1999 1500 Gas Cap Vent Seal?

Started by Bucko, June 12, 2021, 22:05:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucko

Quote from: drifter-paul on June 14, 2021, 05:41:52 AM

I am replacing my petrol cap (after 170,000kK) because the fuel comes up thru the keyhole. Despite believing this was a California only requirement(for their EPA regulations), I obtained and fitted the vent "seal" - NO difference.

The petrol cap is quite complicated with washers and filters and tunnels, but no discernible fault or wear,(even tried filling it an inch lower than the lower collar) -so I have given up, time for a new one, arriving this week hopefully - a little hard to source.

P~

Mine leaks there too.  I took it apart to clean  - that's how I noticed the seal in question was absent.

drifter-paul

I am replacing my petrol cap (after 170,000kK) because the fuel comes up thru the keyhole. Despite believing this was a California only requirement(for their EPA regulations), I obtained and fitted the vent "seal" - NO difference.

The petrol cap is quite complicated with washers and filters and tunnels, but no discernible fault or wear,(even tried filling it an inch lower than the lower collar) -so I have given up, time for a new one, arriving this week hopefully - a little hard to source.

P~

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

Bucko

Had to do some digging but found that 01 1500 Canadian models definitely had the seal. 

tj

That is an interesting one.

When I tore down my 99 for paint I had this same question. At that time, I couldn't remember if I removed this seal and lost it or there wasn't one there to begin with.

When I looked at the part number (I like the Partzilla related fitment section), I found that my KLR650 uses the same part (also labelled CA). I checked the KLR and found that it did have a small o-ring type seal in the gas cap vent hole...so I installed one on the Drifter.

Interested what others have found as well.

Bucko

Is there supposed to be a seal on the gas tank vent - into which the little cone on the underside of the cap fits?  The parts fiche shows a seal but in a "CA" box which I believe means: 'California only'.  I took the cap off to clean the vent (it was partially plugged) and didn't notice a seal there but wonder if I dropped it somewhere when removing the cap. Curious if others have this seal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk