Self Defense weapon

Started by Troll, September 19, 2015, 21:22:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

49Reo

I'm currently dealing on an original Remington New Model, looks amazing considering it's age. Totally shoot able, price is the big deterrent......$1800.00Cdn. But, due to being an antique, manufactured prior to 1895, it does not require registering it with the RCMP, thus when the 'Big Sweep' happens, it will still be there afterwards.....but $1800 is a LOT of cash..... :(

02 Drifter 1500, 02 Softail Frankenstein Trike.."Beauty" and "The Beast"

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

Everything from WW II has gone through the roof. I was also considering an Argentine Mauser..No rush, there are plenty of poor, neglected BP pistols out there, looking for a loving home.....Kinda like rescue dogs...by the way, a trip out to the range today yielded a 4 shot group @ 25 yards of 1 1/2"..the 5th one didn't "sound" right...don't know where it went...I believe I under charged the chamber...just sounded funny. I popped the barrel off, looking to see if it just went half way, but it was gone...I'll take the 4 shot group, however!

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

gdrudd13

The Enfields are nice to shoot as well. I have two of those as well, but different variations. K-98's are nice but bring a premium. A good alternative is the Yugo M48 Mauser. Basically a K98 clone without as high of a price.

2000 Drifter 800

Troll

I used to shoot competition with a National Match Garand at 400 yds. I qualified expert on the DCM course with a Garand....I would settle for an M-14...or maybe a JOHNSON!!!!...or an '03-A3...or an Enfield....or....or...even a K-98!

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

gdrudd13

The Garand is really fun to shoot. So much so that I have two... Recoil on them isn't bad at all (at least by my standards) and they can be extremely accurate. Downside is they're a bit heavy, but that helps the recoil mentioned above.

2000 Drifter 800

DC

Quote from: Troll on May 12, 2016, 19:52:41 PM

Thanks. for all ...I have  new hobby...buying guns that people screw up and fixing them...now to find a beat up Garand!

Well, when you find it, check out this place for all kinds of extra Garand parts.  At one point, they stocked Garand DIY kits, but they are out of stock now.  http://www.e-sarcoinc.com/search.aspx?find=M1+Garand  This place is known as the go-to place around here for all sorts of old military arms.  They have loads of foreign military stuff too.

Troll

Thanks. for all ...I have  new hobby...buying guns that people screw up and fixing them...now to find a beat up Garand!

gdrudd13

Shooting black powder is so much fun. Hardest part though is finding a place where you can shoot them. Around here several of the ranges don't allow them. But if you do find a place, so much fun.

2000 Drifter 800

Trall

NICE video and you got a great deal on your 1860.  That and you had tore it down to hundred pieces and put it all back together.  Hats off to your skills ;D

Troll

I gotta quit looking at Gunbroker....found a real nice example of an 1860 Army .44. According to the date code on the frame, it was built in 1995...It cost me $150. Current production ones on sale are $250....Well, it arrived from Texas today. I took it all apart, and it looks as though it was fired some, but not during this century. It must have been dry fired a lot. 3 of the nipples were pretty hammered over. I was able to save one of them with my die grinder, so I left the other 2 out and went to the range. I took the 1851 Navy with me, too. Shot 40 lead balls today. 15 through the Navy, which did just what I expected it to do, and the rest using 4 chambers on the Army...https://goo.gl/photos/MrEovgoLF3b8etAaA        As usual, pictures:  Big surprise, it came in a pistol box...just big enough for both of them. My regular case is getting a bit crowded....

DC

Holy cow!  Talk about a tight pattern!   :o

Troll

https://goo.gl/photos/U2Fy6VkDdhzfJ1z18     New $9 mag from the gun show on Sat.

4 out of 7 in the black@50'...230 gr hollow points. Bought a spare cylinder for my 1858 for $20 ($100 retail)..tried that out, too. also @50' My last 4 caps...had to go home, no more ammo!

Troll

Quote from: DC on April 28, 2016, 20:06:51 PM

They're strictly single action I guess.

Wouldn't have it any other way..even my .45 auto and M-1 carbine are "single action"!

chief

I have a .44 Remington. After you fire one of these a bit you understand why people missed so often back when these were state-of-the-art. The smoke really obscures the target!

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

DC

They're strictly single action I guess.

greenbarn

No Worries

Troll

greenbarn

I really like the cap n ball stuff.   Fun to shoot.

your selfie link gives me a 404 error.....   most likely the picture of you broke the camera..  :o 8) ::)

No Worries

Troll

Well, I'm at it again...I really missed being able to shoot just because I basically grew up with it. Between the carpal tunnel issues and the cataracts, I had pretty much given up on the whole idea. The surgeries I had to "fix" the carpal tunnel made it worse...8 years of recovery and rehab, then I tore a right rotator cuff, that healed, but it took 2 years, then the left one...that only took  year....So, now with a steady source of non committed income, and both arms working at about 75-80%, and the cataract problem fixed, I'm back in the shooting "game"...About 50 years ago, I had some black powder guns, including a real Colt .36 Navy revolver...Black powder was a PITA to clean up, and when you were done, you looked like a chimney sweep at the end of the day....Pyrodex is WONDERFUL! Cleans up with HOT WATER...rinses right out, bronze bore brush, couple dry patches, and an oil mop and you're done. Cabelas is the only reasonably priced source of BP firearms near me, and they have a good selection...every once in a while, they throw a killer deal at you...Could NOT pass this one up...this piece sells for as much as $350, in various places, and they had it on sale for 1 day at $199.  I did an internet order to lock in the price and they shipped to the store. I picked it up at 09:30 this morning...got it home, cleaned and ready, and out to the range by 13:30....Pietta 1858 .44 Remington Army. Took it and my 1851 Navy out to the range and played for an hour or so....https://picasaweb.google.com/109550952480484427597/1851NavyReplica  Link to my "selfie". I used an NRA target on big paper for the Remington, since I had no idea where it would print, and 9" paper plates for the Navy since I know where it will hit, within about 2" or so...The Remington hits about 6" low at 25 yards, I was told to expect this...The red dot at 12 o'clock on the target was point of aim, gave me the results in the black...

Troll

Supposed to be raining all day, but it wasn't. Took advantage of the 60° temp to ride up to the range (about 20 miles) and play with the 1851 Navy...I call it
"Cap'n Ball"....A little adjustment to the rear sight (it's a notch in the front lip of the hammer) with a die grinder, and a bump in powder charge to 24 gr. of  Pyrodex...and these are the results (Bye the way, the load I'm firing is ballistically equivalent to a +P .38 special) and here are the results. I know, no pics, didn't happen...well it did! I'm shooting offhand at 100'.....The high shot on the silhouette target was the first one, the last 2 are in the same hole, in the red circle!

Troll

Quote from: 49Reo on April 24, 2016, 19:36:53 PM

I recently picked up a 1911; love it. I have rather large paws, so am looking for new grips. I wasn't sure how I would like it, so picked up a Norinco, I know, buying Chicom stuff takes away from our own economy, but everything else is bloody expensive up here. Anyway, if they don't outlaw them with this upcoming change in our gun 'laws' I expect I will be picking up a Remington 1911, there goes my pocket change for a while.....

I had the same problem with the factory Taurus grips. I put a set of Pachmayr American Legend grips on and now it fits perfectly

49Reo

I recently picked up a 1911; love it. I have rather large paws, so am looking for new grips. I wasn't sure how I would like it, so picked up a Norinco, I know, buying Chicom stuff takes away from our own economy, but everything else is bloody expensive up here. Anyway, if they don't outlaw them with this upcoming change in our gun 'laws' I expect I will be picking up a Remington 1911, there goes my pocket change for a while.....

"If you don't believe your country should come before yourself, Ya can better serve your country, by living somewhere else."  In memory, Stompin' Tom Connors
RIP

Troll

OK, here I go again....having money is a dangerous thing. I bought a .44 cap & Ball revolver. I'm the third owner, but it's never been fired (I took it completely apart, no evidence of any use at all)...almost too pretty to shoot, but I'm going to..probably Tuesday. I have to work Monday, so...I'll post pics of it and the results. As far as the PT-1911, over 1,000 rounds, so far with no failures of any kind. I was popping bowling pin silhouettes last week at 100 feet...and I now have an Italian made repro of an M-1 Carbine, circa 1944, in .22 LR. Shoots great...2" groups at 50 yards with iron sights....and of course, the Judge...sits by the bed with 255 gr HJHP...

Troll

Since I was 8 years old, I was involved in competitive target shooting. It was one of the few things my Father and I agreed on. First it was rifle, then small bore gallery, and then big bore long distance, iron sight only. I did a little pistol and shotgun here and there, but living in New York, owning a handgun was like do it yourself dentistry...not impossible, but damn difficult. When I moved to Wisconsin in 1974, I found that owning a handgun for private use was as easy to do as buying a dozen eggs...so that's what I did....first a Ruger Blackhawk in .45 Colt, and then a series of .44 mags, including a mk 1 Desert Eagle...and a Llama 1911 style. Believe it or not, even with all the hunting stuff going on here, there is no target shooting, except for trap....which is ok, but not really my thing. After I started to develop carpal tunnel problems, I couldn't pull back the slide on the Eagle, so I sold it, but I kept the Llama....The surgery to "repair" the problem was in 2007, and now, in just the last 6 months or so, I've actually been able to get back to shooting....I bought the Judge, mainly for home defense, but it's a hoot to shoot...we have a lot of Chicago refugees streaming in here, so home security has become a primary concern. The people here didn't lock their doors, now they have security systems...I traded the Llama in when I bought the Judge, but I missed having a .45 ACP around, and after owning a Taurus, and discovering how well it was built, I decided to save up and get a PT-1911....ABSOLUTELY SPLENDID WEAPON. I have put about 300 rounds through it with no malfunctions and it always groups around an inch or so....If you know anything about 1911s, you will understand about that last statement, if you don't then lets just say that the $1000 and up guns cannot do any better, and many do a lot worse...

49Reo

One thing about it, someone tries to tip your little red wagon over, they're gonna be a hurtin' commodity.... ;D

RIP

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk