How's it going?

Started by Tfrank59, January 23, 2019, 09:59:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sparky1971

Looks nice, anything new this year?

2001 DRIFTER 800, CORBIN SEAT, SLASHBACK EXHAUST

tj

Quote from: RockinRollin on April 02, 2019, 06:42:31 AM

Moved to a new house a year ago, bike is 1.5 hours away at my brother's place. Still unpacking. Would like to get a larger windscreen to cut down on the turbulence. Also would like to find lowers that would fit on the Drifter. I was told by a fellow on FB that he had Nomad lowers that fit the fire and steel windshield but he couldn't tell me what part number or year his lowers were from.

You all moved in?...haven't seen any new "RockinRollin" videos in a while.

tj

Quote from: mittico68 on August 15, 2019, 02:42:24 AM

And here's another brief update.
As you can see from the attached pics, I've added a (fake) chrome profile to ma-deuce.
IMHO, it really compliments the bike.

Sure brings out the curve in the fenders!

mittico68

And here's another brief update.
As you can see from the attached pics, I've added a (fake) chrome profile to ma-deuce.
IMHO, it really compliments the bike.

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

That's looking good.   I like the tail light.

No Worries

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

mittico68

Quote from: Tfrank59 on May 05, 2019, 10:38:55 AM

By the way did you ever get your bike running? I know on the other post you were still fighting with the electrical.

Nope. The crusade is still going on and I'm really disappointed, because the ridin' season is open...   :(

I love my swingin' bike!

Tfrank59

I'm with you I want my mods to be reversible also. Really good thinking on how to modify your air box and not mess with the OEM. I just changed over to a K & N since rejetting and the thing runs beautifully all throughout the RPM range. By the way did you ever get your bike running? I know on the other post you were still fighting with the electrical.

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

mittico68

Here's another update about my winter's mods.
I've gone with the full open air filter and carburetor rejetting, but I didn't want to get definitively rid of the OEM snorkel air box, as I just like each mod to be as reversible as possible.
So I've found out that a laundry detergent's cup that was layin' around in my house is perfect for my purpose, as it gave me the chance to close the bottom part of said snorkel, leaving it in place.
This way, I've just had to take off the upper part of the snorkel, disconnect its rubber gasket and put it in said cup (yes, it fits perfectly!): then, I simply placed the cup on the entry hole of the snorkel's bottom part. And voilĂ ! (and no interference by the tank).
Please, take a look at attached pics.

I love my swingin' bike!

Tfrank59

My latest upgrade was to finally get a saddlebag mounted on my bike check out the vid

https://youtu.be/CSO7-oU0Xx8
Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Lucky

As for tach, I have had good luck with these, and have in my 800. 15 bucks, 2 zipties and 3" of electrical tape. Mounted on the bars, near the right clamp
Timorn Inductive Hour Meter for 2 Stroke & 4 Stroke Small Engine, Replaceable Battery Waterproof Tachometer for Marine ATV Motorcycle UTV Engine (Black) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0756VGDTC/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_i_gAUYCbTAZVZWT

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
Michelin Commander II mt/90-16 front 150/80-16 rear
1 3/4 turns on A/F, 1st clip,48 pilot, 160 main - 41mpg
K&N
Marbled and Modified airbox
Vulcan Classic 800 sissy bar
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

mittico68

Brief update.
As most of you already know, ma-deuce is still kept in the garage because of the trubles I'm facin' in tryin' to modify the oem ignition switch.
But this gave me the time to make some more mods.
And here's the last one: a brand new vintage indian style rearlight! Look at attached pics, please.
As you will note, I made a back plate by using the OEM rearlight's one as a template.
Now it's gonna be black painted...

I love my swingin' bike!

Sparky1971

Changed the oil and the filter and a new rear tire.  Hope to see how many miles a Michelin will get on this bike.

2001 DRIFTER 800, CORBIN SEAT, SLASHBACK EXHAUST

Tfrank59

Quote from: rob f on March 28, 2019, 08:06:09 AM

Tom, just an update on the tach.
Just installed my trail tech tach and was super easy. Had to stop and think about the impulse setting because of the Kawi "wasted spark "system. Must have gotten it correct as idle is about 1100 rpm.

I'm glad the trail tech is working for you.  I don't recall exactly but I believe when I hooked mine up it was configured correctly for our bikes--for a v-twin--without changing any settings and was reading correctly as soon as I connected it.  I figured I'd have to mess with that setting (I thought the OEM sets them up for a 4 stroke single--guess not) but was pleased that it worked right from the get-go.  It's not essential but a nice add-on to be able to see RPMs at a glance!  Once in a while I'll be in loud traffic and can't hear my motor (time to make it louder? 8)), so having a tach is kind of essential in that moment.
Tom

RockinRollin

Moved to a new house a year ago, bike is 1.5 hours away at my brother's place. Still unpacking. Would like to get a larger windscreen to cut down on the turbulence. Also would like to find lowers that would fit on the Drifter. I was told by a fellow on FB that he had Nomad lowers that fit the fire and steel windshield but he couldn't tell me what part number or year his lowers were from.

rob f

Tom, just an update on the tach.
Just installed my trail tech tach and was super easy. Had to stop and think about the impulse setting because of the Kawi "wasted spark "system. Must have gotten it correct as idle is about 1100 rpm. Haven't tried it on the road yet as winter isn't done with us yet. Had a real nice stretch of weather and was about one day away from Drifting down the laneway when a storm came in and dropped 8" of wet snow. Should be melted off in about 4 days but another dump is expected in about 5.
Glad to hear that your new  sparkplugs worked. Just like my old boss that apprenticed me said..... "start with the cheap easy stuff first and work your way up"

rob f

Thanks for the numbers. They will be usefull when I install my Trail Tech 742-A00 Tach that I just ordered online. $55 Canadian

Tfrank59

The tach is simple to wire up--Ratman wanted me to send pics and instructions, which I did but now can't find the post.  At any rate, you probably won't be disappointed for $36 or thereabouts.  I hope they'll ship to CA with no problems.  As far as RPM's, I'm using stock sprockets and to do 70 it's somewhere in the high 4's to low 5's, so with your increased gearing you should be fine.  I think the girls can do 4500 all day long with no issues.

Tom

rob f

Thanks for the pic and info. That looks exactly like what i want. I just need something inexpensive to tell me what the engine is doing at gear shifting points. I"ve read that this engine is an over-square and is meant to run at higher rpms. I'm still muck'in around with sprockets and still seems like it's underpowered in 5th. i am now running a 17/38 combo  A tach reading may tell me that i can run higher in 4 on the hyway. Most of my cruising would be between 60-70 mph. Maybe this is 4's range with my sprocket set up.

Tfrank59

Quote from: rob f on January 28, 2019, 08:25:00 AM

Ya, had my drifter wheels rolling twice this winter.

..........unfortunately it was only in the sea can and only 2' just to eliminate tire flat spots. I did sit on it and flibber out some fake motorcycle sounds pretending like i was riding. Will have to hold me for a few more months.
Only work i may do to it is try to find an engine tach to mount on the handle bars. Tried to mount one last season but buried the needle on start up and wrecked it. Found out later that this engine uses a "wasted spark ignition" so i guess the tach was reading double. Maybe have to buy a tach for a 2 stroke engine? Cost a bit of money and don't want a repeat failure.

This thread on the tach issue might interest you...if you haven't yet seen it: https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/forum/index.php?topic=42638.msg94956#msg94956
My pic got inverted but if you can see it, the little digital tach is very discreet and after over 3 years/500 hours still works great.  I'll probably have to change the batt this year but that's no biggie.

Here's the pic shown correctly...

Tom

rob f

Ya, had my drifter wheels rolling twice this winter.

..........unfortunately it was only in the sea can and only 2' just to eliminate tire flat spots. I did sit on it and flibber out some fake motorcycle sounds pretending like i was riding. Will have to hold me for a few more months.
Only work i may do to it is try to find an engine tach to mount on the handle bars. Tried to mount one last season but buried the needle on start up and wrecked it. Found out later that this engine uses a "wasted spark ignition" so i guess the tach was reading double. Maybe have to buy a tach for a 2 stroke engine? Cost a bit of money and don't want a repeat failure.

tj

Bought a mobile home in Florida...been busy doing the floors, painting etc. We brought the Goldwing down and ride once a week.

Troll

Quote from: Tfrank59 on January 24, 2019, 06:57:35 AM

Well I love the just-put-gas-in-her-and-ride part. The truth is I got three bikes now and the Drifter requires the least amount of maintenance. The one thing that I haven't done and said I would this winter is checking the valves. I guess I better get on that before the nice weather starts and I won't feel like doing anything at that point except riding ;D

Yeah, I'd like to do that, but snow and sub zero temps prevent it.....

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Tfrank59

Well I love the just-put-gas-in-her-and-ride part. The truth is I got three bikes now and the Drifter requires the least amount of maintenance. The one thing that I haven't done and said I would this winter is checking the valves. I guess I better get on that before the nice weather starts and I won't feel like doing anything at that point except riding ;D

Tom

Pilgrim

Need to change my oil and filter and just do a good inspection and maintenance. Do the annual wax and then ride on...like Troll said, pretty much just put gas in her ride.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk