Any replacement gas caps that will fit?

Started by indue, February 01, 2018, 10:06:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

BlackBlueMagoo

I had a problem with the original gas cap..could not get it to unlock. Took a small punch and drove the pin out and opened the cap in reverse. Replaced mine with a OEM cap. I did some checking and could not find another gas cap that would work properly.FYI.

greenbarn

Quote from: indue on February 12, 2018, 08:32:17 AM

Further update... I made a addtional gasket out of old innertube to seal around the fill lip and there are absolutely no leaks! Plus I added a new Viton o-ring below the cap and above the key insertion. Except for the small ding in the tank, everything works fine.

Do you have any pics of these mods?  It would be helpful to see them,  sounds interesting.

No Worries

Pete

Use Partzilla to look up the part number of your gas cap. Partzilla will then give you a list of the bikes that use the same gas cap.

Ride safe, live long and prosper.

jmbo

I keep mine lubed up.  Had it bind once out on the road.  I could live without the lock. 

Jimb

OR Seedman

I had to replace the gas cap on my ebay bought 1500 (PO hacked up the original trying to customize it)  bought it without the key/lock and put the guts from the old one into the new....that way I could keep all the other locks as is....was somewhere around $60 or so....

OR Seedman

indue

Further update... I made a addtional gasket out of old innertube to seal around the fill lip and there are absolutely no leaks! Plus I added a new Viton o-ring below the cap and above the key insertion. Except for the small ding in the tank, everything works fine.

indue

I re-used the original. Here's what I did. There are two M4x 25mm panheads that hold down the latch. I simply drilled through the holes where the M4's were and completely through the chrome cap. Because of prying it off, the hold downs on the lock assembly to the cap had been deformed and broken so I had to go completely through. I put 2" 6x32 stainless panheads with nylocks and cut off the ends of the bolts that protruded and bottomed out inside the tank. How does it work? Actually much better. It always makes me nervous when the lockable gas caps begin to get more difficult to open. Smooth as butter! Now, I just have to ride the bike and see if it is leakproof.

chief

Your best bet is to replace with oem. I don't have any information on replacing it.

Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

indue

Unfortunately, when I was installing another thicker Viton o-ring on the gas cap it would not open. I tried evverything with movement of the key but to no avail. I had to pry the cap off. Even though I had cushioning under the large screwdriver it put a small dimple in the tank...BUMMER! Fortunately it is not that noticeable unless you look hard. I bought a chrome gas cap for a 1959 Ford F-100 and it probably would fit if it had a longer neck. I have a Harley gas cap coming for a sportster and Dyna but it won't arrive until Saturday and it might not fit also. So, I thought I would contact you guys to see if anybody out there has put on a replacement cap that fits and looks half way decent.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk