Lowering my Drifter

Started by CARPE DIEM DRIFTER, December 15, 2018, 17:39:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kow8rdr

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

Kow8rdr, To provide a baseline, I have measured the stock VN800 dog bone that I purchased. Stock bone: center of bearing hole to center of pivot hole is 7 and 7/8 inches. Scootworks bone: ( 3 positions available; 1,2 and 3 inch lower) 1 inch lower, holes center to center is 8 and 1/8 inches. 2 inch lower, holes center to center is 8 and 3/8 inches. 3 inch lower, holes center to center is 8 and 5/8 inches. Looks like the magic formula is adding 1/4 inch per inch of drop that you are trying to achieve.

Happy drifting, CDD

Kow8rdr

CDD do you think you cold send me some measurements of the lowering dog bone you were fortunate to find? I have searched everywhere and can't locate one so I'm going to try the used and alter method,would really like some good measurements. TIA  Craig

Lucky

Quote from: Pete on October 27, 2019, 04:28:16 AM

The three grease-nipples (US = zerks) are very low and prone to getting wiped off when bumping the bike up a kerb. I suggest that you remove the nipples and fit short button-head screws to blank off. Just fit the nipples at maintenance time. It could save you grief and £££.

nice tip!!
"Scout"  800 Drifter
900 classic rear shock
18/ 38t gearing
Michelin Commander II mt/90-16 front 150/80-16 rear
1 3/4 turns on A/F, 1st clip,48 pilot, 160 main - 41mpg
K&N
Marbled and Modified airbox
Vulcan Classic 800 sissy bar
Viking saddle bags

Near future
135 main / 42 pilot

Pete

The three grease-nipples (US = zerks) are very low and prone to getting wiped off when bumping the bike up a kerb. I suggest that you remove the nipples and fit short button-head screws to blank off. Just fit the nipples at maintenance time. It could save you grief and £££.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

Kow8rdr

CDD, thanks for the reply,I guess I'll start looking for a Scootworks lowering dogbone , wife really needs it lowered.

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

Kow8rdr, It has been almost a year since my original post. I purchased a second hand dog bone and a couple of 12mm bushings for this project. Time goes by and other things come up that can put projects on the back burner. I have also had the good fortune to come across a Scootworks VN800 lowering dog bone that I plan to use  when time allows. I believe the measurements that I worked out would be correct but questioned my welding ability on such a critical suspension component. Sorry that I can't really answer your question. Happy drifting, CDD

Kow8rdr

CDD, I am curious as to how this worked out, I need to lower wife's 800 1"also.  I had thought about cutting and adding also,glad I found your post about lengths. I hope you can help. Craig

jack freeman

getting a used dogbone / linkage you have old item to modify to lower your bike . If it works you can now do yours . your stock unit most
likely has worn bushings etc. once you get into this removal unit replace all new parts .  Go to cheapcycle parts pull up the rear shock unit
all parts are oem .  I own 3 drifter 800 s  the rear bogbone etc has bad history wearing out , because a lousy lube system .
To long gate your linkage is not safe . with the beating the rear section takes something will go loose . Then every thing really start to
move without you knowing it's happing . . And if you do shorten the linkage  weld the cut grind flush . add a plate the width of linkage
4 inches  center on your weld both sides .  DO NOT WELD ENDS OF PLATE  .   One may think this would make it stronger not true .
instead it will weaken the linkage . I hope this will help . Please don't think im a smart /// .  I just want you ride to a safe drifter and enjoy
your ride .
Jack

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

jack freeman, I have done just as you suggested and looked long and hard on e-bay for the dog bone; AKA " shock link, uni trak, tie rod and lower link". All Kawasaki VN800 motorcycles use the same dog bone. The trick is to find one from a newer year model with low miles for a reasonable price, in hopes that the needle bearings are in good shape. Thanks for your interest and help with this project.                    Happy Drifting CDD

jack freeman

You may want to go to ebay buy a used rear shock bracket linkage ( dog bone ) cheap
Use this to alter / adjust / etc.  Before you take your stock out and maybe mess
up yours.  Do your home work , Vulcan 800 classic may be same as drifter 800
Hope this idea may help .
Jack

Tfrank59

You could put a bushing in there and that way you wouldn't have the elongated hole? You'd also avoid the welding which as a machinist I'm only too happy to :-)  just a thought

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

Tfrank59,  I am thinking that moving the hole 3/16" would give me an oblong or egg shaped hole. I understand the metallurgy concern and have also thought about using a bushing and JB welding the excess hole area. As project progresses and info is gathered, I'll pass along knowledge gained. Thanks for the good luck.

Tfrank59

Well I don't have any experience doing it but your math sounds right. I'm not sure why you want to weld up the unused holes because doing so might change the metallurgy in the dog bone and weaken it? Good luck and tell us what you learn

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

CARPE DIEM DRIFTER

I am wanting to lower my 800 Drifter 1" in the front and the rear. I have purchased the progressive front lowering springs for the front  and the progressive shock for the rear. The Scootworks lowering dog bone is no longer available and a request for info. on "who has one for sale" on this forum has lots of looks but no response. I have seen online a procedure to cut the dog bone, add some length and weld it back up. Adding 1/2" is supposed to lower the back aprox. 3"s.  Is my thinking flawed, If I figure that adding 1/4" would lower aprox. 1 1/2"s, then would adding 3/16" put me at the 1" drop that i'm looking for? I am considering not cutting the dog bone at all, re drilling the holes at the non bearing end of the dog bone and welding up the unused area of the former holes. Anyone with experience doing something like this or input on technique or safety issues, please advise.  A 1" drop is all that I need. Feet flat, flat on the ground at a stop light, no changing kick stand, no dragging floor boards and lower looks cool to me. Thanks in advance.                   Happy drifting, CDD

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk