ECM difference

Started by bikerbob5864, December 07, 2018, 00:21:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

OR Seedman

glad to hear you are back up and running.... ;D

OR Seedman

bikerbob5864

Well, replacing the ECM was the right move! Plugged the used one in and filled with fresh fuel................pushed the button and behold.............engine noise! A quick test ride showed all to be operating well and as it should be, so it'll be making the trip to Sturgis this year.

bikerbob5864

Interesting, I'll have to check my Female pins when I put the new one in to be sure. Here's hoping it works.

Bucko

I've never replaced mine but I've had it out lots.  I had a lot of problems with female pins breaking in the ECU harness connectors due to corrosion.  At this point, I've replaced every female pin in both harness connectors.

bikerbob5864

One more thing: is there ANYONE out there who has had to replace an ECM? If so, please contact me.

bikerbob5864

Well, I found a compatible ECM, (21175-1064) and ordered it. It is used, but contacted the seller and this did come off a stock, well running bike.(99 Drifter W/28,000miles) for considerably less than the Partzilla/or Kawasaki OEM stores. I've had it to a local Yamaha dealer who does work on Kawi's, and gave him my shop manual to use. They said all the diagnostics are good also, and they think it is the ECM. ($300.00 for 3hrs of shop time and a set of plugs!!!!) So, we'll see what we can see and what a different ECM does. Otherwise, it's load it up and trailer it 100 miles to spend some more money. There might be a project Drifter for sale soon.............too bad......I love this bike!!!!

bikerbob5864

Just got off the phone with Head Mechanic at Kawasaki Dealer closet to me(100Miles). Bucko, he agrees with your findings that the correct ECM for 99-05 Drifter is Part# 21175-1064. There are no notifications listed that show any number replaces or supersedes that number. He seems to think I'm looking in the wrong direction, since the bike runs but only on a burst of Ether........not on its own. I told him I've done every diagnostic in the manual.......Fuel Pressure is good, Injectors have a good spay and pattern. All fuses and relays test good. Flow charts indicate the ECM as faulty.
I'm not a "parts replacer" type mechanic. I believe in diagnosing the problem and fixing it rather than throwing parts at a problem and hoping you get lucky, but I'm at a loss with this one!  I've had about 4 different opinions, all make sense, all are plausible but none make the damn thing run!!!!

bikerbob5864

I'm checking units advertised on E-Bay. I've got two that came off a 99 Drifter with different numbers(#1  21175-1066, #2 21175-1064) and one that came off a 01 Nomad(21175-1066) Now this shows me that there indeed may be a part # difference......but they are interchangeable. I'm aware of the possible tuning differences, but I think they would be negligible. I'll investigate further.

Bucko

Weird.  I just checked the numbers for an 01 Drifter vs 01 Nomad and they're different: 21175-1064 for the Drifter vs 21175-1066 for the Nomad.  Partzilla shows the same difference  in numbers from a 99 Drifter to a 02 Nomad.  Where are you checking your numbers?

bikerbob5864

I've checked actual part numbers on two ECM's, 1 from a 99 Drifter was the same as one from a '02 Nomad. Tomorrow I will check the numbers on my ECM in the bike and compare all together. I think they will interchange with no issues.

Bucko

Quote from: OR Seedman on December 07, 2018, 06:50:26 AM

part numbers are the same for both bike units...so they should be interchangeable......

Are you sure they're the same?  Seems to me the Drifter and Nomads had different 'tuning' -  I suspect the ECU's are different.  You need to look at the full part number, not just the drawing reference number on the parts fiches.

Having said that, they might still interchange with some minor (maybe) performance issues though - you'd want to make sure the pin out is exactly the same though before trying otherwise you risk frying the ECU or something that's plugged into it.  ECU pinouts are in the service manuals (I think).

OR Seedman

part numbers are the same for both bike units...so they should be interchangeable......

OR Seedman

bikerbob5864

What would be the differences between a 01-05 Drifter 1500 ECM and a 1500 Nomad 01-05. I've seen both and the connections look to be the same and both are the same engine. Reason I'm asking is that I can get a used  ECM, which I need, from a Nomad for $179.00 vs. a new one from Parzilla for $515.00

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk