Started by greenbarn, February 16, 2016, 22:11:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pilgrim

I have a 99 Cherokee XJ with 154K...has the 4.0.  Bought it with 40K on it and it's been great so far. Going to change the oil tomorrow, change it every 4K. Looking for mine to go 300K+ since it is paid for. :)

gdrudd13

My first car was a Jeep cherokee with the 4.0L and AX15 Manual (great combo). My current Wrangler is the 2.5L but the rest of the Wranglers have the 4.0 in them. Ranges from 80K miles to over 200K. They're a very good engine.

As a side note, the alternative Jeep engine, the 2.5L is also a very durable engine. It's biggest downfall is the lack of power for driving on the highway. Speaking from experience that means nothing on the trail. Not to the legendary 4.0L status though.

2000 Drifter 800

Old Drifter

These Jeep Cherokee 4.0L's are great engines. I have one a 1996 XJ with 234,000 miles. Just found one for my wifes friend a 1999 WJ with 265, 000 miles. Both run great, the engines seem to be "Bullet Proof" with regular oil and filter changes.

Gene

1999 Drifter

DC

Wow!  I only have about half of that mileage on my truck now.  I'm hoping for at least 200k.

greenbarn

Did you ever notice, some man-made things are just a lot better than others.  They have withstood the test of time. Like, for example...  Levi-Strauss  jeans, the Carhartt coat, the Model A Ford, the 1911 semi auto pistol, the Mini-skirt... You get the picture.

Well, have you noticed some mechanical devices were created a lot better than others?  Some almost bulletproof - Honda CB 750, Chevy 350,  the Ford 460 big block.  Well, the Jeep 4.0 L (242 CI) engine is much the same.   These workhorses have been around a long time, and although not a race car engine, these things are known as probably one of Jeep's best ever engines, earning a reputation for their durability and longevity.

I bought this 1997 Jeep Cherokee from a customer a couple years ago,  wouldn't run for him - he had tried a bunch of stuff and didn't want to mess with it any more, so I got it for cheap.  Since then it's been my beater transportation - gets me to work, through the snow, and to town for errands and doctor appointments.  It has quite a few miles, but still seems to run well - no major problems.

Of course, there are always outliers...  I have heard STORIES of these 4.0's grenading around 150,000 :o :-[.   Maybe poor maintenance, who knows??  ???
We got one the shop last year, around a 2000 with 200,000 that had a rod broke off.  Funny thing, it still ran on 5 cylinders for a while, until it locked up. Anyway, MOST of them are good for a long time....

No Worries

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk