Self Defense weapon

Started by Troll, September 19, 2015, 21:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

Went to a friend's house today with a "new" .36 Navy Colt. I put it together from parts sourced in various unlikely places, including eBay. Put 21 shots through it and I'm pretty happy with it. On the way home, I turned 108,000 on the Drifter...all in all, a good day

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Troll

The Confederate cavalry holster was won on the right side, with the gun butt forward for 2 reasons. The primary cavalry weapon was the saber, and that was used with the right hand, the pistol was a secondary weapon, and they used it with the left hand, or they could use what was called the cavalry draw with the right hand, and the angle of the tilt and the position made it almost unnoticed while seated in the saddle, and the draw could be done while seated...I can attest to the comfort of carrying it like that, almost forgot I was wearing it...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

CDNRatMan

8)  ???  ::) ok a roll of targets, thought it was your self defence weapon. Holster with a gun in it, how unique.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

DC

Quote from: Troll on July 03, 2016, 17:06:38 PM

The new device is the Confederate Cavalry Holster with the Griswold and Gunnison  revolver in it!

Did you purposely position it for cross-draw?  Or is it just easier or more ergonomic to carry it that way?

Troll

That's roll of TARGETS!!!!!
The new device is the Confederate Cavalry Holster with the Griswold and Gunnison  revolver in it!

CDNRatMan

What is so "conspicuity" with the roll of paper behind you, if it was 6 ft long and used to take out people perhaps.......

Troll

I have a new "conspicuity" device I added to my riding gear.......

Troll

Here's part of it....maybe by Sunday evening I'll have a Griswold and Gunnerson, too

CDNRatMan

you might be one of the few who actually gets to go to Troll's house under the bridge and see his gun collection one evening.......lol......

greenbarn

Quote from: 49Reo on June 17, 2016, 13:27:57 PM

Thank you, good sir!

Ya know, if you come to WI to the Coulee Cruzin, you can check out Trolls 1911....
No Worries

49Reo

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

I got the sight on eBay. If you know what dovetail you need, the sights are available directly from the manufacturer of that sight. Example: I wrote to Novak and got a price quote on a direct replacement. Depends on the dovetail cut....

49Reo

I hear ya. Where did you get the adjustable battle sights for your 1911? I've been looking for a good rear sight, not much to be found up here.

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

50', 80 gr. Hornady .375 roundball, 15 gr. Pyrodex P, and CCI #10 caps...This is a 5" barrel model, so I figured that 50' was getting near the max for target accuracy. My 1860 Armys, with the 8" barrel and 138 gr .451s are good to about 50 yards, and my Remington is still good at 75 yards.  The limiting factor with these guns, besides having no real sights, is my eyesight...

49Reo

Pretty good! What distance and what loads?

RIP

Troll

Got another little gem last week. Had a chance, finally, to fire it. It's a 5" .36 cal. brass framed Colt Navy repro made by a company that is out of business. It's 38 years old, and had never been fired, until today... Here's a link to it's debut, and a target I shot with it, today. Either I'm getting better or it is
https://goo.gl/photos/eDu4gYsUrbhgwA8b7

DC

Quote from: greenbarn on June 01, 2016, 20:06:22 PM

That does sound like insanity....   which is probably what we'll get if a certain female gets enough votes....

Agreed!

49Reo

Getting a permit to carry up here is all but impossible. Very few people ever qualify. To add to the insanity of our country's firearms laws, if someone breaks in to your house and steals a gun, you the homeowner will be charged with improper storage of a firearm. If it is used in the commision of a crime, look out. So many of our laws, U.S. too, I expect, are geared more to protecting the rights of those accused of committing a crime than protecting the rights of the victim. Our lawmakers need to be o the receiving end of their own laws; maybe the would change their views somewhat. But I doubt it..... :)

RIP

gdrudd13

49, that sounds pretty terrible. I'm lucky in that I live in a very gun-friendly state (Kansas) so we don't have to deal with all that. Unless we want to get a concealed carry license. Then that sounds about right. Which complaining about how long that took, and the hoops you have to jump through doesn't seem like as big of a deal now knowing what you guys have to go through to get any firearm.

2000 Drifter 800

greenbarn

That does sound like insanity....   which is probably what we'll get if a certain female gets enough votes....

No Worries

Troll

One of the reasons I have been buying handguns since I moved from New York...6 months would be a short time to wait, there...more like 2 years, even with black powder weapons...

49Reo

It usually takes 2 weeks from date of purchase to get clearance to transport home. And can only be transported to and from an approved gun range.

The application for restricted license is a horror show; they phone all references, they try to trap you into saying something that might make it look like you will use it in a threatening or dangerous manner. Take up to 3 months to receive the license. Utter insanity...

RIP

gdrudd13

wow, that sucks. Is it hard to get a gun considered "restricted"?

2000 Drifter 800

49Reo

Unfortunately, the powers that be aren't well versed in firearms. A flintlock rifle, no matter the date of manufacture, is considered an antique, even if it was made yesterday. A flintlock pistol, however, is considered a 'restricted' weapon, thus requiring registration. All replica percussion rifles and revolvers as well as single shot pistols, are considered weapons, not antiques, ant all percussion lock handguns require registering as restricted weapons. Thus the Remington...

RIP

Troll

What about the Italian replicas? Here, they are not considered firearms, for what ever reason, and they fall into the same category as the antiques they are reproduction of. My ROA is a Pietta, and it shoots and acts like a modern revolver, but it's exempt from any registering or background checks..Paid $199 for it on sale...Just shooting it, today, as a matter of fact...2" groups at 25 yards.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk