Will a 2007 1500 EFI Engine fit in a 2001 1500 Drifter??

Started by Big Foot, October 27, 2020, 18:54:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tim

Bumping this thread because someone was asking if it's possible to put a later edition engine into an older Drifter frame. Thumbs Up to OR Seedman for proving it can be done!

OR Seedman

thanks to all for the encouragement....I am looking forward to seeing how it performs on a long ride...especially the fuel mileage.  I was getting an average of around 41 mpg with mixed riding....I'm hoping that goes up a little....

OR Seedman

tj

Nice work OR Seedman! An interesting and good read.

mittico68

Yeah, it's good to know that the final result just meets your expectations.
I wish I had your skills...  ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

Tim

Very cool! I'm glad to hear it all worked out so well - please update with more when you can

OR Seedman

So...I was able to get both new wheels balanced and mounted on the bike by mid-morning.  Sun was coming out, so I decided to take the Drifter out for a good test ride.  Well, all I can say is WOW!!  Quite a noticeable difference in engine power and pull....especially at low end.  the difference in torque is significant.  Also, it seems that the gearing is different...seems a little higher at the upper end, especially in 5th.  Or maybe it's the quieter engine itself.  I'll have to check the specs on the 1600 classic.... Anyway, it was worth the effort to me completing this project.  I'm looking forward to getting out and really putting some miles on it soon.  Also, with the taller and thinner front tire, it feels lighter in the turns, but my speedometer is still off....LOL

Like Like x 1 View List
OR Seedman

OR Seedman

thx.  I now have the back wheel ready to go on tomorrow.  Going to be nice out, so I plan on a little ride to get a feel for the new engine and the different size tires/wheels.  Front is now a 19" with a much narrower tire .  The back is close to the same as the stock size  15" 150/90  instead of 16" 150/80.

OR Seedman

greenbarn

Quite a project, Seedman.  Looking really good.  I'm anxious to see how it all goes in the end.   Sorry about your ice storm---  we had a bad one here about 10 years ago and it took a month to clean up the mess. 

No Worries

OR Seedman

So am I...but I gotta wait until we get through the severe ice storm and bad weather we've been having... >:(  I really want a nice day with a couple of good hours riding to get a feel for the new engine and new wheels....

I was woken up at 3:00 am Saturday morning by the sound of my beautiful Autumn Blaze Maple tree disintegrating due to ice accumulation.  What a mess.

Hopefully the weather will give us a break soon....

OR Seedman

Tim

Cool man nice work - I'm looking forward to hearing about the performance increase.

OR Seedman

The air cover is aftermarket....it replaces the stock fake one on the right side and completely removes the one on the left.  The cross-over tube between the cylinders which sits under the throttle-body is also removed.  I had one the sat horizontally on the bike at first..made by Big Thunder Manufacturing.  I removed it and got a different brand...one that sits vertically instead.

OR Seedman

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

Tim

Looks really good!
What is the story on the airbox cover - is that stock on the new engine?

OR Seedman

wheels finally got finished at the powder coating shop.  Got the front mounted today....waiting on a new (correct) valve stem for the rear.  Got really close on the paint match.  Front wheel is a 19" from a Vulcan 88.  Rear is from the same.  Even though the rear is 15" instead of 16", the taller tire going on the rear will help fix my speedo error of 8% (should take it down to 6%)  That's livable. Will be interesting to see if there is much difference in how the bike handles at high and low speeds.....

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

well, I haven't really had a chance to find out yet....been pouring rain for the last couple of days..I only took it down the road about 1/2 mile on the day of the sunny pictures....I didn't have any of my riding gear and it was about 38 degrees outside...as soon as I get a good break in the weather, I will take it out for a break in ride and post my findings...

OR Seedman

Tim

Awesome! How would you compare the new engine vs the old one in terms of power and torque?

OR Seedman

just a quick picture of how I hung the exhaust pipes.  I have a template that I will be taking to my fabricator for a more permanent solution, so if you don't have my bag mounts, you can still use the nomad exhaust.

OR Seedman

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

back together and ready to ride....a lot quieter than it used to be with the V&H Longshots.  Still have the wheels to change, but no hurry on those.  Runs down the road really well.....smooth and quiet.  Plenty of power and low end.

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

the axle spacers from the Drifter front axle will work...it's inside diameter of the wheel opening on one side that needs to be drilled out to 22mm.  the axle from the Vulcan 88 is a smaller diameter, so the interior spacer (rides inside the wheel hub) is to small to fit over the drifter axle.  But to get the correct size spacer (Drifter) that goes inside the wheel hub, you have to drill the wheel hub out a little.  I'm not really sure why there is a spacer inside the hub that the axle goes through, but I think it is to space the bearings correctly (the distance in between them)  I measured the 88 bearing spacer length wise and it is exactly the same length as the Drifter one (70mm) so the bearings have to sit exactly 70mm apart.  One bearing is held in place by a c-clip, but the other one is pressed in and has room to move in or out a little.  All the various spacers on the axle keep it in the correct position. Or so I think......

The brake rotor for the 19" 88 wheel is the exact same as the Drifter...so no problem with the brake caliper....all of the front forks and single brake rotors on the Vulcan 1500's are the same from what I understand.

The correct ID bearings for the drifter axle will press right into the 88 wheel....so that's not an issue

OR Seedman

Bucko

Quote from: OR Seedman on December 24, 2020, 16:59:57 PM

You have to drill out the front wheel axle hole on one side to the same diameter as the Drifter front wheel so the inside spacer can go in that the axle slips through.  The bearings are the same OD but the drifter's are bigger ID due to a thicker front axle.

Could you not have had a axel spacer of the right diameter cut to fit the wheel and installed new bearings with the right ID and OD?

Also, did you have to do anything to get the brake disk to work with the Drifter caliper?

OR Seedman

Also, since I have access to a really good fabricator, I am going to design a standard set of mounting brackets for the Nomad pipes.....both stock and aftermarket.  I want to make them as unobtrusive as possible, so I will have them attach at the rear footrest mounts and go down, angle out and then go straight back behind the pipes.  they will then have a small tab at the end that comes up over the top of the mounting point on the pipes to attach them to.  I've got some designs and measurements already worked out, but will have to wait until after the holidays to get some prototypes made....

OR Seedman

OR Seedman

You have to drill out the front wheel axle hole on one side to the same diameter as the Drifter front wheel so the inside spacer can go in that the axle slips through.  The bearings are the same OD but the drifter's are bigger ID due to a thicker front axle.  that's about it.  The standard 19" Vulcan 88 tire and wheel will fit in the fender....another drifter member did this a while back...can't remember who, but if they are still viewing this forum, here is a shout out to them....

here is a pic of the other drifter I am modeling mine after....I saved this picture a long time ago thinking that some day I would make mine look similar...

If the owner of this pictures is still a member, please do not take offense that I have saved it and re-posted it.  If you want it removed, I have no problem doing so...

OR Seedman

Bucko

Quote from: OR Seedman on December 22, 2020, 17:38:48 PM

oh..and by the way, runs just fine.  nice and smooth.  had a dry lifter at first, but it cleared up after a few minutes.

Awesome!

Bucko

Quote from: OR Seedman on December 22, 2020, 17:36:25 PM

...with Vulcan 88  19" front

Always wondered if this was an option.  What did you have to do to get the front wheel/brake to fit?  Are you using a low profile tire or did you change the fender position?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk