solo seat ring

Started by freebrd1230, August 06, 2017, 21:07:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tj

Quote from: mittico68 on August 16, 2017, 09:41:41 AM

Ok. I've done my homework and here's the result...
I firstly bought a seat pan plus springs and a "T" bracket (see pic 1) - BTW: the "T" bracket is not visible in that pic; the black bar that you see is the base that goes on to the bike frame... -
I then came across a second hand handrail (the ad said it was from an old H-D). - See pic 2 -
so I decided to create a metal frame so I could fit said rail on the saddle.
Thanks to the helping hand of a local mechanic, I welded a screw to each of the four rings that the handrail originally had (see pic 3).
Then, from a local blacksmith I had two metal plates: they're about 5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide, with a height of about 2/8 of an inch (see pic 4).
Beneath the saddle, I then applied a flat bar of about 12 inches long and 1.5 inches wide (see pic 5), using the screws that are welded to the base of said saddle (see pic 6).
Finally, I bolted the whole thing together and voilĂ  (see pics 7, 8, 9).
The pics 10, 11 and 12 show the final result.
BTW: the pics show a gap between the saddle and the handrail wich is actually much smaller than what it seems, because (as you'll notice) I did not tighten the screws properly; it's just a mock up.

Really like that setup...thanks for posting.

greenbarn

My seat rail is brass, to go with this bike.  I had a chrome rail, and I believe it is off of a 1500 - but it came on my 800 when I bought it.  I built my new brass rail, patterning it off of the chrome one I already had.   Mad a jig from a truck wheel and bent the brass around it. 

No Worries

Trall

Mittico and Greenbarn  Love those seat and rail setups.  Great job

chief

thanks, I'll get the links page going shortly.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

mittico68

Ok. I've done my homework and here's the result...
I firstly bought a seat pan plus springs and a "T" bracket (see pic 1) - BTW: the "T" bracket is not visible in that pic; the black bar that you see is the base that goes on to the bike frame... -
I then came across a second hand handrail (the ad said it was from an old H-D). - See pic 2 -
so I decided to create a metal frame so I could fit said rail on the saddle.
Thanks to the helping hand of a local mechanic, I welded a screw to each of the four rings that the handrail originally had (see pic 3).
Then, from a local blacksmith I had two metal plates: they're about 5 inches long and 1.5 inches wide, with a height of about 2/8 of an inch (see pic 4).
Beneath the saddle, I then applied a flat bar of about 12 inches long and 1.5 inches wide (see pic 5), using the screws that are welded to the base of said saddle (see pic 6).
Finally, I bolted the whole thing together and voilĂ  (see pics 7, 8, 9).
The pics 10, 11 and 12 show the final result.
BTW: the pics show a gap between the saddle and the handrail wich is actually much smaller than what it seems, because (as you'll notice) I did not tighten the screws properly; it's just a mock up.

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

Contact GreenBarn he built a really nice one for his 800.....he might be able to steer you in the right direction.....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Old Drifter

Quote from: Trall on August 15, 2017, 11:46:44 AM

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-SEAT-RAILS-Drifter-800-1500-vulcan-vn-drifter800-drifter1500-rails-seat-/192269247524?hash=item2cc423e424:g:WGoAAOSwXetZXVe8

If your taking about the original Kaw. 1500 solo seat rail those are rare and hard to find (those can easily be adapted to fit the 800 by securing solo seat rail to 800 seat brackets with bolt, nut, and local washer).  On eBay someone made and selling a different version for the 800 and 1500 seat rail.  I don't anything about the EBau ones or the seller.  Its a newer item someone starting selling.  Maybe someone here bought one and can post review.  They look sharp and very similar to originals.  I have a original and its like the diamond of a ring for just cool looks.

Trall, that seller has been an ebay member since 6/25/2016, no sales and has no, zero (0) feedback. Also, they are located overseas in Belarus, so if there's a fitment problem returns that are to be paid by customer could be quite costly. Something to consider, I'm just say'n.
Gene

1999 Drifter

mittico68

Ok Chief, I'll do my homeworks... ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

mittico68

Trall, that grabrail is quite particular: as far as I can see by the pics, it stands fairly parallel to the ground, rather then being as vertical as almost all the rest...

I love my swingin' bike!

Trall

http://www.ebay.com/itm/STEEL-SEAT-RAILS-Drifter-800-1500-vulcan-vn-drifter800-drifter1500-rails-seat-/192269247524?hash=item2cc423e424:g:WGoAAOSwXetZXVe8

If your taking about the original Kaw. 1500 solo seat rail those are rare and hard to find (those can easily be adapted to fit the 800 by securing solo seat rail to 800 seat brackets with bolt, nut, and local washer).  On eBay someone made and selling a different version for the 800 and 1500 seat rail.  I don't anything about the EBau ones or the seller.  Its a newer item someone starting selling.  Maybe someone here bought one and can post review.  They look sharp and very similar to originals.  I have a original and its like the diamond of a ring for just cool looks.

Quote from: freebrd1230 on August 06, 2017, 21:07:51 PM

hello,

I am looking for a solo seat ring, does anyone know where I can find one?

thanks

chief

Quote from: mittico68 on August 08, 2017, 02:15:57 AM

Not really hard: I made a metal structure that goes under the seat, just to be able to attach the grabrail.
BTW, I've got a spring seat, not the oem saddle...
If you're interested, I'll post some pics of the whole thing.

If you can send me the pics and a write up on what you did, I'll add it to our mods section... LINKS in the upper nav bar.
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

freebrd1230

mittico68

Not really hard: I made a metal structure that goes under the seat, just to be able to attach the grabrail.
BTW, I've got a spring seat, not the oem saddle...
If you're interested, I'll post some pics of the whole thing.

I love my swingin' bike!

freebrd1230

how hard was it to modify?

mittico68

If you mean "grabrail", keep in mind that is quite rare to find...
That is the reason why I bought a used one: it was an old H-D grabrail, that I've then adapted to my bike's seat.

I love my swingin' bike!

freebrd1230

hello,

I am looking for a solo seat ring, does anyone know where I can find one?

thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk