Drifter Windshield Decal

Started by Pete, August 09, 2018, 06:36:42 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

T14b

Pete

Just send me your address in a message and I'll put a couple in the post for you.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

T14b

Quote from: Pete on August 15, 2018, 11:40:06 AM

The decals have arrived earlier than promised.
The outline is a little more noticeable than the original Kawasaki sticker, but good enough for me. I'm having trouble getting a photo of one on my new Rifle blade - too many reflections. I will post one when I manage to get a good shot.

Pete,
Are you selling these?  Looks like you got a few to spare!

kw-retrorider

ok...038s then, like Bucko's photo, with the narrow band and 5 bolts.

chief

Looks like K46001-038 from the picture. We had 4 of these(without hardware) we found at a Kaw dealer selling off old stock (several years ago).

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Bucko

I've had this windshield in the box for at least 15 years.  I'll have to find the box (it's buried in the garage somewhere -  I took the photo some time ago).

Pete

Quote from: Bucko on August 30, 2018, 03:59:19 AM

Attached is a pix of my 'still in the box' F&S Windshield.

!!!
Where did you get it?
Have they got any more?
For completeness, please tell us the part number on the box.

Bucko

Attached is a pix of my 'still in the box' F&S Windshield.

chief

RECAP:
1. Drifters did not come with shields, you had to add them.
2. Drifter shields work on both 800 and 1500.
3. There were two styles of KAW hardware over the years. K46001-038 and K46001-023 (024 for black).
4. 038 has 5 hole hardware (top band), narrow bands, these have the decals being discussed5. 023/024 has 6 hole hardware (top band), wide bands. , 023/024 has a decal on the wide strap. 6. There are several different shape, height, tint and size shields - they differ by brand. Kaw had two styles: Standard and Vintage from what I can find.
7. It is commonly believed National Cycle was originally contracted to produce Drifter shields. 8. Rifle and National Cycle makes replacement "plastic" for the Drifter. Other companies also make replacement plastic. You use the hardware you currently have.

Pete's decals work on the 038 shields. There is not enough space under the band on the 023/024, but they will fit on the outside of the verticals. I received two from him yesterday. They look very good and would be a good addition for those who don't already have them.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pete

Quote from: kw-retrorider on August 25, 2018, 05:56:07 AM

I know you guys have figured this out, but just for the record.....have a 2002 and a 2005 800....both came with the WS1 windshield and the decal on the inside surface.

No, the "WS1" picture posted by Chief above is the Rifle replacement for the windshield that comes in the K46001-038 kit. That photo posted by Chief was boosted by him, or somebody else, from Rifle's website - this page: https://rifle.com/Kawasaki-Vulcan-1500-800-Drifter-Vintage-Replacement-Windshield-99--P2340.aspx

It is a different shape to the 038 windshield - if yours has a sticker then it is an 038, and if you do a side-by-side comparison you will see that they are somewhat different. Here are both together:

kw-retrorider

I know you guys have figured this out, but just for the record.....have a 2002 and a 2005 800....both came with the WS1 windshield and the decal on the inside surface.

Pete

It's difficult to get a picture of it in place because of all the reflections.

chief

You are correct, the 56051-1810 is for the decal on the 46001-023 and 024 windshields (and all the wide band versions).

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pete

The decals have arrived earlier than promised.
The outline is a little more noticeable than the original Kawasaki sticker, but good enough for me. I'm having trouble getting a photo of one on my new Rifle blade - too many reflections. I will post one when I manage to get a good shot.

Pete

Quote from: chief on August 14, 2018, 10:10:22 AM

I've gone back and researched the archives. I have been able to piece together some information.

Mine is K46001-023 (black version is 024).

Kaw (apparently) contracted with National Cycle to make the original shields. They created a "Vintage" model which had a certain shaped shield and the one inch strap.
In 2001, when Drifter went chrome, the decal was on the "new" shield. This was K46001-038.

At some point, they added K46001-023 and 024 ( sometimes referred to as "Standard" model) to the F&S line. This had the wide band in either chrome or black and the shield shape was a different from 038. It also had 6 holes on the horizontal strap vs 5 on the 038.

Also, I see back in 2011 we had 4 NOS replacement plastic for 038 for sale, and these DID have the decal.

So for Drifters you could have either the 038 or 023/024. The 038 had decals, the 024 had decals for the wide band, but you paid $35 extra for them.

Back in 2007 I researched 800 shields for someone and came up with this:
The whole windshield is P/N - K46001-038 ($439.95)
The plastic is P/N - K46001-031 ($164.95)
The windshield emblem is P/N - 56051-1810 ($39.95)
For those searching for replacement plastic:

The 038 is a 5 hole shield. 023 is a 6 hole shield. So for replacement plastic be sure you know which hardware you have.

You may find either of these on 800's or 1500's.

Rifle lists replacement plastic:

For 023/024:https://rifle.com/Vulcan%201500-800%20Drifter%20Standard%20(Kawasaki)%20Replacement%20Windshield%20(99-)-P2321.aspx
For 038:https://rifle.com/Kawasaki%20Vulcan%201500-800%20Drifter%20Vintage%20Replacement%20Windshield%20(99-)-P2340.aspx

Thanks again, that is very useful.
I've just taken delivery of a Rifle replacement blade for my K46001-038, and I have to say I'm not particularly impressed. I'll put up a post describing the problems with it some time soon.

With regard to the -038 parts breakdown (which I'd picked up on in another forum with the help of the nice Mr. Google), 56051-1810 isn't the right number for  the sticker. That 56051-1810 part number belongs to a large metal emblem that sits in the centre of the wide horizontal trim of a windscreen, and is listed as being for the VN1500-Gx and VN1500-Lx. I've seen a photo of one in a parts bag.
I'm also slightly skeptical about the number for the replacement plastic. I have tried, but been unable to verify it.

chief

I've gone back and researched the archives. I have been able to piece together some information.

Mine is K46001-023 (black version is 024).

Kaw (apparently) contracted with National Cycle to make the original shields. They created a "Vintage" model which had a certain shaped shield and the one inch strap.
In 2001, when Drifter went chrome, the decal was on the "new" shield. This was K46001-038.

At some point, they added K46001-023 and 024 ( sometimes referred to as "Standard" model) to the F&S line. This had the wide band in either chrome or black and the shield shape was a different from 038. It also had 6 holes on the horizontal strap vs 5 on the 038.

Also, I see back in 2011 we had 4 NOS replacement plastic for 038 for sale, and these DID have the decal.

So for Drifters you could have either the 038 or 023/024. The 038 had decals, the 024 had decals for the wide band, but you paid $35 extra for them.

Back in 2007 I researched 800 shields for someone and came up with this:
The whole windshield is P/N - K46001-038 ($439.95)
The plastic is P/N - K46001-031 ($164.95)
The windshield emblem is P/N - 56051-1810 ($39.95) <Appears to be for wide band decal>
For those searching for replacement plastic:

The 038 is a 5 hole shield. 023 is a 6 hole shield. So for replacement plastic be sure you know which hardware you have.

You may find either of these on 800's or 1500's.

Rifle lists replacement plastic:

For 023/024:https://rifle.com/Vulcan%201500-800%20Drifter%20Standard%20(Kawasaki)%20Replacement%20Windshield%20(99-)-P2321.aspx
For 038:https://rifle.com/Kawasaki%20Vulcan%201500-800%20Drifter%20Vintage%20Replacement%20Windshield%20(99-)-P2340.aspx

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Old Drifter

Mine is also the 038 chrome trim like the first windshield. It had the Drifter decal.

Gene

1999 Drifter

Pete

Thanks Chief.
All four of the windshields that I have found have the 038 style of trim, like the upper photo (the three 99990s are all the same except for the finish of the metalwork).

I've seen quite a few Drifters with the style seen in the lower photos, but haven't yet found paperwork that links them specifically to the Drifter.

I have identified at least one other windshield that will fit the brackets for the part numbers I've listed, and one or two more that will fit with spacers, and lots that won't fit - there are a LOT of Kawasaki windshields out there.

Could you do me a favour please and post a photo of the mounting brackets that you have and let me know the Kawasaki part number if you have it? In slow time I'm putting together an illustrated list of all the Kawa / F&S accessories that I can fine for the 800.

chief

I AM the only owner and I bought the windshield new from the Kaw dealer in 2002, but you sparked/refreshed my memory.

I have included pics below of F&S windshields we see on Drifters. (Disregard the plastic shapes.)

The first is likely the one you have and are referring to, and the one intended to have the decal.  I think this was the 038 Drifter shield you mentioned. Lots of room for a decal!

The second is the one I and many others have on our Drifters. Not much space for decals on this shield.  I've replaced the plastic twice, using plastic for the Drifter.

#3 is my bike.

We won't get into the different parts floating around Europe!!  8)

That decal would look good on the inside rear window of my truck!

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pete

Quote from: chief on August 09, 2018, 09:38:50 AM

I'm sure people will be interested.

As you know no Drifters came with windshields, they were all add-on accessories. My Kaw F&S windshield didn't have a decal like that, but I have a 1500 and a 2002 so perhaps it was either 800 or year specific? ??? , not that it matters much. I have seen it before and It's a nice addition.

Keep us advised.

I believe that you are right that for the Drifter they are all accessories. I have only found four so far listed for the Drifter. One was the K46001-038  and the other three were 99990-114 A, B & C. All four come with the Drifter sticker.

I have come to suspect that the 99990 series accessories were designed and/or made in Germany, but cant yet be certain. I also don't yet know for sure that the 99990 parts are F&S although they do turn up in what appears to be official Kawasaki catalogues.

I know that the blades with trim for the four kits above are interchangeable. I also know that other F&S windshield blades with trims listed for other bikes will fit the brackets from these four kits, although the screens have different profiles.

Perhaps you had a replacement blade (the clear plastic part in UK speak) or perhaps a previous owner had removed the decal (sticker).

The stickers are on order, so let's hope that they are good enough quality to grace our Drifters.

Old Drifter

When I found my Drifter windshield it was NOS in the box and came with all the mounting brackets. The windshield had the same "Drifter decal/sticker on it that Pete posted. Since the windshield was NOS, the place where it was stored caused the decal/sticker to shrink and deform. After I peeled it off, I used "GOO GONE" and a soft cloth to safely remove the glue left behind. GOO GONE is great stuff, it didn't harm the windshield in the least. 

Gene

1999 Drifter

Bucko

I have a brand new original F&S Drifter windshield still in the box.  Pretty sure the drifter emblem is on it  - I'll need to take it out of the box to confirm.  I always thought the emblem was engraved or embossed - but honestly never looked closely at it.

chief

I'm sure people will be interested.

As you know no Drifters came with windshields, they were all add-on accessories. My Kaw F&S windshield didn't have a decal like that,, not that it matters much. I have seen it before and It's a nice addition.

Keep us advised.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Pete

I'm keeping my E2 in its factory state. However, I am replacing the windshield blade because it's getting a bit dull and scuffed in places. I can't get a Kawasaki original blade, so I'm getting one from Rifle.

All four of the Drifter windshields of Kawa origin of which I am aware came with a Drifter Decal, and because I'm keeping mine original I'm getting a batch of repro decals made.

If they turn out to be of adequate quality I might offer them on the forum if there is enough interest. Please let me know if you might be interested.

The decal looks like this (reversed because it's stuck on the inside of the windshield):

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk