Adding heated gear for 99 1500

Started by Eddie57, January 03, 2020, 18:25:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Troll

Got them off eBay. They work quite well

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Bucko

Quote from: Troll on January 11, 2020, 18:07:18 PM

I seldom use the spot lights, but I put some 15 w LEDs in them years ago.

Do you remember which LED's you used?  How do they perform?

Troll

Quote from: Bucko on January 09, 2020, 13:28:04 PM

Troll: any idea how many watts your gloves use?  Seems to me that when I tried to use 50w spot-lamp bulbs (vs the Fire and Steel 25w'ers) in my light-bar, my battery would eventually go dead - that would imply the available excess power is between 50w and 100w.

Sorry,I don't know what the gloves draw. I seldom use the spot lights, but I put some 15 w LEDs in them years ago.

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Bucko

Quote from: greenbarn on January 09, 2020, 21:51:31 PM

Same here... I switched from 25W spots to 50W, plus a GPS (low amps, I'd think),  plus a couple extra tail marker lights (low additional draw also),  and my battery went dead whilst riding on about a 100 mile ride.   I switched back to 25 watt spots and have never had another issue (added a volt meter, to be sure).

Just to beat this to death.... I think I was able to get by with 35w spot-lamp bulbs.  I used 35w'ers as I couldn't, at the time, find a source for the 25w'ers.  Eventually I found an on line source for the 25s and visually, I couldn't tell the difference in brightness between the 25's and the 35's so I stuck with the 25's.  I've never actually measured the current draw so it's possible the so called '25's', which are definitely rarer, are really 35's.

greenbarn

Same here... I switched from 25W spots to 50W, plus a GPS (low amps, I'd think),  plus a couple extra tail marker lights (low additional draw also),  and my battery went dead whilst riding on about a 100 mile ride.   I switched back to 25 watt spots and have never had another issue (added a volt meter, to be sure).

No Worries

Bucko

Quote from: Troll on January 07, 2020, 09:47:22 AM

I've been running heated gloves on my Drifter for about 10 years, now. They run directly off the battery, through a controller. I've had no problems at all with the charging system. I'll tell you this, though...I moved the reg/rec to the front, under the radiator in 2009...When I ride into the late Fall/early Winter up here in the frozen north, the temps will get down into the 20's before I give up...

Troll: any idea how many watts your gloves use?  Seems to me that when I tried to use 50w spot-lamp bulbs (vs the Fire and Steel 25w'ers) in my light-bar, my battery would eventually go dead - that would imply the available excess power is between 50w and 100w.

Troll

I've been running heated gloves on my Drifter for about 10 years, now. They run directly off the battery, through a controller. I've had no problems at all with the charging system. I'll tell you this, though...I moved the reg/rec to the front, under the radiator in 2009...When I ride into the late Fall/early Winter up here in the frozen north, the temps will get down into the 20's before I give up...

chief

The Drifter has limited electrical capacity, so many heated items won't work well with the bike.   The different brands of heated gear requires different configurations. I haven't researched this gear for a while. I had some for the Goldwing which took power from the bike through a control box.

An alternative is battery operated gear. These have their own batteries, usually rechargeable, and can be worn on or off the bike. Plus they don't run off the bike's electrical so no problem overloading the system.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Eddie57

Hi folks,
What needs to be done in order for me to add heated gloves, vests, etc...?
Best regards,
Ed

Eddie 57

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk