Speedo/Instrument gauge

Started by circlej, January 14, 2021, 03:26:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

a calibrator/converter for metric speedo...Kinda figured that the number of teeth on the output gear in the bevel drive would not have been changed just for European speedos (the # of teeth is what the VSS uses to signal the speedo head). You might want to hang on to that. Somebody might need to go the other direction.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

circlej

Sorted. Removed the alternator cover, traced the speed sensor and found this wee bad boy connected in-line. Removed and connected the speed sensor properly and tada!!! needle registering correctly on the MPH scale.

Troll

I put one of these on my '01 about 10 years ago. Works great. https://www.healtech-electronics.com/products/sh/

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

circlej

OK, fitted a Nomad clock and all looks good, odo displays and needle moves, however when out on the road it felt too fast, clock reading 60MPH and I was passing loads of traffic. Got into town traffic pulled over, launched GPS app on phone, set off riding again and noticed that the kph reading of 30 was spot on for 30MPH, back onto motorway and the 70kph reading was spot on for 70mph. Any ideas how to get the correct needle reading?

Troll

Check the connector coming from the VSS. Sometimes they can gat corroded/have a poor connection. Mine would cut out on occasion, until I cleaned it completely. No problems after that.

circlej

Once again, thanks. Looks like I need a replacement clock, needle doesn't register at all.

Tim

I had mine (2002 1500) running on the stand today - yes the speedo went up with it going in gear. I was surprised how fast the "speed" went up.

Troll

Ignition on, turn the rear wheel. The sensor picks up the signal from the pinion gear in the front gear case. Might have to spin it pretty fast to generate a signal you can see on the instrument.

circlej

Thanks for this, another question. Should the speedo needle move when bike is up on a lift and in gear? Am thinking there isn't enough resistance to generate a speed reading.

Troll

Nomad with electronic speedo should pop right in. The face is black, however

circlej

Hi guys, I have a KPH only dial and need MPH/KPH for MOT. Does anyone know if other Vulcan speedo gauges work with R1 1500 Drifter? If so which??

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk