Fog / Spotlight damaged by vandal!! Need help finding replacement.

Started by Otterboy, June 08, 2018, 15:16:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Otterboy

Hi -

As GB stated, everything is plug and play.
I did a good deal of homework, and testing before settling on the H4 and H3's I am using.
I have easily logged at least 4000 miles since dropping in the LED's, and have not had any issues.

As for installation?  It really couldn't be simpler, and should only take about five minutes per lamp.

Since the LED's are direct replacements for the traditional lamps, you can pull up any YouTube video of how to change a bulb in a headlight (for both an H4 and an H3 lamp).

Let me know if you have any other questions.
Phillip
The road less taken -
(No soccer moms)

mittico68

Quote from: greenbarn on July 15, 2018, 21:17:48 PM

No special devices needed to change the headlight or spots to LEDs --   Just if you change turn signals, you need to use an LED with a built-in resistor or you need to add a resistor --  this is to match the resistance of the original bulbs.  If you do not, the self-cancelling turn signals won't work correctly, and they will likely blink fast too.

Thanx GB.
Now I need to discover the how's to, about plugging them...

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

No special devices needed to change the headlight or spots to LEDs --   Just if you change turn signals, you need to use an LED with a built-in resistor or you need to add a resistor --  this is to match the resistance of the original bulbs.  If you do not, the self-cancelling turn signals won't work correctly, and they will likely blink fast too.

But the spots can be changed directly.

I'll be interested to see how long they last - I switched my spots to LEDs about 3 years ago, and they only lasted a couple thousand miles before they broke inside the light.  Hopefully you found some that will stand up to the vibration better.

No Worries

mittico68

Otterboy, your infos are very helpful, as I was just thinkin' about switching my spotlights to led's.
But I'd like to know if the ones you talked about need some rectifier, too.
And I also need to understand if they're good for those of mine, wich are 60's HD ones...

I love my swingin' bike!

Otterboy

Hi Everyone -

I will post updated photos in the next couple of days, but I wanted to thank everyone once again for your support in getting my baby back together.
It has a new winsdcreen, brake lever, throttle grip, and of course the spotlight.  Looking good....

As for the bulbs in my lights - Yes they are indeed LED's, and thay are amazing!  After trial and error, I have found fantastic, high powered H3 lamps, that have performed incredibly.
You can find them here for $20.00 for a pair.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XK9THPF/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o07_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Now for the H4 in my headlight -
There is a company called Cyclops Adventure Sports that has designed two versions of the H4 (the make H3's as well).  They make a 3800 Lumen, and a 7000 Lumen Version (the one I am using) ---- YES 7000 LUMENS!  This thing rocks!!!
I enjoy night riding, and I cannot figure out how I made it without this lamp.  It's a bit pricey, but you won't be sorry.
You can get it here -
https://www.cyclopsadventuresports.com/Cyclops-100-H4-LED-headlight-bulb_p_192.html

All bulbs went in without an issue.  When installing the H4, you will need to secure the control box with a small cable tie...

Let me know if you have more questions folks...

Phillip
The road less taken -
(No soccer moms)

Old Drifter

Quote from: Bucko on July 05, 2018, 00:07:27 AM

Are those LED 'bulbs' you have in those spots?  Curious what you have there and if they are LED, how they work.

They look like it (LED's) from here. I'm curious too.
Gene

1999 Drifter

Bucko

Are those LED 'bulbs' you have in those spots?  Curious what you have there and if they are LED, how they work.

Trall

Thats horrifying to find your Drifter tipped over.   Looks like a beauty.    Was it done in a public spot or by your home?  Prob not any video cameras from neighboring properties but maybe.   What kind of scum would mess with a piece of art Drifter.  Who knows maybe some dumb kid wanted to sit on it and got scared when it was going over or something.
At least it was not worse and you can get her back to perfect.

Otterboy

I would like to thank everyone that replied to my post, and especially praise Seedman for coming through with the spotlights.

They are exactly what i needed, and are in amazing condition.

I will get them on the bike, and post a picture of my ride when the work is completed.

I value being part of this forum, and hope to be able to contribute in the future...

Thanks again -

Phillip

The road less taken -
(No soccer moms)

mittico68

I also do confirm: it's a F&S lightbar.
Now for the spotlights, you can grab those from Seedman.
Or you can hound over the internet, as I did: I've found a pair of HD 60's used spotlights, for a very cheap price. They were a bit rusty, but after a good polishing and a hand of black paint, they're now perfect for ma-deuce.

I love my swingin' bike!

Pilgrim

OR Seedman

I have a set of matching Fire & Steel spotlights...they were on my 800.  I will let them go for $50 plus shipping.  PM or email me if you are interested.  they have brand new bulbs and are in very good shape...no rust or pitting...I would post a pic, but they are up at my research farm office....

OR Seedman

Pete

Definitely the original Kawasaki Fire and Steel.  These occasionally turn up as used items on ebay, and I've even seen a couple of NOS sets. Just keep looking and one will turn up.
It's worth looking up the part number and using that as a search term on ebay and Google. My notes tell me that the Part No is  K32001-006, but its worth checking that is correct.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

Otterboy

I cannot thank you enough for the helpful reply my friend.

Sadly - The culprit still walks unscathed...

Now for the fun part.  What to do about the damage....

In a perfect world, I would just order a replacement, but i am guessing the original part is no longer available.
I would love to pick your brain (or anyone else on this forum for that matter), about any options you may know of.
Having seen the picture of the damage, would you think it is repairable?
I am saddened, really just want to make my baby whole again.
Please let me know if you have any suggestions or sources for parts that could get me back on the road to peace and fulfillment.

Best regards,

Phillip

The road less taken -
(No soccer moms)

Troll

That's the original Fire and Steel setup. I have it, too...Sooo, did you catch the little bugger and thrash him good?

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Otterboy

Hi Everyone -
My amazing 2003 Drifter 1500 was just damaged by a vandal that knocked it over on a hill...

Mostly lucky, as everything damaged is easily replaceable - Except.....  one of the spotlights has been damaged, and needs to be replaced.
I bought the bike used, and have no idea where the original lightbar came from.  I have searched the web, and neither I. nor my dealer can nail this down.
I would be eternally grateful if someone could help point me in the right direction.  I will do whatever it takes to either find a new matching headlight (or pair), or the identical lightbar.  To be honest, I love this lightbar layout just the way it is, including the turn signal layout.  There was plenty of room for the LED replacements that i put in them, and the shape is just awesome!
I am attaching pictures to give you all something to go on..  If you need additional Pics, just let me know.

Thanks Everyone -
Phillip

The road less taken -
(No soccer moms)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk