Lightbars

Started by ecader10, July 12, 2020, 12:10:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pete

National Cycle make a light-bar specifically for the Drifter - but the design is poor and the quality of the one I received was absolutely appalling:
# The cross-bar was misaligned so the cables emerged at the front, marring the appearance (the cable exit should have been jigged so that it faced to the rear).
# There was so much pigeon-shit welding that it was not possible to do up the nuts that hold the indicators on. This was not a near-miss problem, the nuts didn't get closer than 10mm to seating. (I have a lathe and made spacers to solve the problem).
# The holes that receive the location studs on the indicators were too small for the indicators to fit properly.
# The lights flickered and went out. Two of the wires had been pushed into connectors, but the connectors were not then crimped, so the wires fell out again.
# The spotlights are so close to the indicators that the cables don't run properly.
# The spotlights can be pointed skywards easily enough, but there isn't quite enough adjustment to point them horizontally as they should be.
Be prepared to have to remedy this sort of nonsense if you buy one.

The good bits:
# The shape of the spotlights mirrors that of the Drifter headlight; they really look the part.
# If you look after the chrome it does last well - no sign of rust after 5 years (except that the nuts that hold the spotlight to the lightbar rusted quickly).
# No problems with fitting it to the bike.
Note: None of the National Cycle ads or catalgues show or mention the On-Off switch on the left-hand spotlight, but there is one, so no worry about fitting one of your own.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

mittico68

Quote from: OR Seedman on July 13, 2020, 08:10:29 AM

I purchased a Fire & Steel Nomad passing lightbar and lights for my Drifter 1500.  It bolted right on, but it did require a spacer on each side about 1/2" thick where it attached to the fork tubes.

:o
It's never too late for learning...  :)

I love my swingin' bike!

OR Seedman

I purchased a Fire & Steel Nomad passing lightbar and lights for my Drifter 1500.  It bolted right on, but it did require a spacer on each side about 1/2" thick where it attached to the fork tubes.  However, when I added my batwing fairing, the bar and lights were in the way and prevented the fairing from sitting all the way down where it is suppose to sit (made for a Classic).  So currently I have removed the lightbar and passing lights.  I am trying to find a different set up that mounts the lights a little lower and slightly more forward.  If I do, I will sell the one I have here in the the classifieds. 

OR Seedman

mittico68

As far as I know, Nomad and Drifter have got different front forks.
I can tell because I bought a Nomad front fork cover for ma-deuce, and I've had to adapt it because it wasn't a simple bolt-on.
So not much chances to use a Nomad lightbar, unless you're a smart mechanic...
But Classic and Drifter has got interchangeable stuff.

I love my swingin' bike!

ecader10

Can a Nomad lightbar fit a 800 drifter or is there a specific one i can find some where?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk