Will 1500 Nomad Exhaust fit ?

Started by jamman, February 11, 2017, 10:46:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter-paul

Nicely done, zamecnik247.

I have similiar mounts.

Unfortunately it a long throw from the footpeg bracket to the muffler attachment. I started scrapping when I was hardly leaning going around  a few corners in town. Stopped and where the long tube attaches to the rear edge of the footpeg plate - it had fractured. Had to put a spring rod insert inside each tube and reweld.

Live and learn.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Scotty

Hi Drifter Paul,
I bought the bike with shorties on the right side. I made brackets and put cobra nomad duals on. It was relatively easy.

drifter-paul

Welcome zamecnik247,

Just for clarification - you are referring to two pipes on the right hand side of the m/c attached using the pillion mount on the right side only - i.e. no crossover to the left side ?
If you are only using the original right mount, you need to allow for the fact that the engine vibrates in it's rubber mounts and so must the pipe/s mount/s , either by the rubber washers between the exhaust and bracket (as in the original), or by using the Classic peg(rubber inserts) or other modifications done on this forum. Failure to do this - over the long term - could result in a snapped exhaust header stud or pillion bracket bolt - and they are NOT PRETTY.

This is a very knowledgeable and helpful forum. You will find great people here  :)

Cheers,

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Scotty

Hello,
I somewhat new here. I have put a set of Cobra Nomad Slash Cut pipes on my 1999 Drifter. Its a single seat so I used the passenger foot peg mount as a template for holes, radius and bends. They work very well.

bambam0099

Quote from: drifter-paul on February 16, 2017, 21:28:45 PM

I fitted V & H Nomad Dual Bagger exhausts. I can not find the post describing everything that I
did, but the short answer is DEFINITELY NOT with these pipes. I had to add 38mm to the right header pipe to have the muffler clear the tit on the rear caliper and sit flush and parallel to the bike.

The tips of the muffler also scrape the  ground - being round instead of oval like the original "fishtail" - and I've just had to replace the retaining allen key bolts because they were worn away.

The longshots look to be a lot thinner than the Bagger muffler, and if so , would not have this problem.

I still love the look though, I just have to corner more conservatively to compensate  :-[

Oh man sorry, I didn't see the goat bladder reference.  I thought he was referring to just the V&H.    I only had the Roadhouse for a reference so obviously, your response is much more relevant than mine.
Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
- Ronald Reagan

drifter-paul

I fitted V & H Nomad Dual Bagger exhausts. I can not find the post describing everything that I
did, but the short answer is DEFINITELY NOT with these pipes. I had to add 38mm to the right header pipe to have the muffler clear the tit on the rear caliper and sit flush and parallel to the bike.

The tips of the muffler also scrape the  ground - being round instead of oval like the original "fishtail" - and I've just had to replace the retaining allen key bolts because they were worn away.

The longshots look to be a lot thinner than the Bagger muffler, and if so , would not have this problem.

I still love the look though, I just have to corner more conservatively to compensate  :-[

bambam0099

Quote from: jamman on February 11, 2017, 10:46:43 AM

Wondering if the Nomad 1500 dooleys will fit a 1500 drifter ? Also see some Vance and Hines for 1500 Nomad - go goat bladder and wonder if those would fit also

Any insights appreciated !!

Yes, they will fit but you'll need different brackets.  I had a set of RoadHouse Dooleys for a Nomad/Classic/Drifter and the manual clearly showed the only difference was the mounting brackets.

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
- Ronald Reagan

Old Drifter

Gene

1999 Drifter

greenbarn

I think they "will" fit, with some modifications to the mounting brackets.  I've not done it though, but only read about it.

No Worries

jamman

Wondering if the Nomad 1500 dooleys will fit a 1500 drifter ? Also see some Vance and Hines for 1500 Nomad - go goat bladder and wonder if those would fit also

Any insights appreciated !!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk