1998 1500 Classic, Air Filter Element on left side only, should there be 2??

Started by Big Foot, June 24, 2020, 12:47:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bucko

Quote from: JagLite on July 29, 2020, 09:36:26 AM

My experience with bikes built to meet the emissions requirements is that they all come lean from the factory.

My experience as well. 

Bucko

Quote from: JagLite on July 29, 2020, 09:40:09 AM

I thought I read on here somewhere how to trick the FI into thinking it was colder so that the FI would add more fuel...

Anybody else remember that? And why it was needed?

I remember that mod well.  One reason to cheat the temp sender (by adding resistance) was to fix a common pinging problem at high ambient temperatures -  my 01 engine would ping severely in hot weather ( in any gear) - a sign that it's running lean. 

Tim

Wow I'm getting around 110 miles per tank. To be fair I do a lot of "around town" riding and let's just say I am a bit more aggressive now then when I got riding again after a long layoff.
Having said that I do smell gas when I stop for the night and I'm wondering if it is running way too rich - I do get a lot of pops from the Bub pipes.
I'm strongly thinking of doing the airbox mod.

Troll

That's what I was getting, about 40 @ 70 mph. the pipes were black and sooty. I rode to Wyoming in 2010, and the higher the altitude, the better the fuel mileage. Went up to 45+ in the mountains...and back down to the high 30's on the way back home. Made my new air box and instantly got 45 mpg. I did get as much as 52 mpg in the mountains of Tennessee. I normally run 185 miles on a tank before I have to fill up. The push me soon light now comes on at about 165 miles, rather than 140...that's an average of 47 mpg...Oh, and the bike has the STOCK exhaust on it, and 128,000 miles...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

JagLite

Quote from: OR Seedman on July 24, 2020, 19:49:37 PM

I agree with Troll....had a fuel controller on the bike when I got it...V&H longshots and Big Thunder Air kit....well the fuel controller went bad and started dumping fuel through the injectors and dropped my mileage to about 10 mpg...could keep enough fuel in the tank to get anywhere!  Yanked out the controller and everything runs perfect....getting 40 mpg and runs smooth...

Very interesting indeed!
I thought I read on here somewhere how to trick the FI into thinking it was colder so that the FI would add more fuel...

Anybody else remember that? And why it was needed?

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

JagLite

Quote from: Troll on July 24, 2020, 07:10:36 AM

No addon fuel controller. Runs better now, than it ever did with the stock intake system. Getting around 45 mpg, avg...much better that the 37-40 I got when it was stock. What makes you think your's is running lean?...mostly they are over-fueled.

Well that is very interesting.
My experience with bikes built to meet the emissions requirements is that they all come lean from the factory.
But the Drifter is the only Fuel Injected bike that I ride, my VTX1800 has a Cobra FI control and it runs great but I don't ride it yet, it is a project bike.
My other bikes have carbs and all of them needed jetting and tuning to run better.

Good question, why do I think it is lean, because it doesn't have any symptoms of lean running.
But it doesn't have any symptoms of being rich either....

Maybe I will try the right side filter mod...
Last time I checked I was at 38 mpg on the highway.

Thanks!

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

OR Seedman

I agree with Troll....had a fuel controller on the bike when I got it...V&H longshots and Big Thunder Air kit....well the fuel controller went bad and started dumping fuel through the injectors and dropped my mileage to about 10 mpg...could keep enough fuel in the tank to get anywhere!  Yanked out the controller and everything runs perfect....getting 40 mpg and runs smooth...

OR Seedman

Troll

No addon fuel controller. Runs better now, than it ever did with the stock intake system. Getting around 45 mpg, avg...much better that the 37-40 I got when it was stock. What makes you think your's is running lean?...mostly they are over-fueled.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

JagLite

Hi Troll, I have a question...
I haven't done the air filter mod because it will make the bike even more lean running.
Did you add an aftermarket fuel booster (Cobra, Power Commander, etc) or adjust the FI temp sensor?
The stock intake is very restrictive but more air in requires more fuel too.

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

Troll

Ok, so this might get a bit complicated, but here goes. The air filter is small, and is on the left side. The crossover tube between the cylinders has a silencing baffle in it, and it restricts the total amount of air going to the engine. This is on purpose, to operate in concert with the mufflers to decrease total sound. The less air in, the less noise out. IF you take the r/s airbox cover off and ride it a bit, you will notice the exhaust sound is quite a bit louder. More air in, more noise out...I made my own airbox backing plate for my drifter a decade ago, right around the 58,000 mile mark. My fuel mileage went from high 30's to sometimes over 50...plenty of power, and the stock exhaust has more than enough "rumble" for me. The same thing with my W-650..did a "shelfectomy" to the air box and now it's other wise stock exhaust is quite loud. I had to put a jet kit in afterwards, as it was running VERY lean, especially above 4,000 rpm

OR Seedman

right side is fake....for looks only.  the left is the actual air intake....same on all the 1500 and 1600 engines (I'm pretty sure).  If you get an air intake kit you remove both sides and install the system on the right side.  You can then get a cover that goes on the left in the area vacated by the air intake...

OR Seedman

Big Foot

There is no air filter element under the air filter cover on the right side of my bike.Should there be one on each side?????
Big Foot!!!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk