Bike quits running but starts back up again.

Started by Tristar500, May 24, 2020, 16:30:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

rob f

Could be a fuel tank vent problem causing vapor lock. If you have a spare key put it in the fuel cap. At the first sign of shutdown reach over and pop open the cap and see if the bike comes back to life.

Shouldn't have to tell you but i will anyway......... don't try this if you have a full tank as you may spill out gas. If it is a vent problem it shouldn't happen with a full tank anyway.
The previous owner of my bike had this problem but it has never happened to me.............yet.
R

Tristar500

I've ordered an air filter and I'm going to pull the plugs to see what they look like.

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

My experience has been; If it sputters or stumbles as it dies = fuel related problems. If it cuts dead off = electrical problems. Just my 2 cents worth. Hope you can get things resolved quickly and frugally. Happy drifting, CDD

Tristar500

Quote from: Troll on May 25, 2020, 07:21:56 AM

My W-650 would do this, now and then. It turned out to be a loose battery connection.  Just a thought

I'll pull the seat and check it out. Strange it doesn't have any other electrical problems and it cranks over every time and both starter and batter seem strong.

mittico68

Mmmmh, it looks like a bad mixture: check out your carburetor.
I've had the same problem last year, after having put on a full open air filter. This caused the mixture to be too lean, because of the big amount of air coming from said filter.
So I had to turn 3 times counterclockwise the mixture screw of the carburetor. And now she goes like a dream!

I love my swingin' bike!

Troll

My W-650 would do this, now and then. It turned out to be a loose battery connection.  Just a thought

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Tristar500

I've got an 05 Drifter and I'm having trouble with it cutting out while driving down the road. It did it one time a few years ago on the highway and I just coasted to the shoulder checked fuel, etc.. and then it just started right up and never did it again until now.

I'll be riding along and then it feels like someone flipped the kill switch. Sometimes I can restart before coasting to a stop and so far it starts right back up. It's got gas. Tried moving the petcock into different positions, still doing it. It died 7 times on an otherwise 20 minute ride. Each time restarting every time.

Got to my destination and on the ride home it never hiccuped once.

Thinking bad coil?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk