Canvas Saddlebags

Started by Pete, March 19, 2017, 01:57:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zoar

Quote from: Pete on March 19, 2017, 01:57:30 AM

Post WWII army surplus webbing was plentiful and was sometimes used for saddlebags; as a poor student I did in the mid 1970s.

I thought this might look good on a Drifter and have tried it with repro US Army 1942 pattern M36 Musette packs.

The packs shape is partly maintained by an aluminium armature that I fabricated in my garage. I've kept the shoulder straps on the bag so that if I ever want to I can take them off the frame and use them as throw-overs on a dual seat.

Baddasss.

Pete

Quote from: JagLite on March 19, 2017, 22:15:48 PM

That looks great!
More pics please, and more info.
Did you sew them up from the pattern?

I didn't sew them up - I wouldn't have the skill!  "1942 Pattern" just means that the particular design was accepted into military service in 1942. The repro bags are used by re-enactors and are available on ebay
Ride safe, live long and prosper.

chief

I typically use US Cavalry saddlebags... brown leather. They are throw overs. Works fine if you don't want to pack a lot. But, you are right the canvas are "vintage" looking.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Aimee.L

Wow,  those came out pretty cool. Good job

Keep the shiny side up :)

Pete

Thank you chaps. The bags are modern reproductions and can be found on ebay. They are pretty cheap. I made up an aluminium armature that fits inside and keeps them in shape. Slots are provided for mini-bungees to hook into so that things like spare fuel bottles are held secure.

JagLite

That looks great!
More pics please, and more info.
Did you sew them up from the pattern?

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

CDNRatMan

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

OR Seedman

those bags look really sharp!

OR Seedman

Pete

Post WWII army surplus webbing was plentiful and was sometimes used for saddlebags; as a poor student I did in the mid 1970s.

I thought this might look good on a Drifter and have tried it with repro US Army 1942 pattern M36 Musette packs.

The packs shape is partly maintained by an aluminium armature that I fabricated in my garage. I've kept the shoulder straps on the bag so that if I ever want to I can take them off the frame and use them as throw-overs on a dual seat.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk