No Worries

CDNRatMan

GreenBarn = 4
Pilgrim = 3
49 Reo = 1
Grinnall = 0

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

OR Seedman

my understanding is that both bikes go about the same distance on a full tank....my 800 gets about 48-50 mpg on the highway, which gives me almost 200 miles per tank....I would have to get around 38-40 mpg with the 1500 to go a similar distance...does anyone get that kind of mileage with a 1500 that has been modified with pipes, high flow air cleaner and a power controller?  I hear most get around 32 or so.....

OR Seedman

Pilgrim

Quote from: CDNRatMan on March 06, 2018, 18:47:16 PM

;) I have stated if you read my response,  ::) that the 800 is a tad slower, and will take a tad longer to get there, but let us consider that we are all safe riders and we will not exceed the speed limit, so both bikes will arrive at the same time, the 1500 ride will not be as fatigued as the 800 rider.
And as GreenBarn will verify I have logged some log rides in the past 3 summers. The 800 is capable of doing the deed. Personally I just wish the 800 had say another gallon of fuel, that would be a huge bonus. Riding solo it is really fine. 2 up day rides are also fine.

if Ratman only knew how to talk...it should be " an additional gallon of fuel"  8)

CDNRatMan

;) I have stated if you read my response,  ::) that the 800 is a tad slower, and will take a tad longer to get there, but let us consider that we are all safe riders and we will not exceed the speed limit, so both bikes will arrive at the same time, the 1500 ride will not be as fatigued as the 800 rider.
And as GreenBarn will verify I have logged some log rides in the past 3 summers. The 800 is capable of doing the deed. Personally I just wish the 800 had say another gallon of fuel, that would be a huge bonus. Riding solo it is really fine. 2 up day rides are also fine.

greenbarn

No question the 800 can go the distance.  Ratman has proven that..   The 1500 would be better though, on interstates IMO, and for 2-up riding.

No Worries

CDNRatMan

OR Seedman first of let me correct mr. Pilgrim......

keep the 800 not saying it won't go far and do it good

that should read keep the 800 not saying it won't go far and do it correctly, such poor grammar.....
I have an 800 and I actually put more miles on it then a lot of people with a 1500, granted I might take a tad longer to get there, might be a tad more tired on arrival, but the 800 can take the distance and not flinch at the length of the ride.....
I think you giving it to your son as a birthday gift would be awesome and it keeps it in the family.........

OR Seedman

Well   I am considering it....M son is turning 24 this summer and the 800 would make a nice birthday present....He is an inch taller than me, but a lot lighter.. young and lean instead of old and portly...LOL. 

OR Seedman

greenbarn

Quote from: Pilgrim on March 06, 2018, 08:16:56 AM

Keep both if possible...if not, do you ride close to home, short trips, etc. keep the 800 not saying it won't go far and do it good, its just easier for frequent short trips. If you ride long and want more comfort..especially with that nice seat and backrest, and that is a comfortable looking pair, keep 1500. They are both nice.

what he said...
No Worries

Pilgrim

Keep both if possible...if not, do you ride close to home, short trips, etc. keep the 800 not saying it won't go far and do it good, its just easier for frequent short trips. If you ride long and want more comfort..especially with that nice seat and backrest, and that is a comfortable looking pair, keep 1500. They are both nice.

Abby

WOW! Bike looks great. What a deal!

greenbarn

That's so very sad, I'm sorry to hear it.  My condolences again for your family, and his family.

No Worries

OR Seedman

thank you greenbarn...I appreciate the thoughts.  IF he had been wearing any kind of head protection, he most likely would have survived with minor injuries...it was a blow to the upper forehead that caused his death....he only had very minor injuries outside of that....lesson to all.....

OR Seedman

greenbarn

OR, I'm getting caught up on the forum after being off a while, and realized I had not read this post before.  So sorry to hear of you cousin's passing.  My condolences to you and your wife. 

No Worries

CDNRatMan

:o Some people can not understand my liking to ride alone. There are times I enjoy group riding, and there is some people I really enjoy riding with. But the relaxing, peaceful experience I get from riding alone is really nice. I have seen some fantastic country in both the US and Canada. I have such really good memories of the places and the people I have met. I also have had a few close calls along the way. But these I try not to dwell on because then I would start to think about not riding, and I really enjoy my riding......

Troll

Motorcycling and precision target shooting. Both require complete control

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

kw-retrorider

Exactly! There are few things that provide the solitude and therapy that riding does. The only other thing I know is sailing.
So on the bike, it's you, the wind and the road....when sailing, it's you the wind and being on the water
It's all good.

OR Seedman

I appreciate the thoughts.....riding is therapy for me....so I never worry about whether or not I am going to make it back home....those thoughts just never enter my mind....if they did or ever start, then it would be time to stop....can't constantly worry about things you can't control...life is too short and I enjoy the freedom of being on a bike too much...

OR Seedman

kw-retrorider

Seedman: My condolences on your cousin.

The risk is what the risk is to ride. At 61, and having just survived my first ever motorcycle accident, with only physical therapy ahead, you simply can't think about it too hard. You either ride or you don't. There are other things that can get you besides riding.

Although I had no control over what happened and the other side has already admitted fault, but your second point, I was properly dressed (multiple layers of clothes and outside with leather, including helmet. It was only a 3/4, but I was thrown from the machine and there were scratches on the side of the helmet...so they took a cat scan that night in the ER. Scratches are not deep, but probably would be missing an ear if it was a half helmet.

Have since been back on the road before this cold snap, and the replacement Drifter is due to arrive today (although I am rebuilding my 2002). To support another member on this forum who recently said he was going to keep buying up Drifters because of the fit and finish....Could not pass up a good deal on a low mileage and very clean 800.

So ride on brother. My wife of 31 years (who used to ride with me) worries but understands.
Again, sorry for your loss.

OR Seedman

Amen, brother.  Oh, btw, he WAS NOT WEARING A HELMET.  I have lived and ridden in Phoenix, and I can tell you that is one place that I would NEVER RIDE WITHOUT ONE!  I guess he got a little complacent about it.  My daughter's fiancee is a firefighter/EMT and he has seen his share of motorcycle accidents plus he has ridden a lot in the past. He and I are in complete agreement that helmets save lives; even half-helmets are better than nothing, especially when hitting the back/top of your head as happens in most accidents.  I know that in some areas it is a personal choice, not the law, but to me there really is no choice....

Anyway, my wife says I can keep both if I want.....plus she knows I am a cautious and skilled rider, so for now I am just looking forward to better riding weather to get the 1500 out some more.

OR Seedman

mittico68

Seedman, sorry to hear about the cousin.
As Ratman said, we all make choices and, I'll add, each choice leads to unknown consequences: maybe it's a question of luck or maybe it's up to your smartness, I dunno; but I'm glad that we just don't know our expiration date.
So, let's live every and each day as a gift from heaven!  ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

Get that app so if you have an accident it will notify her.....and she can track where your riding.........

OR Seedman

well...I flat out asked her if she wanted me to get rid of them...she said it is my choice to ride, but she worries about me every time I go out....I can live with that if she can...

OR Seedman

CDNRatMan

So sad about the cousin, my ex had been scared by someone when she was young while out riding and she did not trust or like bikes. My dad also never understood my love for riding from an early age. Then after I joined the military he said "whatever" .......so we all have life choices to make. I am going to keep both 800's for now, no desire for a 1500 yet, but that could change. If and when I win the big lottery I'll start a Drifter collection in ernest........

OR Seedman

well...I just found that my decision may be out of my hands....my wife's cousin in Phoenix was just killed last night on his Harley.....He was a great guy and we were good friends....my wife is pretty upset about it and has already started with the second-guessing on my having one (or two)....

OR Seedman

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk