HOW MANY DRIFTERS MADE - Finally an answer!

Started by chief, November 10, 2012, 12:12:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullride28

lIFE IS GOOD  and geting so much better yr to yr haveing rides on the dark side #150 #495  thanks woodcarver. how are the grand kids ?  bullride28  MC&HNY TO ALL.

45 Bravo

Yes the wife wants an 800.

And my daughter would love a 400..

But it will have to wait for the lottery winnings..

CDNRatMan

Shipped to Vancouver and then to ride it to ON......now that would be a cool trip and long .....I think 45 and 49 would look cool having a 400, 800 and 1500 sitting in thier garages.......I like that idea

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

49Reo

What do you think it would cost, to ship one here? Providing it doesn't get stripped on its way here!

Regards and such,
49Reo

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

pcarrell

Quote from: 49Reo on November 13, 2012, 09:19:30 AM

:o They're not exactly giving them away, are they? :o

Regards and such,
49Reo

I noticed that......and ya still have to get them here!

49Reo

Quote from: jmbo on November 12, 2012, 19:54:55 PM

I wasn't aware that they made a 400CC version for Japan. Here's a Japanese website that has listings for them.

http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorcycle/bike/kawasaki__vulcan_400_drifter/summary.html

:o They're not exactly giving them away, are they? :o

Regards and such,
49Reo

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

CDNRatMan

Sorry folks been sitting here just thinking finally I got a deal and won on it...paid $2,500.00 for my blacked out 1999 Drifter 800, all original parts, other then the mirrors......so cool.....45 I hope you can find your spouse a nice 800, she deserves it. PC is just having the green monster rise up again.....

He's probably hatching some Pinky & The Brain style plan to take over the world!

don't know who they are so can not be doing that ......

pcarrell

Don't mention it!  That was one smokin' hot deal!

45 Bravo

Yes Pc, I bought my 99  1500 for $1000, with a kaw/corbin 2 up seat, saddle bags, and backrest & Luggage rack,  AND a corbin solo seat that was customized by a man in Tupelo ms with a Ostrich skin cover, and a solo backrest (also Ostrich skin), and bracket for the solo backrest.

I figure I got a $1000 in seats and backrest/luggage racks..  the bike was free...

The only money spent on the bike was a new front tire, new rear shocks, and gas & oil as needed..

Oh, and thanks for the karma you gave me there on the price of my next one,  I love you too....

45 Bravo

pcarrell

Quote from: 45 Bravo on November 12, 2012, 19:30:23 PM

I have notice that Ratman has been strangely silent since he has discovered his MAY be 1 of 50...

Either he is beside himself joy, passed out on the floor from the shock, or his head is slowly swelling over the new found knowledge of exactly how collectable his bike is over ours (yes i am jealous).

He's probably hatching some Pinky & The Brain style plan to take over the world!
Quote from: 45 Bravo on November 12, 2012, 20:20:58 PM

I am not looking to sell, i am talking about the buying side.

I bought mine for $1000, if in a year or so, i go to get my wife a 800, i would hate to be faced with a $8,000 + sticker shock..

So wit a minute......you're telling me you picked up a Drifter for $1000?  It'd serve you right to have to pay $8000 for the next one just to balance things out! ;D

45 Bravo

I am not looking to sell, i am talking about the buying side.

I bought mine for $1000, if in a year or so, i go to get my wife a 800, i would hate to be faced with a $8,000 + sticker shock..

45 Bravo

jmbo

I wasn't aware that they made a 400CC version for Japan. Here's a Japanese website that has listings for them.

http://motorcycle.goobike.com/motorcycle/bike/kawasaki__vulcan_400_drifter/summary.html

Jimb

Troll

Blue book values are what you make of them. Personally, I intend to keep my bikes until my estate has to figure out what to do with them. Never bought a motorcycle giving even the slightest thought to what it was "worth" in someone else's opinion. The  W was a present to myself for my 60th birthday, and the Drifter was a chance barn find...I only bought 1 motorcycle new in my life, and that one I rode for more than 30 years.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

45 Bravo

I have notice that Ratman has been strangely silent since he has discovered his MAY be 1 of 50...

Either he is beside himself joy, passed out on the floor from the shock, or his head is slowly swelling over the new found knowledge of exactly how collectable his bike is over ours (yes i am jealous).

So, now that the numbers have been made public, how long do you think it will be before the blue books adjust their numbers as to the value of the Drifter?

Or do you think they will stay the same?

As it is, Drifters regularly bring over twice the book value, and that was before the low production numbers hit the street..

45 Bravo

49Reo

I would like to get my hands on one, just for bragging rights!

RIP

pcarrell

No word on 400cc production, except that they were intended for the Japanese market only.

DC

49Reo

Does the 9000 units of each cc unit apply to the 400cc model sold in Japan?

Regards and such,
49Reo

P.S. Btw, my 1500 was a U.S. unit; it came up from Colorado.

RIP

pcarrell

Chiefs first post on this thread stated that 600 of each, 800's & 1500's, were sent to Canada....total.  So that means RatMan's bike is one of 600 of the 800's.  Seeing as that 600 number was spread across all the years available, I'd say there's a good chance it's one of less then 100 for that year.  Add to that there were 2 colors available that year for 800's, and his could be one of only 50 made for Canada that year.

CDNRatMan

Sorry yes meant to mention that the Drifters were made for the European market mores so then the NA market, and a few of them were sent to CDN and Aus for a test run to see how they were looked upon there by riders. An for some reason the figure of 900 is always popping up in that. I'll have to see if I can track done some more info on that number.

pcarrell

waltervl

I see  far more 800 for sale here in The Netherlands (Europe) than 1500, Blacked out and chrome versions. So the 99 models are also sold in Europe.

CDNRatMan

from what I have read and been told the 1999, 800's were only sold in Canada and in Australia as a test market, and 900 were produced of the 1999 800 Drifters now as to how many were sent where I have not been able to find out. So I have a bike like me..... special......

pcarrell

More rare then hen's teeth it would seem.......

The 1500 was from '99 to '05, the 800 was from '00 to '06, with no 800's going to the U.S. until '00 (though Canada got them in '99, making those like RatMan's blackout 800 more rare still).  These are indeed rare birds!

Any numbers on the 400cc model?  I think that was an Asian market only model, but I could be wrong.  I know none were available to North America.

Just curious..........

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk