Rear shock replacement

Started by gwilki, March 18, 2023, 08:50:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

JagLite

Yikes!  :'(
That is expensive.
Mine were under $800 but I've read how much more you folks have to pay for customs, etc.
I hope the UK distributor can get you a MUCH better price than that.

James

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

gwilki

Quote from: JagLite on March 19, 2023, 15:13:45 PM

I have YSS shocks that I am very happy with.
I bought mine from Cogent Dynamics and they had to special order the longer bottom eye to get the length I wanted.
The standard YSS shocks are for the Nomad, and others that are a bit shorter than what the Drifter uses.
HERE is the site European distributor for YSS for information.
The US distributor doesn't have a website, gee I wonder why they aren't better known here?

Tks again for this info. I spoke to Todd at Cogent yesterday. Very nice and information guy. We figured that to get the YSS shocks to me would be in the order of $1100 Cdn, including shipping and all Cdn taxes. That presupposes that they would come in as US or UK made. They are not. They are made in Thailand. If Customs entered them that way, I would be paying duty in addition to taxes.
This is just not in the cards right now.

He suggested that I order them direct from YSS in the UK. I have written to them and am waiting to hear what they say.

gwilki

Tks, OR.

I think that I'm going to need to look into repairing my stock one. By the time those on Ebay are shipped to me and I pay Cdn taxes, they are well over $900. I guess that I'm just cheap, but that seems a bit much.

I do appreciate your help, though.

gwilki

Tks much, Chief.

At over $1000 Cdn for the 430 and over $1300 Cdn for the 444, before shipping, I need to keep looking.

I looked on amazon and did see black 412's, but none of them are the 412-4213 that Progressive says fits my bike.

Agree Agree x 1 View List

chief

Quote from: gwilki on March 21, 2023, 06:06:04 AM

Tks much. I looked on their European site and saw what you mentioned. There is no off the shelf version for a Drifter. I'm going to pursue this with Cogent Dynamics. It's disappointing that Progressive has given up on us.

Looking on the Progressive (USA) site, I see 444's and 430's in black standard and HD, various lengths. Both of these are currently out of stock (03/21/23) but with an estimated 5/5/23 shipping date, so they are still making them apparently. 412's are listed but no longer come in black (though they appear on Amazon in black). Apparently my 440 series (chrome) are no longer made. BTW these are listed when you enter the info for Drifter on the Progressive site.

I have heard of riders powder coating chrome shocks... Extra expense for sure.

https://www.progressivesuspension.com/products/3139/1999/kawasaki/vn1500-vulcan-drifter

Like Like x 1 View List
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

gwilki

Tks much. I looked on their European site and saw what you mentioned. There is no off the shelf version for a Drifter. I'm going to pursue this with Cogent Dynamics. It's disappointing that Progressive has given up on us.

Like Like x 1 View List

JagLite

I have YSS shocks that I am very happy with.
I bought mine from Cogent Dynamics and they had to special order the longer bottom eye to get the length I wanted.
The standard YSS shocks are for the Nomad, and others that are a bit shorter than what the Drifter uses.
HERE is the site European distributor for YSS for information.
The US distributor doesn't have a website, gee I wonder why they aren't better known here?

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

gwilki

1999 1500 Canadian model

Stock, my bike has the air shocks. One is leaking and I'm thinking of replacing them. I'm looking at the Progressive 412 black, 13" length, standard rate.

The usual retailer in Canada has told me that they can no longer get black. Progressive has told them that black 412 in 13" length don't exist.

Has anyone gone with something other than Progressive and been happy with them?

thank you

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk