selling my girl

Started by Tfrank59, July 14, 2019, 00:55:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tfrank59

Quote from: rob f on September 22, 2019, 09:44:09 AM

I know that this is a Kawi Forum but just want to sneak in a little input on the Royal Star.
When i bought mine the clutch was grabby and with combined  weight it was a regular b..ch in parking lots. I installed a Barnett spring conversion plate on the clutch pack and made for a smoother take off. Tom ,if you ever have to go back into that clutch I sure would recommend this upgrade.
You may want to check out your valve clearances also. With a total of 16 valves on that engine the chances of having a tight one is good. Mine had 3 but not overly tight. A special tool is required to remove the shims though, and trying to figure out what thickness you need is a real mind strain.
i would recommend  checking out this forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider?gid=2002968634     (its free)
Rob

sorry guys I keep going with the Royal star stuff ;)  Thanks Rob.  I almost went with the Barnett upgrade when I did mine but read where it's hard on the hand to hold the lever at red lights  :D.  If she starts slipping again I'll go with it.  also, don't care to pull my valve covers to check the clearances just yet...yep lazy.  Should do it this winter along with a carb sync
Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

greenbarn

Thanks, guys, for the input

No Worries

rob f

I know that this is a Kawi Forum but just want to sneak in a little input on the Royal Star.
When i bought mine the clutch was grabby and with combined  weight it was a regular b..ch in parking lots. I installed a Barnett spring conversion plate on the clutch pack and made for a smoother take off. Tom ,if you ever have to go back into that clutch I sure would recommend this upgrade.
You may want to check out your valve clearances also. With a total of 16 valves on that engine the chances of having a tight one is good. Mine had 3 but not overly tight. A special tool is required to remove the shims though, and trying to figure out what thickness you need is a real mind strain.
i would recommend  checking out this forum: http://forums.delphiforums.com/vrider?gid=2002968634     (its free)
Rob

Tfrank59

Quote from: greenbarn on September 19, 2019, 20:52:36 PM

Tom, you're certainly welcome on here anytime!   Drifter or not.

How do you like the Star by now??  I'm entertaining looking at something better for the Wife and I to ride 2-up.  I need something super smooth , vibration and air-buffet- free.

The Royal Star is a good bike for me as a back up for my Honda Valkyrie.  It's got taller gearing than the Valk, about one gear taller, so it's very good for highway cruising 70-80 MPH.  I'd have to say it's a little underpowered for a 1300, but the v-4 is very smooth, say compared to a Harley v-twin, and for 2-up very comfortable back there.  Wind buffeting isn't bad, if you buy a tour classic or Venture (full fairing), but the standard that has no windscreen would need upgraded.  One thing to watch if you're shopping is these bikes have a small clutch for the size of the engine, so I had to replace the clutch pack (less than $50), as it was slipping in the higher gears if I pushed her.  My bike is a '96 and had less than 20K on her when purchased.  Oh, the Royal Star forum, IMO, isn't so good for help with stuff and after 60 days they want $12 per year to be a member, which I ain't paying ???  Good luck.
Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

greenbarn

Tom, you're certainly welcome on here anytime!   Drifter or not.

How do you like the Star by now??  I'm entertaining looking at something better for the Wife and I to ride 2-up.  I need something super smooth , vibration and air-buffet- free.

No Worries

rob f

Good to hear that it went to someone that will appreciate the machine. Am going through something similar with my Virago that i am selling. I purposely worded the ad for collectors or ex Virago owners preferred. Probably why I haven't gotten many hits on the ad but I took good care of it and don't want to see some goof getting her.
Good luck on your next scooter, Tom.

Old Drifter

Glad it went to a good home. Come back anytime Tom.

Gene

1999 Drifter

Tfrank59

Well I got a buyer last night and so I'm going through withdrawal and seller's remorse here. But at least it went to a good home it's for a guy who is just taking up riding again after many years so I think it'll be a good bike for him. If you guys don't mind I'll keep my membership on this forum and maybe even chime in once in a while.  I told the guy who bought my bike that he should join this forum and gave him the web address.   Keep on drifting!

Tom

Tfrank59

Well I'm still driftin' for the time being.  Somehow can't get anyone hooked, though I've had nibbles on my girl (most want to trade for a car).  I seem to recall the PO couldn't sell her either, until I came along.  I couldn't understand why no one would want to scoop up such a gorgeous motorcycle at such a reasonable price.  Now it's happening to me.  One big issue for me is where would I store it if it doesn't sell by winter?  I could ask a buddy to let me park it in his big garage, but then I'd like to be able to start and ride it occasionally.  Anyway, I think it'll sell this summer...which BTW finally arrived here in W. Wash!  I'll keep you guys posted if my bike sells or I end up keeping all three (that's one over the legal limit with the mrs.).  Meanwhile, get out there and log some miles on whatever you have to ride! 8)

Tom

rob f

Nice going Tom.
Got me thinking about getting another bike and look what i ended up with.
Now I am selling off  one my girls ( Virago xv1100)

rob f

Nice looking scooter.
Good luck on the dealing

Tfrank59

Yep, the Valk is my freedom machine...can't part with her.  Besides, with 85K on her she's not worth much for resale, even though she'll keep on going longer than I will.  As far as the Royal Star, looks like I'm going to get it and keep the Drifter until she sells (if she does;-).  Here's what I'm after today...

Tom

rob f

Don't worry there is always another one waiting for you somewhere.
Tell your wife that I said it was ok for you to have multiple bikes as it will keep your mind off of other women. I have been married for 40 years and now own 5 bikes. Having separate bank accounts also helps with this. Although, if you ad up the values of all 5, I am still under the cost of (1) top of the line Harley. Because I am thrifty (Cheap) I go after older bikes at a bargain price and do my own mechanical.
A Valkrie you say? One of the bikes on my "would like to own" list....... along with a Honda Rune and a Yami v-max.
Have owned a few in my day and have only fell in "love " with a few.
My Drifter is on the list.
R

Tfrank59

Well contrary to my wishes the deal fell through yesterday, so for now I still have a Drifter. I know I'll have seller's remorse if it does happen but right now I'm kind of ticked that the guy flaked on me. Rob that thing was a monster that you had. the bike I'm after is much smaller and lighter it's the first gen Royal Star.  The thing is the guy is willing to trade me for my little dirt bike and cash, but I can't come up with the cash without selling my Drifter, and I still have my Valkyrie so if I just withdraw the cash and keep the Drifter it would be really impractical for me to have three bikes (that is of course my wife talking  ;D).

Tom

rob f

It's been nice conversing with you Tom. Just remember a bike is only a material thing that doesn't last forever and they make new ones everyday.
I know that you will miss it, just as I have missed all the bikes i have bought and sold.
And speaking of bikes I have owned .....I had a yami royal star venture about 3 years ago. A beautiful machine, lots of power and smooth riding on the hyway but a nightmare in parking lots. I got rid of mine because of the 900lb mass and was extremely top heavy with full tank of fuel. Don't want to spook you but be ready for this. Mine came lowered and fit me well but unsteady at slow speeds. I never did drop the bike but was always on edge.
if you have any questions about the bike let me know as I knew that rig inside and out before I did the MPNMRR  ride across Canada. Even still have the special tool to change the valve cap shims.
Check for a leaky rear shock and coolant coming out of the fake cooling fins on the cylinders ( not a big deal to fix) Also check that you have a good tire with a high load rating on the back, especially if you are carrying a passenger. With you, a passenger and a fuel tank of fuel you will be pushing the 1000lb mark.
Rob F

mittico68

What's up, bro?
Looks like this summer has a bad influence on many Drifter owners!  :o
And now you're one of them...  :-[
I'm sure you will enjoy your next scoot, but maybe you're gonna miss the Drifter...  ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

Tfrank59

Yeah not the happiest message for summertime but that's what I'm up to. I'm probably going to end up with a Yamaha 1300 Royal Star. I might still chime in on this forum because I still love Drifters, I just won't be one :'(

Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk