After Market Fuel Gauge?

Started by hawkfan, November 15, 2020, 13:46:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hawkfan

with the gauge out of the tank, the ohms read 27 ohms when empty and 104 ohms when full.  Seems like the sending unit is bad?

Thanks

hawkfan

Thanks Troll.  I'll check it out this weekend.

Troll

Quote from: hawkfan on November 17, 2020, 17:46:39 PM

After I took apart the speedo instrument apart I moved the fuel gauge needle to empty. I hooked the instrument back up to the bike and powered it up.  With the tank totally empty, the fuel gauge needle gradually creeped back up to full.  Not too sure what to make of this but I'm guessing the actual fuel gauge receiver with the needle is shot.

What that means it that the sending unit shows a fault. it should read 90 ohms resistance with the tank empty, but it doesn't. 4 ohms should be full, and the instrument is reading a 4 ohm signal. Measure the resistance across the sending unit. anything less than the specs. should make you suspicious of the sender. It's possible that the float is stuck, too.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

hawkfan

After I took apart the speedo instrument apart I moved the fuel gauge needle to empty. I hooked the instrument back up to the bike and powered it up.  With the tank totally empty, the fuel gauge needle gradually creeped back up to full.  Not too sure what to make of this but I'm guessing the actual fuel gauge receiver with the needle is shot.

hawkfan

Troll

the FIRST thing you need to do is find out if the sender assy. has a bad spot in it Single most common failure with ANY float type system is a rheostat that has worn through. Cars, trucks, motorcycles, all use basically the same system. You need a multi-meter to measure the signal to the instrument.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

hawkfan

Has anyone had experience installing an after market fuel gauge?  Seeing how I am not having any luck finding a direct replacement speedometer/fuel gauge the next best step is to look into installing an after market.

Thanks

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk