DISCUSSIONS > Drifter 1500 only

torque setting for exhaust pipe clamp bols

(1/1)

gwilki:
I have the service manual. It shows torque settings for the two muffler bolts and even for the clamp that holds the heat shields on. It does not have a torque setting for the four nuts holding the pipes to the head.

Can someone please tell me what this setting is?

chief:
With the exhaust nuts(because of the crush gasket) you want to tighten them evenly and snuggly, but not over tighten. Since gaskets may vary, I tighten mine snug, until the gasket is crushed then use 61 in-lbs. I ride and check them again. Kaw mechanics have confirmed the 61 in-lb number according to some of our members. (I've heard 12-14 ft-lbs too... but I tend to be conservative and go with the lower number and work up. )

Anyway, that should get you started.

gwilki:
Thank you, chief. I saw 61 inch pounds, which is just over 5 foot pounds,  for the clamp holding the heat shield to the pipe, but not for the actual pipe clamp to the head. After posting the question, I found another source that showed 13 foot pounds - quite a variance. I'll do as you suggest and start low and work up. I must admit that 5 foot pounds seems awfully small to me, even for that size stud.

chief:

--- Quote from: gwilki on May 27, 2021, 18:06:47 PM ---Thank you, chief. I saw 61 inch pounds, which is just over 5 foot pounds,  for the clamp holding the heat shield to the pipe, but not for the actual pipe clamp to the head. After posting the question, I found another source that showed 13 foot pounds - quite a variance. I'll do as you suggest and start low and work up. I must admit that 5 foot pounds seems awfully small to me, even for that size stud.

--- End quote ---
I agree, I think the 61 in-lbs is a starting point and not a final torque spec. 

The torque spec for a 8mm bolt/nut is 10-13.5 ft-lbs. Since we are dealing with a crush washer, the lower end of that scale is likely the best... and 10 is the spec HD advises. They also specify a torque pattern and starting with 9-18 in-lbs working up to a final torque of 100-120 in-lbs.

gwilki:

Tks again for your help, Chief. All are tightened and no broken studs. I guess that's a good indication of success.

Take care.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version