Rotting Indicator Rubbers

Started by Pete, May 16, 2020, 05:39:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

geewago

Yeah I'd like to know a little more about this door window seal as well.

mittico68

Quote from: Lucky on August 19, 2020, 15:19:28 PM

can use door window seal from napa to replace

I tried it as you suggested, but no match...
Maybe I'm missing something.

I love my swingin' bike!

Lucky

can use door window seal from napa to replace

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
Michelin Commander II mt/90-16 front 150/80-16 rear
1 3/4 turns on A/F, 1st clip,48 pilot, 160 main - 41mpg
K&N
Marbled and Modified airbox
Vulcan Classic 800 sissy bar
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

geewago

I don't think the cleaning products we use have anything to do with the cracking of the black based hard rubber/graphite base that holds the turning signals on a Drifter.  Whatever that stuff is made of it just won't last over 15 to 20 years without cracking and falling apart. Of course if you keep them in shelter out of the sun they will last longer but they still have their limits of duration.  The solution is to go to Cheap Cycle parts.com and buy new ones.  They are a little pricey but that's the solution. 

mittico68

Some time ago I found that ma-deuce's rear blinkers has got the same problem, as the rubber base is starting to show some cracks.
I didn't know that it could depend on the cause you're talkin' about. I just thought it could have been because of the bike is quite old now (bought her in 1999)...  ???
I'm gonna check the cleaning product and report asap...

I love my swingin' bike!

Pete

Having read several posts on this forum and on FaceBook, I've come to have a fairly strong suspicion that the rotting / crumbling of the black rubber sections of the indicators is caused by some sort of chemical incompatibility. The obvious contender would be something used to clean the bike.

It would be interesting to see if those who have suffered from rotting rubbers have used the same cleaners.

If you have had this problem please post what cleaning materials you use, and what it says on the lablels about what it is made from and what it can be used on.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk