Black OEM style Levers

Started by Bucko, June 09, 2021, 01:05:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittico68

Like Like x 1 View List
I love my swingin' bike!

Bucko

Black round mirrors to complete the look.   I like the 'round' and I like the 'black' - not sure I like how they look on the bike though - a bit shorter may look better - I may bend them.

Bucko

Got the levers on the bike today along with new bars and grips.

Levers feel like they'll work OK.  Fit of the pivot pin seemed a little looser than the OEM levers but that may be my imagination.

Grips are knock-off Kurakyn (Krator?).  The throttle tube is a bit too tight IMHO.  I greased it and it works well enough and I suspect it'll wear-in a bit.  The little notches that hold the cable ends next to the 'nut hole' were too narrow.  I filed them open a bit with a points file.  They too will probably wear-in a bit (not sure it matters).

I'm not sold on the new bars.  I thought they were the same bars as the set on my other Drifter but they're not - same width but less pullback.  I like how they look but they put me slightly forward - which may be turn out to be fine when I'm riding - the bike won't be on the road for a few months yet so we'll see how the riding position is then.  Zero rerouting of any cables, hoses or wires required (I had to do some rerouting on the other Drifter to accommodate it's 'Beach bars').  Installation was pretty easy - only thing I had to do is grind down the locating pin in the throttle side switch cluster housing.  On these bars there's no pin hole - no big deal as I generally always remove those pins anyway to get the switch clusters rotated to where I want them.  No pin on the LHS.

Original

New Bars, grips levers.

Bucko

Quote from: chief on March 26, 2022, 19:57:30 PM

Thanks for the info.

Your welcome.  The OEM levers seem like they're a simpler (and more robust) design and, assuming they can be disassembled - that may require pushing out that central bushing - powder coating the originals might be a better option.  I'll try that with a spare set that I have once I have a full batch of other stuff that needs to be powder coated too.

chief

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Bucko

I finally received the levers.  They're about a half inch shorter than the OEM levers (that should be OK) and have a slightly different than OEM adjuster mechanism (see pix below).  The adjusters only have 4 positions (OEM have 5) and in typical Chinesium fashion: while settings 1, 2 and 3 progressively move the lever farther away from the bar, position 4 brings the lever closest to the bar.  I was hoping I might be able to swap in the 5 position adjust from the OEM levers but that's a no go.

Can't tell if the finish, somewhere between semi-gloss black and flat black, is paint or powder coat.  It'll be interesting to see how long the finish holds up.

Haven't put them on yet to ensure the fit is right but just eyeballing it looks like they'll fit.  I'll take some before/ after pix of the levers along with new grips and bars when I get around to putting them on.

Like Like x 1 View List

tj

Quote from: Bucko on March 06, 2022, 01:11:59 AM

Also appear to be 4 position adjustable so maybe they're the same ones from webbike that tj mentioned?

Looks like it to me.

Bucko

Ordered a set I found on Amazon: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00XNZ9BEK/ref=ppx_od_dt_b_asin_title_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Curiously, they're no showing as 'currently unavailable' - maybe I got the last set (I don't have them yet)??

They look to be a semi-gloss (I'd prefer gloss but they'll do) black.  All the other ones I found were flat black.  Also appear to be 4 position adjustable so maybe they're the same ones from webbike that tj mentioned?

Old Drifter

Found some on Ebay from the UK. Kawasaki VN 1500 Classic 1998-2002 [OEM Style] [Black Brake Clutch Levers] 

Gene

1999 Drifter

Bucko

I found some flat black ones but I'd prefer gloss back if it's an option.  At this point, I'm considering getting a spare set powder coated.

Bucko

Will Check it out.  Thanks TJ.

tj

About 5 years ago, IIRC I bought mine from Webike in japan. They are black and are 4 position adjustable instead of 5. Maybe worth a visit.

Bucko

Bump.  Sill looking for black OEM style leaver if anyone knows of a source.

Bucko

Anyone know where I can find OEM style adjustable clutch and brake levers only in black (to fit a 99 1500)?  I've seen them over the years on the net, not 100% sure they're for 1500's but they look the same or similar.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk