Author Topic: Fuel leak at filler cap  (Read 47 times)

bvason

• Prospect
  • View Gallery
    • Cartersville
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
  • State/Province/Region: Ga
Fuel leak at filler cap
« on: June 10, 2021, 13:29:23 PM »
    I've not been here in ages because it seemed as if not many people were using the site anymore. I have a 2001 1500. So I'm very happy to see current questions and responses. My question is about a fuel leak at the filler cap. I was in traffic recently and noticed the smell then looked down and saw fuel flowing from the lip around the cap. I mean pouring over the side of the tank and down all over everywhere. I was worried about ignition of fumes as it was hot and an accident had us stopping and starting for a good 20 minutes. As soon as we got past the accident and consistent traffic flow was maintained it stopped and the lip around the cap emptied and all was well. I had noticed on other occasions spillage on the tank but I had associated that with over filling and then making steep turns and sudden stops. I'm assuming it's the overflow tube clogged but I'm not sure of where to start trouble shooting it or the best way to repair/replace that. Any insight, suggestions or help would be greatly appreciated. 
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions

chief

• Administrator
  • Staff
  • 2002 Drifter 1500
  • View Gallery
    • Franklin
    • Vulcan Drifter Riders
  • I ride a : Drifter 1500
  • Plus a: ----------
  • VDR#: 1
  • State/Province/Region: TN
Re: Fuel leak at filler cap
« Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 13:54:01 PM »
Always check the Mods/Accessories area: Here is some info which will help you. Venting is the most likely problem. 

https://www.vulcandrifterriders.com/gascap.html

We get about 40 people here a day... considering the limited number of Drifters out there... not too bad.
friendly
funny
informative
agree
disagree
pwnt
late
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions
No reactions