Got knocked off my Drifter

Started by kw-retrorider, November 30, 2017, 07:22:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kw-retrorider

Thanks DC....yeah, could have been worse. Best to not think on these things too hard.

Started physical therapy; have been out on my W650 before this cold snap, so back in the saddle without mental blocks. Even found a very nice straight 800 with low miles and pristine that simply could not pass up given the more than square deal I got from progressive. Figured it was the easiest way to get riding once the weather turns.

Progressive considered the 2002 repairable, maxed me out on my accessories because I had that rider and provided documentation on what the accessories were worth if you can find them....title stayed clean; bike is with me as a future project.

Medical settlement still pends.  Again, appreciate your thoughts.

DC

kw, sorry to hear about your accident.  The bike can be repaired/replaced.  Glad you will eventually mend from this.  Be thankful it was not a lot worse.  Friend of mine locally had a pretty bad wipeout in September.  Broke a bunch of ribs, vertebrae damage, had to have plates installed, other injuries too.  He's still committed to riding.  He expects it's going to take a full year to recover, and get back in the saddle.

CDNRatMan

WOW Failure to yield a criminal act, so half the driving population would be considered criminals because I am sure that everyone including everyone on this forum has at some time failed to yield....

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

greenbarn

Right of way? Like as in, failure to yield??? 

No Worries

CDNRatMan

:o ok what is a ROW violation?

mittico68

Troll, I think you should consider how it happened.
I mean, probably she didn't mean to hurt anyone and the crash has been due just to poor attention.
This doesn't excuse her, but you should know that driving is a Dangerous thing by itself...
Just my 2 cents.

I love my swingin' bike!

Troll

Quote from: 49Reo on December 02, 2017, 19:12:18 PM

Takes a real man to hit a woman. You must be proud.

Hitting a woman is one thing, hitting a perp. is quite another.  If I get attacked, then sex, color or anything else is not a factor in deciding on retribution.  Sorry if that offends you, but a criminal act is just what it is, and the gender of the person committing that act has no bearing on the outcome. I consider any ROW violation a criminal act, and the punishment should be the same for anyone who is responsible...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

49Reo

Or stuck a broom handle through his spokes as he rode away.....you know, tough guy stuff....

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

greenbarn

Wow, probably broke the paper boy's legs for riding his bicycle across the lawn, too, LOL...

No Worries

49Reo

Takes a real man to hit a woman. You must be proud.

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

I had a guy t-bone me while I was driving my '78 Olds Holiday. I dragged him out the driver's window of his pick-up and smacked him between the eyes. I had a woman left turn me on my '49 Pan...As soon as I got out from under it, I smashed her one in the face....my stuff is MY STUFF...thou shalt NOT touch my stuff! There is NO reasoning with morons who run into you. They are committing acts of assault with a deadly weapon...sorry if that's a bit much, but when I get attacked, I strike back. I won't start a fight, but I will damn sure finish it. Like I said, you must have more patience than I do.....

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

kw-retrorider

Troll: Thank you for your thoughtful and reasoned approach.  I normally react that way, but was a little dazed at the time...and did not even have the wherewithal to yell at her as she apologized thru her tears.

I was out of it for a bit I'm told.....but did not see the white light or "Mr. Jordan".......

Again, not my time I suppose....will let the lawyers sort it out....should have the machine back in my garage soon.

Troll

Clearly, you have much more patience than I would have in a similar situation. I would have dragged the little sht out through the drivers window and beat the c*ap out of her....probably on a damn cell phone!

kw-retrorider

thanks all.

I do have most spares to replace the broken bits....floorboards, brake pedal, handlebars and fork tubes....all from 2000 blacked out bikes. Have one of Guido's aftermarket black engine guards too.

Spots look like they survived, although one bucket is rashed. Will have to see if the light bar is repairable. Looks like the only things I have to find are some black turn signals, a headlight bucket and a front fender.

My assumption is that frame, engine and wheels are serviceable....we'll see.

Working with the law firm described above....after initial consult, was the most expedient way for me to not have to do everything myself.

So, looks like it was not my time, or the bike's....we'll be back....perhaps with a more bruised, road warrior persona....

greenbarn

Wow, sorry to hear such sad news, but I'm really thankful it was not worse for you.  The bike can be repaired or replaced -- glad you are not any worse off than you are.  Hope you heal up fast and 100%.    As for the bike, looks repairable. 

No Worries

CDNRatMan

KW when you are ready please provide a list of the parts you have and if I have any I will be really happy to give you what I can. Right now the only thing I might have are a set of 99 Handlebars, black of course......lol.....not sure what else I have laying around.

mittico68

Man! Sure it's been a hard knock out!  :o
You need a good lawyer, or else your bike won't get enough money back...  ::)

I love my swingin' bike!

kw-retrorider

kw-retrorider

Went to see the bike yesterday. Found it on the side stand and not leaking.
- Frame and wheels look good
- Fire and Steel light bar and spots as well as engine guard are toast
- Front fender broken up and right fork tube damaged
- Handlebars bent up

From the engine back looks good, including the roadhouse, which is intact.  This little run was to prove install of new front down pipe nuts on exhaust. Looks like it was good I was thrown off the machine.

So here it is...a great parts bike that I will be able to buy back, while I'm looking for another 800...or repair this one as bruised warrior.

CDNRatMan

KW at your younger age you will heal with time and really glad it was not worse what would this forum be without your insight.

not sure how the laws work down south but if you can buy your Drifter back and repair it awesome. Please let us know the results.

They have lawyers in Italy?

mittico68

Too bad... because of your injury and your bike damaged.  :(
I agree with Chief: don't call for a lawyer yet; take your time and just let the companies do their job.
WAIT A MINUTE! I am a lawyer...  :o

I love my swingin' bike!

chief

Sorry to hear. Don't jump on a lawyer yet. Let the insurance companies do their thing. If you don't agree, then think about a lawyer.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

The Bride

First off, glad you're up and moving.  Shoulder injury is a painful thing, takes longer to heal than the scrapes.  Hate to hear you're injured and, of course, really sad to hear about the damage to the Drifter.

Don't have injury lawyer experience.  We'll wait to see what others post about that.

Prayers for healing sent your way!

kw-retrorider

Well boys, it was bound to happen sooner or later...

- got knocked off my 800 by a 17 yr old girl driving a pick-up
- came in from the right....not sure she saw me behind car in front of me
- daylight, good road conditions; sped about 40 mph....car in front and behind me
- only warning was the truck, which was stationary....suddenly moving....and I was there
- no time for me to react at all
- bike went down on the left engine guard....I was thrown clear....and pulled to the curb by a guy in a Harley tee shirt (promise to be nice to those guys from now on)
- skinned knee and some separation of shoulder/clavicle....scratches on the helmet
- could have been worse....did not see fluids in the road, but broken parts and left engine guard bent up.....my guess...totaled.

For you guys: Never had an accident with injury (I'm 61)...other party has a no name insurance

Anyone have experience with "the motorcycle lawyer.com".....thinking about a consult before things go too far. Appreciate any insights.

Will go see the bike today...figure I will buy it back the get another...hope the roadhouse is intact
kw

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk