Just got my Drifter...Now I’m Tearing it Apart

Started by Tush, April 16, 2019, 19:14:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tush

Started my course last night...the in class portion, about three hours worth.

Saturday and Sunday are 7 hours each of riding classes ( they supply the bikes).  At the end of the Sunday session, I take my M2 evaluation ( riding Test).  If (when) I pass, I get my M2.  The M2 is good for up to 5 years.  You are expected that within this 5 year period, you take your full M Class test (on road followed by an instructor who provides you directions through an earpiece).   The M licence cannot be attempted for 22 months after your receive your M2 license ( unless you have taken an accredited course like I'm doing then it drops down to 18 months).

Wish me luck!

Cheers,
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

OR Seedman

Here in Oregon we have two levels of motorcycle classes to get a new or to renew an expired endorsement.  Since I had been riding for many years (i had let my endorsement expire), I took the advance level class and even trailered my 800 to the course so I could ride it and get use to the way it handled.  I guess there was no real experience necessary to take the advance class, as there were several older virgin riders enrolled...all had just purchased new Harleys (but were learning on Honda Rebel 250cc's).  I wonder how many (there 5 guys total doing this) have dropped or dumped their full dress bikes since then...LOL.  One guy told me he had never even been on any kind of  motorcycle before....and he just dropped over $30k on a new HD!....people are nuckin' futz....

OR Seedman

Lucky

we have the opposite "problem" here .. you can take a MSF in Texas on saturday/sunday, pay $16 Monday, and go buy AND DRIVE AWAY a 'busa or z14h2 -- just crazy -- there should be a middle ground - but, i can buy anything i want in Texas, and own it, even without a M dl

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
Michelin Commander II mt/90-16 front 150/80-16 rear
1 3/4 turns on A/F, 1st clip,48 pilot, 160 main - 41mpg
K&N
Marbled and Modified airbox
Vulcan Classic 800 sissy bar
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

Tush

Quote from: jeffeosso on May 08, 2019, 08:49:51 AM

VERY nice -- great work!
I see you deleted the windscreen, as well?
have you taken her for a spin, as yet?

Its a quick detach screen...I prefer the look of the bike without it but when required, I will definitely use it.   Ill be sure to take some photos of the bike with it installed  when I get the chance.

Unfortunately, I haven't been able to get it on the road yet.   Kind of crazy actually.   We have a graduated licencing system in place here....I have a beginners licence (M1).  The intent of this license it to get you on the street (with conditions) in order for you to learn so that you can move up through to the next level (M2).   The problem is, no one wants to insure an M1 driver (unless you have $5000).  So, I am waiting to take a rider training course next week so that I can get my M2 certificate (you actually have to wait 60 days until this is recognized by the MTO here).  Once I get my M2, insurance drops to between $1100-1300 per year.   At this point, I can register the bike and get it plated (you can't do this without insurance).   Ill have to get the bike safety inspected again since my safety certificate only lasts 36 days from the date of purchase....Ill be about a week overdue on this so more money and hassle to have to get that done again...
I would do things differently next time that is for sure!  I would have booked my M2 course even before I got the bike since they provide the bikes at the training course anyway.

Cheers
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Lucky

sorry to double tap --
on wiring the indian head light -- i just took some light alum flat bar, bent to contour, and went from light to ground .. no way for it to move or become entangled without a REALLY bad event happening first

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
K&N
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

Lucky

VERY nice -- great work!
I see you deleted the windscreen, as well?
have you taken her for a spin, as yet?

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
K&N
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

The Bride

Beautiful 800!  Enjoyed the videos of its journey to being 'yours'. 

paulfuller12

Quote from: Tush on May 04, 2019, 22:15:42 PM

Ok, Next instalment....I'm calling the project done...just needs some cleaning and detailing.

https://youtu.be/j3N474M25pg
I must admit the bike looks good. I always liked black and white bikes as long as they aren't behind me. Nice job on the emblems as well. Really makes the tank "Pop."
Cheers,
Tush
My other bike is a Yamaha Roadstar with 80K

Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

No Worries

Tush

And...some before and after pics and a little video...

https://youtu.be/25JcS6P4gQU

Cheers
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Tush

Ok, Next instalment....I'm calling the project done...just needs some cleaning and detailing.

https://youtu.be/j3N474M25pg

Cheers,
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Tfrank59

Great looking job! And that seat really puts the icing on the cake. 

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Lucky

"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
K&N
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

Tush

Ok, going back together now...I'm digging it so far.

https://youtu.be/ktWaf6kHCZc

Cheers,
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Tush

Thanks Tom, no pro, just an amateur who's done a few painting projects.  This is my first two tone so that was a little different...I need to learn how to mask a little better as I have a little mist through my masking in certain areas.

Yes, I've read many post by Ratman and he seemed like a really nice fellow and a well respected, life of the Forum kinda guy.

Sanding and buffing this morning...not going incredibly well but good enough.  Going to pick up my tires now.

Cheers
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Tfrank59

Really great work! You're obviously a pro and will get a great outcome. The way you did the fenders looks kind of like my stock 06 except mine is silver and black with red pinstripes. I guess one thing about your bike before you painted it is it reminded me of the bike one of our good friends had, Andy, aka Ratman, who passed away about a year ago :(

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Old Drifter

Looks great! The project is coming along nicely.

Gene

1999 Drifter

Tush

Yeah, I understand Paul.  I knew some people would be upset by Me taking an original, unmolested Bike and painting it.  But, I needed to make it my own...if the next owner what's to paint it back to stock colour, I'll be ok with that as well  8)

Next video is up...painting is done.  Wet sanding and buffing coming up!

https://youtu.be/H9j4y-kLuB0

Cheers,
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

greenbarn

Good looking 2-tone, Tush....   I do love a 2-tone Drifter

No Worries

paulfuller12

Just saw this post. What a great looking bike in excellent condition. These are rare cause the 99 was only sold in Canada and Europe. I personally would have never painted the bike. Sad to see. These blacked out models and their 1500 counterparts are getting rarer and rarer. I put a 99 1500 back to stock and just did my 2000, 1500. I had a blue 2000 800 that was pretty rough but did all the repairs and turned down selling to a guy that distresses them to make them look old and messed up, like the one in :"defiance" on Netflix. Ended up selling it to a young guy who was committed to keeping it stock. Would love to find a low mile red 800 down here in socal but not much luck of that happening.

My other bike is a Yamaha Roadstar with 80K

Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

Tush

Thanks Jeff,

The inside of my tank is perfect..not a spot of rust...I'm really pleased with the overall condition of this bike.   It's only got about 8000 miles on it and was well looked after by the PO.

I think I'll hang on to the stock seat and components for now but if I change my mind, I'll let you know.

Cheers,
Tush

1999 Drifter 800
2002 BMW R1150RT

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk