EVENTS > Archive for PAST Drifter Rides, Gatherings and Events

Sturgis 2016

(1/5) > >>

tj:
My stepson and I are planning a trip to Sturgis in 2016. We have booked (booked in September last year...crazy how far in advance you must book) a room in Rapid City, staying for 5-6 days. Departing from southern Ontario, we figure it will take 3 days each way.

Neither of us has ever been. Any advise on the do's and don'ts is appreciated.

Anyone attending this event?

bambam0099:

--- Quote from: tj on January 04, 2016, 09:25:55 AM ---My stepson and I are planning a trip to Sturgis in 2016. We have booked (booked in September last year...crazy how far in advance you must book) a room in Rapid City, staying for 5-6 days. Departing from southern Ontario, we figure it will take 3 days each way.

Neither of us has ever been. Any advise on the do's and don'ts is appreciated.

Anyone attending this event?

--- End quote ---

I'm going again but this year, I am leaving a week early so I can ride Yellowstone, National Glacier and Grand Canyon.  We will "come back East" and do Sturgis.

last year was my 1st year and it was awesome.  The fun is not Sturgis per se', it's the riding outside of Sturgis.  I mean, once you ride into Sturgis and spend a day there, how many more times do you want to see the same thing?

I'm not a bar guy without my wife (she didn't go last year) but we did stop into Full Throttle and The Buffalo Chip to see Shinedown and Brett Michaels and got caught in a hell'ascios hail storm that verged on tornado winds.  It was the scariest night ride I've ever had but fun to look back on now.

Bring a laptop and a gps and plot out your routes.  We left every morning at 7:30 and rode everyday until dark.  The small towns are the best and of course, the Badlands, Mt Rushmore, Devils Tower, Black Hills, etc., etc.    2200 miles in 5 days is alot of riding!

One suggestion, never let your tank get under 1/2 if you can if you ride out of the state like we did.  There were a couple times that we thought we were going to run out of gas and barely made it to a filling station.  In fact, the next time, we are each bringing an extra 2 gallons of gas to keep on our bike.   Obviously, common sense things like water, rain gear, tools and battery jump (yes, our friends ride Harleys!  LOL!) were important.

We'll be staying in Rapid City also.   Counting the days!

Here's a link to a few pictures we took last year 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7dDzA_iCGZJfm1HM2JLY3paR3pUalVNUklIZGJBQUhXR3k5cmp5UG5xbERUMzB4UTBVY1E

gdrudd13:
The riding around Sturgis is fantastic. Part of what there is to do depends on how far away you want to ride. There is great riding in the badlands. If you want to go farther away, Beartooth highway is fantastic to ride, so is Chief Joseph Highway. Ride beartooth second as it is a much better ride and nothing seems as good after you ride it. Also a little bit of ride is Cody wyoming. If you're into firearms at all, you'll want to go to the buffalo bill museum. One entire wing is firearms. You have to go to the basement though, phenomenal gun collection. Both those might be a little far to ride during the day, but if you have time on either side of your trip they're worth a stop.

Can't help much with the Sturgis part. I went there last summer, but not during the rally. There were still a ton of motorcycles there.

tj:
One suggestion, never let your tank get under 1/2 if you can if you ride out of the state like we did.  There were a couple times that we thought we were going to run out of gas and barely made it to a filling station.  In fact, the next time, we are each bringing an extra 2 gallons of gas to keep on our bike.   Obviously, common sense things like water, rain gear, tools and battery jump (yes, our friends ride Harleys!  LOL!) were important.

We'll be staying in Rapid City also.   Counting the days!

Here's a link to a few pictures we took last year 
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B7dDzA_iCGZJfm1HM2JLY3paR3pUalVNUklIZGJBQUhXR3k5cmp5UG5xbERUMzB4UTBVY1E
[/quote]

2 gallons...wow. I was thinking to put an extra litre in the bag. I'll have to rethink that.

Alot of nice pics! Love the customs. Nice trailer and a sharp looking drifter you have there. We talked about trailering the bikes, but we're riding instead...still not sure if that's a good idea lol.

We'll be at the econolodge. Not sure if we're booking hotels on the way there and back yet.

tj:

--- Quote from: gdrudd13 on February 22, 2016, 08:05:05 AM ---The riding around Sturgis is fantastic. Part of what there is to do depends on how far away you want to ride. There is great riding in the badlands. If you want to go farther away, Beartooth highway is fantastic to ride, so is Chief Joseph Highway. Ride beartooth second as it is a much better ride and nothing seems as good after you ride it. Also a little bit of ride is Cody wyoming. If you're into firearms at all, you'll want to go to the buffalo bill museum. One entire wing is firearms. You have to go to the basement though, phenomenal gun collection. Both those might be a little far to ride during the day, but if you have time on either side of your trip they're worth a stop.

Can't help much with the Sturgis part. I went there last summer, but not during the rally. There were still a ton of motorcycles there.

--- End quote ---

I've heard that the riding should be done before or after the rally because of all the traffic...don't know how true that is...

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version