Complete system anywhere?

Started by Treecol, April 23, 2021, 09:13:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moto

I took both internal flutes from inside the oem muffler. Attached is a series of pictures of the work. The job requires a drill and pliers. Sound is now more deeper.

Treecol

Ok thanks. Unfortunately whe  I spoke to them again, they said they no longer had any in stock, they just hadn't update their eBay listing. I'm thinking about getting some made. The header pipes are good so I think it may be the easiest way. The dealer put me on to a guy who fabricates them.

circlej

Yeah, should do, just swap the footboard onto the Classic footpeg hanger.

Treecol

Thanks circlej, I did speak to them the other day as they're local to me. They said they don't fit. But you said about the passenger footpeg hanger- mine has footboards will that still work?

circlej

Metric Cruisers(UK) still have a couple available and are on ebay
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/133542689423?hash=item1f17c3ba8f:g:J3YAAOSwnZJfgYa6
Although this is for a Classic it will fit the Drifter if you swap out the right side passenger footpeg hanger with one from a Classic.

chief

The goat bladder mod seems to increase the sound only slightly. The EFI can compensate for changes in exhaust, usually. If the air box is modified too, then a FI box is needed. When I installed my aftermarket pipes I needed a FI box to stop decel backfiring.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Treecol

Me again, sorry to be a nuscience  :D  I've just found someone on YouTube that did waht seems to be referred to as "Paul's bike shop mod" they did the goat bladder bit and then removed tha baffles. It sounded pretty good. No idea how to find ths mod they spoke of but o e guy on the comments said after doing it his bike ran lean and lost it's back pressure. Any thoughts on that?

Treecol

Thanks Chief. That was going to be my next question : do exhaust for vn1500 classic fit, so great to know they do. I'm going to have a go at the goat bladder method myself! I take it because it says some people don't like the sound, that it must be pretty,loud?
You guys are the best help ever. There is no one here in the UK so you're invaluable cheers.

chief

I suspect the UK version is the same as the California version here, but I don't know for sure. The vehicle inspection (MOT) in the UK (unless it has changed since I lived there) is rigorous and you may simply not be able to modify the exhaust system legally. You really need to check locally.

If you decide to modify... here is some info which may assist you.

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/goatbladder.html

IF you want to mount aftermarket pipes. Any that work on the 1500 Classic will work on a 1500 Drifter. Just buy the right side peg bracket intended for the 1500 Classic. Then buy pipes designed for the Classic.  The Classic foot peg bracket has rubber exhaust connection points which are essential for our rubber mounted engines. 

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Troll

The cat is just a little biscuit matrix, easily broken with a screwdriver and a small hammer. On the 49 state systems, the goat bladder is just a collector with the perfed cores in it.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Treecol

Thanks, Troll. It has got a catalytic converter.  I do wonder if, due to immisions here, it's quite a different system inside. The dealer I bought it from  had a good look and said there was  nothing they could do - they mentioned the cat was one reason. I'd like to get a full system really, if possible.

Troll

This is going to sound a little strange, but... Unless the UK systems are very different, there are no baffles to remove. The muffler has two straight through perforated pipes. Tale a long stick and put it down the pipe to convince yourself. The goat bladder, unless it's got a catalytic converter in it, has two perforated pipes coming in, with a heat shield on the left side. The pipe coming out is straight through. The biggest muffler effect is with the intake. The small left side air filter, the restricted cross over duct between the cylinders are there to further muffle the sound by minimizing the amount of air that can reach the engine. Take the R/s cover off and take it out for a ride. You will be surprised at how much louder it is...If you "marble" the AIR valve intake, that, too will increase the total sound output.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Treecol

Ok, so now I know you're a great bunch - really knowledgeable and really helpful. I know I'm asking a ton of questions, but I'm sure you're aware the UK branch of the forum is pretty extinct.
I've spoken to the only big accessories and parts importer in the UK just now. There are no exhaust systems anywhere in the UK or USA that they are aware of. Apparently because of the age of the bike, non are left. I was hoping to put Vance & Hines or Cobra on - it currently has stock exhaust. So the dealer I bought it from had a look and said the baffles cant be drilled out of the stock exhaust.
Any ideas fellas? I cannot stand the choked sound of stock pipes. Do you know of a shop selling new complete system?
Or do you know if the stock exhaust can be modified. Thanks in advance.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk