Prop-Stand Pivot Improvement

Started by Pete, September 13, 2017, 07:18:45 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

Quote from: Bucko on September 15, 2017, 00:46:09 AM

Sorry, I was thinking about the fitting being on the front/head of the bolt.

The original, temporary, version did have the nipple on the top.

This morning I fitted the one pictured above with the nipple of the thread end. I also made a shaped 0,55mm shim to take out the play in order to further reduce wear. It works great.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

Bucko

Quote from: Pete on September 14, 2017, 05:55:27 AM

Inventions of the Devil, sir, get thee behind me!

I can't imagine how I would break one, but even if I did I'd just extract the stub and fit a new one, or modify another bolt; the bolts are as cheap as chips.

Sorry, I was thinking about the fitting being on the front/head of the bolt.

Pilgrim

knew what you were refering to, I always called it a kickstand. Good idea.

Pete

Quote from: Bucko on September 13, 2017, 22:39:49 PM

Groovey idea!

If I might recommend.....  You could used one of those 'button' grease  fittings (as opposed to a nipple) so there's nothing sticking out to break off (of course, then you'd have to use a grease 'needle'  so that could be a downside).

Inventions of the Devil, sir, get thee behind me!

I can't imagine how I would break one, but even if I did I'd just extract the stub and fit a new one, or modify another bolt; the bolts are as cheap as chips.

Bucko

Groovey idea!

If I might recommend.....  You could used one of those 'button' grease  fittings (as opposed to a nipple) so there's nothing sticking out to break off (of course, then you'd have to use a grease 'needle'  so that could be a downside).

greenbarn

Have to admit, nipples are preferable to zerks any day..... 8)

That's a good mod, Pete.

No Worries

Old Drifter

Quote from: CDNRatMan on September 13, 2017, 11:02:39 AM

Ok Pete as you pointed out to the US chaps that a grease nipple to us is a common word and for them Yanks it is a Zerk fitting. But you might want to tell them that a prop-stand is the side stand, they might be looking for something else all day and not find it....... 8) ::) lol......

I always knew where the prop-stand was on my motorbike. ☺
Gene

1999 Drifter

CDNRatMan

Ok Pete as you pointed out to the US chaps that a grease nipple to us is a common word and for them Yanks it is a Zerk fitting. But you might want to tell them that a prop-stand is the side stand, they might be looking for something else all day and not find it....... 8) ::) lol......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Pete

Taking the prop-stand off to grease the pivot is a pain because of the strength of the spring, as I found the first time I tried it. As a consequence I think that few people bother, leading to wear in the frame lug. This is a Bad Thing (Apologies to Messrs. Sellar and Yateman).

As a quick fix I modified my existing pivot bolt by adding a grease nipple (a Zerk to you US chaps) to the head of the pivot-bolt. That worked OK, but the bolt had distinct wear marks so I ordered a replacement.

The new mod has the grease-nipple fitted to the underside where it is not noticeable. The grease gets pumped into a shallow groove so that it is distributed all around the bolt. When I fit the new one I'll shim the pivot as well and that will also help to reduce wear.

The prop stand will now get a lube everytime I do the rear suspension.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk