1500 Vibration

Started by 49Reo, July 04, 2009, 18:40:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

chief

Quote from: moto on July 19, 2018, 03:28:24 AM

Hi guys!

I have also Drifter 1500 and factory pipes with factory Drifter connections but still bike shakes.
Do I must to loose little these connection nuts so exhaust connection is not so tight to the bike?

Also I have removed some inner plates from the baffle, is this one reason why my bike shakes.

If everything is strictly OEM, then you have a problem unrelated to the pipes. NO you don't loosen the exhaust nuts, that would cause an exhaust leak which will impact the bike negatively. The pipes might shake but if they are properly rubber mounted most of that vibration is not transmitted to the biked.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

moto

Hi guys!

I have also Drifter 1500 and factory pipes with factory Drifter connections but still bike shakes.
Do I must to loose little these connection nuts so exhaust connection is not so tight to the bike?

Also I have removed some inner plates from the baffle, is this one reason why my bike shakes.

49Reo

Howdy;thanks for your input; I like the sound of the Longshots, but like the looks of the Bagger Duals; kind of leaning towards that. Time (and finances) will tell;
Regards, 49Reo :-\

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

pcarrell

If I might make a suggestion on the pipes...............

My bike came with Vance & Hines Longshots, and they sound great, BUT..........

They sit higher up the side of the bike then some other pipes.  That means I'm more limited on the depth of the saddlebags I can use.  I can only have saddlebags about 12 inches deep.  I think Roadhouse and some of the other brands have pipes that sit lower, and therefore you aren't as limited on saddlebag selection.

Just a thought..............

49Reo

Great, thanks! (I still want to buy something loud and shiny though!) Regards,;D

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

chief

You will have the same problem with ANY pipes made for the drifter (except oem). To eliminate the problem you really need to buy the right side peg bracket for the CLASSIC. Then any pipes made for the classic will fit. If you want to use pipes made for the drifter you will need to fab a hanger for the pipes that fits the classic peg bracket. The plans for those are on the web site. That's what I did on mine.

Cheers.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

49Reo

Well; I took the bike for a good run, it does seem to be the pipes causing the vibration; maybe this is a good excuse to shop for something lous and shiny.....hmmm.
Again, thanks for the info. ;D

RIP

chief

Yeah, no reason these bolts should be under that sort of stress. The pipes really should be rubber mounted like the engine.

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

49Reo

Well now. That just might be it. I found a broken mounting bolt and the other one was loose; the vibration issue started after I replaced the broken bolt and tightened the loose one. I will be checking this out as soon as I get some days off and can go for a test ride.
Many thanks;
49Reo ;D

RIP

chief

The cobra pipes may be causing the problem if they are hard mounted... the drifter engine is a rubber mount engine. If the pipes are drifter pipes, they mount to the right side peg mount using a solid mount - which is a real problem... You WILL feel additional vibration and put a lot of stress on the pipes as well.

There are fixes for this. But to see if this is your problem, loosen the mount and see if the vibration lessens.

Fixes can be found in the mods/tips section of the website, under exhausts. You will need to purchase a right side peg mount for a vulcan classic and make a bracket for the pipes.

Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

quadzila

I RECENLY PERCHASED A 2000 1500 DRIFTER.IT ALSO HAS A VIBRATION.SEEMS TO BE COMING FROM RT SIDE COVER ON ENGINE.
WHEN I HOLD THE THROTTLE 1/4 WAY OPEN OR SO THE HOLE MOTER VIBRATES,WITCH MAKES THE BIKE VIBRATE.
A GUESS  MABY A BALENCER OR SOMETHING ON THAT SIDE OF THE MOTER????????????????????????????
IS YOUR PROBLEM SIMULAR???DOES ANY ONE HAVE ANY IDEAS?
THANKS ED 

49Reo

Hi, tires are brand new, problem doesn't appearto be coming from there; I cam lock the throttle and let go of the bars, she goes straight as an arrow and no vibration from there. Problem seems to be engine related, but no knocks or rattles that I can hear. Could this be a problem with the fual management system or ignition?
Thx; 49Reo ???

RIP

pcarrell

How do your tires look?  It way soyund a bit strange, but the tire condition on our Drifters has a profound effect on the feel of the bike.

49Reo

Hello; went for a ride on my 2002 1500 Drifter the other day, and it seemed to develop a vibration in all gears at lower RPM.e.g. 50-60MPH in 5th gear, that shakes the entire bike. At higher RPM, it seems to go away somewhat; anybody have any ideas? This has never happened before. The only mods to the bike are Cobra 2-1 pipe, and a Power Commander controller. There is only about 9000 miles on the bike, I've put on abot 3500 miles since I bought it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Thx; 49Reo ???

RIP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk