain, fixed to a clutch plate with the engraved plaque in the center..and easily broken down to fit into a saddlebag. The only thing we were unsure of was the viability of doing T-shirts, patches or pins simply because of costs if numbers were low. That was going to be our rally.
Now.. coincidently.? exactly the same as last year when one particular person posted a scathing personal attack on another member just a couple of months before their rally, history seems to be repeating itself again. It clearly affects numbers attending D.I and puts people off, so what with the BS that's been bandied about ever since we announced D.I 17 last year, it seems pointless continuing when some people seem hell bent at pissing on the parade. I can only apologise for cancelling this rally, but I would rather do so than see the situation escalate further and compromise the success of the event.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk