My '99 Drifter 1500

Started by Abby, March 14, 2018, 05:38:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Abby

Yeah,'double your pleasure, double your fun', lol. The solo seat I got from ebay for $120 is off of an '04 Nomad. There's a simple mod thread here at VDR showing how to attach the seat. I've got a buddy that does leatherwork and I plan on skirting and studding the seat. The bike belonged to Garry West in the Hamilton, OH area. He made the lowers and used HD hardware to mount them. Very nicely done. Hey 'greenbarn', maybe Spring will get to the Midwest...eventually! And thanks for encouraging remarks. Yes, RatMan I did think about powdercoating. Might look into it but Rustoleum is pretty decent paint and will use that on the side covers. I'm cheap! I do like the '99's paint scheme but also the '01 2 tone oxblood/crème. The no chrome look was what I wanted since my VTX is factory overdone with it. Plus the fact it's silver. Gotta wear shades to stand it!lol

CDNRatMan

Those 99's are the best I think personally, but that is just my humble opinion. Now rather then painting the engine guard have you considered powder coating?
Very nice machine......

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

greenbarn

Quote from: Abby on March 14, 2018, 05:38:55 AM

OK fellas, trying again to post a pic!

WOW, you got TWO drifters!!!   AND EXACTLY ALIKE!!!    That's really cool!!! ;D
Nice bike, it looks like it's in great shape.   What kind of solo do you have?  OEM or another Corbin.  The Corbin is, IMO a really comfortable seat - on the Drifter's anyway.  Not as much, maybe on some other bikes, but definitely the way to go on the Drifters.
No Worries

Abby

The barrel is responsible for the only mar in the body paint. A few crazed spots where the bag had been allowed to rest on the top of the rear fender at one time. I could rub it out but it still won't fix it completely. I'm considering just covering the spots with a "Drifter" decal in gold lettering. That bag will be removed. The side covers need repainted and I will sandblast, prime and repaint the highway bar. Antifreeze, brake and clutch fluids need changed. Tires, battery, brakes and fork oil have been changed within last 2 years. Has fresh oil and filter. (Royal Purple and Kawi filter) IMO the pipes look and sound good and I agree that the seat is attractive. Thanks to all for the kind words.

Ogri

It's a clean machine, I particularly like the seat.

Sometimes I think mine is the only Drifter with original Kawasaki badges - I think they're kinda klassy!

mittico68

Really nice! I like blacked Drifters...  8)
But what a strange place to put that barrel... Keep in mind that everything inside it will be shaken a lot, while ridin'.  :P

I love my swingin' bike!

Pilgrim

NICE!
Already has everything needed installed...windshield, lowers, 2 up set. I agree with the old man..that 2 up Corbin is comfortable.
should be an easy fix on that fender light. You are going to really enjoy that bike this summer....

Old Drifter

Very nice...looks a lot like my '99. I have the same seat and a solo seat. The Corbin 2-ups are very comfortable and look great too. Congrats and best of luck with it. I know you'll really enjoy your Drifter!  8)

Gene

1999 Drifter

Abby

YES!!! Easy once one learns how! Hope you all like the photo(s, lol). The PO purchased this bike in '09 and took good care of it. I hauled it back to Muncie from Cincinnati on 3/3/18. Very nice couple that rode the bike all over the country. And yes, they conquered the Dragon!(I will leave the badge for it on the lower front fenders). Have a solo seat, unscripted war bonnet tank decals and genuine Kawasaki service manual already. The LED headlamp and spare 25W lamps for the light bar are on their way. The Indian fender lamp doesn't function, no power to it. Will have to check the wiring/connectors for it. I'll post pix again after the transformation. I'll be keeping the 2up Corbin seat. Praying for warm sunny days!

Abby

OK fellas, trying again to post a pic!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk