Kuryakyn Hyper on the 800

Started by Hatchet54, October 09, 2019, 20:19:01 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mittico68

Cool.  8)
Good luck with it.
P.S.: Before puttin' on the new filter, I've shorten the inside edge of the plastic back housing, so to have the filter closer to it.
And don't forget to post pics!  ::)

I love my swingin' bike!

Hatchet54

mittico68

That filter has got the same wideness of the oem filter housing, so I just put it on and screwed to the existing center bracket.
Then, I just removed the air snorkel that is underneath the tank and closed the remaining hole.
I also re-jeted the carburetor, by thrice turning anti-clockwise (starting from zero, i.e.: full close) the little fuc*ing screw that is in a damn fuc*ing position underneath the carburetor.
I had to make many attemps, before finding the right mix: that means I've had to pull apart and then re-mount the tank and the air filter housing, each and every time!
Anyway, it was worth it...

I love my swingin' bike!

Hatchet54

Cool filter. Now let me ask you, did you just plug that thing straight onto the carb and go? Or did you integrate it into the stock air intake?

I've been reading about the "Grampsizing" mod and was considering trying my hand at it, but the chopper in me thought it would be a hell of a lot easier to just ditch the OEM system altogether and slap a filter on the carb opening like my older bikes. But I feel like if the answer was that simple I would see a lot more people around here doing it. Any thoughts?

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

Hatchet54

So I did manage to find this photo of the back of one of the HD hypers.

I'm guessing this one had been previously modified due to the drilled holes...but you can still get a sense of the pattern. Thoughts?

mittico68

Quote from: Old Drifter on October 10, 2019, 15:34:20 PM

Hi Marco, you are usually a master at the English language and grammar...So I think your auto correct is to blame on the error. I think you meant "change the air filter and re-jet the carburetor".

Ooops! :-[
It's surely been a mistake.
But this time I am the one to blame, as I didn't use any auto corrector at all. And that's the result...
Thanx Gene.

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

I don't have any experience with the hyper charger, but like you I wouldn't think it would be all that hard to mount the HD model.  Can you find a pic of it anywhere?     I did like Marco and just modified my air box, installed a K&N, and rejetted the carb.   The specific mod I did was called "grampsizing"    But If you like the hyper charger see if you can get some pics.

I would think the carb throat could be different size--  so you might need to modify the hypercharger or make an adapter -- an the mounting brackets would most likely be different.   Depends on how handy you are in fabricating stuff like that.

No Worries

Old Drifter

Quote from: mittico68 on October 10, 2019, 12:26:08 PM

Nope.
I preferred to change the air filter and reject the carburetor: that, together with a no-baffles custom exhaust, allowed ma-deuce to be faster and louder!  ;)

Hi Marco, you are usually a master at the English language and grammar...So I think your auto correct is to blame on the error. I think you meant "change the air filter and re-jet the carburetor".
Gene

1999 Drifter

mittico68

Nope.
I preferred to change the air filter and reject the carburetor: that, together with a no-baffles custom exhaust, allowed ma-deuce to be faster and louder!  ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

Hatchet54

I emailed Kuryakyn directly and my suspicion was correct - the 9410 has been discontinued.

Any ideas?

Hatchet54

Long story short, how difficult would it be to fit an H-D model of Kuryakyn charger onto our Vulcans?

Anyone tried it?

Someone correct me if I'm wrong - please correct me - but it seems the VN800 specific model of Kuryakyn (9410) has been discontinued. But they still make the same "standard" hyper for the Harleys, as well as the V-Star etc...

The mount can't be that specific, right?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk