Turn signal info + Electrical diagnosis on Dad's 1500

Started by Rougarou, September 12, 2017, 12:24:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rougarou

Quote from: greenbarn on September 15, 2017, 18:33:55 PM

On the fuse issue - which fuse is it?  there are wiring diagrams out  there, but the fuse identity would help.

The issue on your rubber mounts is a common one it seems - I got around it by switching over the 1500 to HD light assemblies.

Ignition fuse. Sorry it took so long to get back with you.
Q: What do you do when all your friends own Harleys?
A: You ride something classier than a Harley.

greenbarn

Quote from: Rougarou on September 12, 2017, 12:24:26 PM

Second thing, Dad still hasn't been able to ride his. It came in Thursday right off the truck with an electrical problem.  He put in the key, turned it, and everything lit up like normal. As soon as he hit the ignition switch, *pow* there goes a fuse.  Replaces it, this time as soon as he turned the key the fuse blew again.  Thoughts?  His normal bike shop told him to unplug the rectifier and see if the fuse still blows and it does.

On the fuse issue - which fuse is it?  there are wiring diagrams out  there, but the fuse identity would help.

The issue on your rubber mounts is a common one it seems - I got around it by switching over the 1500 to HD light assemblies.

No Worries

Rougarou

Update to the above:  So that isn't gonna work. My rubber stalks are were OK, but they were deteriorated, 100% loss of flexibility. A tiny crack formed, ran, and turned into a Y that nearly split the whole thing right in front of my eyes. I got it braced with several tight rounds of electrical tape but I'm going to have to have another Drifter turn signal assembly *or* a new rubber piece.

Got it back functional and street legal at least.

Rougarou

Hello drifters!  Ran across something I hadn't seen yet (although it's probably old news to you all) as well as ask your opinions on an issue Dad's having with his 1500.

1st thing, Nomad tail lights are Drifter turn signals, but with a longer rubber boot.  Same Kawasaki part numbers and all.  I didn't need to replace the boot, as it was only the turn signal that was damaged.  Saved myself $40 because I was able to find a new OEM Nomad turn signal for $21 as long as i used the boot I had.

Second thing, Dad still hasn't been able to ride his. It came in Thursday right off the truck with an electrical problem.  He put in the key, turned it, and everything lit up like normal. As soon as he hit the ignition switch, *pow* there goes a fuse.  Replaces it, this time as soon as he turned the key the fuse blew again.  Thoughts?  His normal bike shop told him to unplug the rectifier and see if the fuse still blows and it does.

They can't get to him for another two weeks.  Do you all have any thoughts as to where his problem might be?  I was thinking a pinched wire on the back of the ignition switch.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk