New post accident 800....

Started by kw-retrorider, January 14, 2018, 16:44:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kw-retrorider

CDNRatMan

kw still hunting for your parts, if you find them let me know........things up here are quiet this time of the year but come March people will be spring cleaning and finding "stuff" they need to get rid of.........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

kw-retrorider

Thanks DC....just got it back from the local Kawi dealer, who I let do the MD inspection. No issues, some general servicing. Had them flush the brake fluid and put a new Shinko Tourmaster  and tube on the back, to get rid of the 10 year Metzler; and turned up the mono shock to "5" from the factory setting of "4"...had a short ride Saturday afternoon in the brief warm spell....rides nice....so I am set for now,  except for getting some bags on it.

For the greater good on the "bafflectomy".....further investigation shows it is only a "partial" bafflectomy, compared to procedures I have read on this forum.

For the 800 guys - If you remove the muffler tip on a stock exhaust, you will see a vertical partition in the back of the remaining muffler, penetrated by a maybe 1.75" pipe stub connected to an itty bitty muffler that is then reduced down on the discharge side to maybe 1 3/8" that is cut at an angle and fits the end of the fishtail tip inside a vertical rectangular cover plate.

Procedures I have read on this forum call for removing the itty bitty muffler, then also the vertical partition.....that opens up the exhaust to the full diameter of the main can. I can see how that might make lots of noise (of an unpredictable nature) and reduce the back pressure to where you'd need to rejet.

The PM on this bike stopped at the itty bitty muffler and left the vertical partition with the 1.75" pipe stub coming out of it...open only to the full diameter of the fishtail tip on the aft side. Result is a little more sound than the stock exhaust, but no mods.  It's growing on me.

Will provide a dedicated thread to this with photos. While still not reversible, it is an easy first step that is economical, does not require any other mods, and does not ruin the muffler forever. Sound videos don't do exhausts justice, but will try to put one on line, so others can here.

So would call this bafflectomy "thoughtful"......Sorry DC, I know you have a 1500, but couldn't help discuss this mod I found.

DC

Congrats retrorider!  I like that word "bafflectomy"!   ;D

kw-retrorider

ratman: since you asked....F&S light bar and spots; and a F&S engine guard....don't have to be black; can be chrome for this one. Any leads welcome. Thanks

CDNRatMan

kw if you need any parts let me know and I'll see if I can help you out......

rob f

Nice catch KW.
No experience with the  Shinko tourmasters ...yet.
Just received my pair of front and back 230 tourmasters last week from Fortnine. Will be running them this summer and maybe we can compare notes. I usually run Metzlers on my other bikes but thought i'd give the Shinko's a try this time. Good price and studied up on the company. Been around since 1946 and currency put out 200,000 motorcycle tire per month. Don't stay in business that long if you build crap.
Curious about the bafflectomy. Anyone elaborate on this one? Can it be reversed? Does the lack of backpressure cause any leaning out of fuel? I intend to Grampsize the air box and run a K&N filter. With all this and a baffleless exhaust am worried about a lean mix.
R.

kw-retrorider

tj: Agree....I like the black on top, which is like the 2002 from the driver's seat, but the Galaxy Silver brightens the bike up from a visibility standpoint (which was a selling point with my wife after the accident). I also like the more subtle maroon pinstripe that picks up the same color in the tank badge.

Ratman: My strategy on the 2002 was to replace parts that came chrome with blacked out parts. I was working toward all but the fork tubes, which on the 2002 are bright. This one may need a more subtle touch. I can see the black tail light, license plate holder and gauge panel all resting on black paint. Not so sure on turn signals and headlight bucket.  Also have the parts that never got on the 2002, like black heal toe shifters and black rear brake pedal. Guido's black bull bar is definitely going on....glad I did not get rid of it.

Any body have experience with the Shinko tires? Because of the mismatch and age at 10 years old, the back tire should go. Have read some good things about the ex yokohama, Shinko Tourmaster, which I had not heard of before this. Seems the easy thing is to match the rear with a new Shinko.

Again, bird in the hand. This bike has no rust on it at all. Just needs a good cleaning. I had two discussion on 2000's that are out there, even with some but not all accessories, mileage is up, some are run down and rode hard....didn't want another project, since I already have one to put back together. That said, Pearl was a nice find.

tj

there's something about black and grey that just looks right...nice!

mittico68

Good catch, Retrorider!
Now, you need to start the hunt for some good accessories... Good luck!

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

Well very nice 800, you done did good on that one....lol......

Very nice colours also.

I am not worried about the blackout issue, if you look very close at Red you will notice only about 4 parts have been powder coated black that were not on the original colour scheme. But now Pearl is getting a whole hockey sock of parts powder coated black that were chrome or aluminum colour.......lol.....

kw-retrorider

As you guys know, I was recently knocked off my 800. The settlement on the machine was favorable, with it being declared repairable and my keeping it with a clean title. That said, I went shopping anyway and although I wanted a blacked out 800, I could not pass up what I found close by at a great price with low miles and very straight.

I still plan on working through the 2002, but this will get me riding in the spring in the interim.

- 2005 with windshield and all the decals still on it
- Saddlemen Bags mounted to the fender. See the other topic I wrote on the saddle bag mounts
- 11K miles
- a neatly done bafflectomy on the stock exhaust which sounds better than I thought based on the discussions here on the forum....not the roadhouse, but not the stock exhaust sound....I might leave it. No pops on deceleration or other untoward sounds.
- mismatched tires....2017 Shinko Tourmaster on the front, but a 2008 Metzler Marathon on the back
- not a groove on either rotor
- very quiet running with no valve noise
- new rear brakes and a recent oil change
- after a trip to PA to inspect and take it down the road on 12/23/17, second tier used bike dealer delivered it to MD from PA for under $3500....hard to pass up. It's about where I started with the 2002 six years ago.....bird in the hand.....

It's half black, so I can black it out some....not as much as the 2002. The two tone on this, although very common because of the multiple years, is growing on me, as is the chrome.

Ratman....your status as king of the blacked out 800s is safe.....

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk