Newbie from N.E. Texas. Also known as the 4 states area.

Started by Ironworking, July 19, 2016, 19:45:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tj

Ironworking

Quote from: Old Drifter on July 20, 2016, 16:08:50 PM

Welcome to the forum, nice looking Drifter!

The bike looks good at a distance. However, it has a prominent ding/dent in the right side of the tank. The PO built saddlebag brackets out of angle iron and they looked hideous. Moreover, he built the mounts so everything was mounted to the swing arm. You guys know how long that would last! He also built a special mount for a passenger pillon but that too was mounted to the swing arm. Who in the wiggles would want to ride on that?

I immediately took all that off and began again. I have the mounts for the hard bags about 75% done. They need some more stability before I call them done.
I am studying how to build a mount for the passenger seat that looks good and rides just as well.

Bought Roadhouse exhaust from Joe and will be installing those upon arrival!

Also will have the stock exhaust for sale when that is done.

There WILL be more pics when all is done!

I did A LOT of reading my first few days here. And took lots of notes! I appreciate all the help you guys have provided. Saved me a lot of time and head aches!!!

Thank YOU all !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

DC

Quote from: CDNRatMan on July 20, 2016, 16:56:53 PM

Welcome and DC is the oldest the rest of us are in Sparta......

Don't believe him, Ironworking!  Lies, I tell you.  It's all lies!

greenbarn

No Worries

CDNRatMan

Welcome and DC is the oldest the rest of us are in Sparta......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Old Drifter

Gene

1999 Drifter

DC

Welcome to the forum.  Great bunch of folks here.   8)

And don't believe the rumors.  I am NOT the oldest one here.

Ironworking

Thanks guys. I have to get a new front tire before it will pass inspection. And before I will ride! No bald tires for me!

kw-retrorider

Welcome to the Forum. I think you will find the 800 a very capable, comfortable and reliable machine with an old school feel. I'm your age, had a Triumph back in the day, so I also have W650 now, but very happy with the 800 for running the highway.
People on this forum very responsive and knowledgeable. Yours machine looks nice. Good luck with it.

mittico68

Welcome aboard!
Your bike is already a beauty... and you'll be amazed by its smooth ridin'!

I love my swingin' bike!

Ironworking

OK, Figured out how to upload pics! This is how she looked last week when I bought her. She will be somewhat nicer in a few weeks.

Ironworking

Hello. Name is Robert. Almost 60 years old. This is my 29 or 30 bike. Have ridden close to 500K miles in my life time. Have owned both American Iron and most Jap bikes. One Triumph way back in the day. Liked Norton but could not seem to ever find one when the time was right. Do 99.9 % of my wrenching an always have. 8)

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk