Looking forward to my Drifter

Started by Rlearmont, August 26, 2017, 10:16:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Rlearmont

Thanks for all of the replies!!!
I found "my" perfect drifter for sale 2 years ago, but my wife's medical issues to my savings.  So now after 2 years of test, surgeries, treatment we hope she is well on her way to recovery.  Still have a little way to go on my savings for my drifter, but I hope I will have enough when I find another one I like.
PS. My perfect drifter wasan 800, red/black, 2 up seat with backrest, saddle bags, windshield, war bonnet light on front fend800,under 10k miles and sold for 3k, and it was less than 1 hour away from me.   Ugh!!!!   I sure hope I can get close this time.
Thanks

JagLite

I would love to find an 800 I could afford.
My 1500 needs a buddy.
I would leave my 15 set up for two with bags and windscreen.
Then have the 800 lean, mean, and solo with no screen or bags.

Attitude:
The difference between
Ordeal and ADVENTURE

kw-retrorider

Rob: I vote the 800 for you based on the riding you describe and coming from a 440. The 800 is an easy bike to get used to...not as heavy as the 1500, very nice handling characteristics for a windscreen and floorboard bike, can do both short and long trips, mechanically more traditional and basic...so less issues.

Besides, everyone seems to want a 1500....more 800s to choose from. Take your time and find a good one. Have put 20k on mine in the last 5 years. It was good choice.

mittico68

Good question.
But I think I won't be able to answer 'till I ride a 1500, with a 2up combo...

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

ok so if you are saying that you need to pay more attention to the extra weight, does that reflect on the bike or you? Because if you want to give an honest summation of the bikes ability.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

mittico68

I was just kiddin'...
Anyway, about the meaning of my words: I meant that when I am 2 up I must pay more attention and a bigger effort to ride the bike, due to weight gain...

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

First off I never said anything about my skills, I am just trying to understand you meaning of "lack of handling", I am just wondering what you mean, it could be the language issue but I find that the 800 is a fantastic handling machine, be it 2 up or solo. It is very light responsive and nimble to throw around the roads. The only "lack" of any response if you are 2 up and you ask for immediate throttle response it may lack a bit there, but it still responds.

mittico68

Quote from: CDNRatMan on August 27, 2017, 16:53:47 PM

8) what do you mean by lack of handling?

Andy, Sir, I know you're such a badass biker and your skills are so huge that you do not ever face any matter at all... ;)
Me, I just prefer to ride solo because that way the bike is obviously lighter and I like to feel it while ridin' on twisty roads. 8)

I love my swingin' bike!

CDNRatMan

8) what do you mean by lack of handling?

mittico68

I totally agree with GB: the 800 is your Drifter.
I own one since 1999 and I don't really like highways, so I spend the most of my ridin' time on secondary roads (and city roads, too).
I've been ridin' many time with a passenger, too, and I must admit that the only thing that I really don't like about it, is the lack of handling. Otherwise, the 800 is such a cool & nice bike to ride, even for the 2 up combo.
Just my 2 cents...

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

Rob, it's becoming obvious to me....  you should buy a 800, then once your wife gets to riding more (or next year) then you'll "need" to get a 1500, then you have the best of both worlds....   ;D

And the answer is yes, the 800 has the same auto-cancel function on the turn signals. 

No Worries

RockinRollin

I rode a 750 Shadow for years before I bought my 1500. I miss the smaller bike, it was better in the city. The 1500 has lots of pony's for highway driving. It was the fuel injection, gas gauge, shaft drive what made me lean towards the 1500 but I think I would have been just as happy with the 800. If I had to do it all over again it would probably be the 800 that I would choose. ( Or one of both ::)) Does the 800 have self cancelling signals also?

Rlearmont

Thanks for the responses.  As far as interstate travel, I stay off them as much as possible. I prefer the roads less traveled. 2 up riding is something I don't plan on much unless the wife changes her mind and wants to ride more often.  Right now it will be just me cruising the east coast back roads.   I remember my little 440 and I took hours long interstate trips 2 up and don't remember any problems.  I was taught that once you start a motorcycle you activate the cloak of invisibility....no one in a car can see you, so drive accordingly and keep a plan of escape at all times!!!  That mindset has saved me several times.
I know I will love any Drifter I get, I've admired them since I saw one on the showroom floor in 2002.  I like Indian bikes but can't justify the cost and I loved all of the Kawasaki bikes I've owned so the drifter is the perfect bike for me.  I am finally in a place where I can start to think about owning a bike again and I won't stop until I have my own Drifter.

Thanks
Rob

greenbarn

I'd agree with Ratman, the 800 is a fine bike.  I also think I like the look of the 800 slightly better, although both are great looking bikes.  I would echo Ratman - how much 2-up riding and Interstate riding are you going to do?   I have never had a stock 2-up seat on either bike, but had Corbin 2-ups on both bikes.  There is a LOT more seating room on the 1500 (at least comparing Corbin to Corbin). So for 2-up riding, I think the 1500 has the edge.   Also I think the 1500 is better at interstate riding.  It's heavier, and obviously more CCs, so if you're going to do a lot of interstate +70 MPH riding, the 1500 has the edge.  Other than that, the 800 is a great bike.  Like Ratman said, nothing keeping it from being a distance bike.  It's a more "nimble" bike, and if you are doing mostly short day trips, like you said, (especially solo) you mike like it better.

As far as the fuel injection and shaft drive being "better" than the chain drive and the carb--  Yes, I suppose they are "better", but really the carb and chain don't cause problems, so the "improvement" doesn't really get you that much.   A little less maintenance.  Also, the 800 does't have some of the same problems that the 1500 is prone to,  like the clutch problem and timing chain issues.   Not that these are big issues to steer you away from buying a 1500, just to say there are pros and cons on both sides.

No Worries

CDNRatMan

Well I'll take the corner for the 800  :o surprising no one.
Big issue really is how much 2 up riding are you going to do? How far are you going to 2 up ride? I have run my bike all day at 120 to 130 km not an issue, runs like the fine piece of equipment it is. I can honestly say I put on as amny kms as a lot of guys on their 1500's, if you run the speed limit and are not in a rush then the 800 is great, it does look a lot nicer then the 1500 but that is just my opinion.
I have no issues with the carb, nor the lack of a fuel gauge. I have adapted and overcome this issue. As for chain maintenance it is like having WWW tires, it is something you chose and you make the time to keep them clean and you take pride in having a nice bike. I have heard all the hero's who claim never to clean their bike because they need to ride. I love to ride but the time in cleaning and looking after my bike is my therapy also.   Picture is my bike in Prince Edward Island today....

Rlearmont

Hello
I have been reading the forums here for a few years.  I decided to join because I am going to buy a Drifter soon.   I'm still torn between an 800 and 1500.  There is so much I like about both, but things I don't.  Now I know this is just from my research and not actual time riding either or both for comparison.
Any and all advice is appreciated.  I've ridden since the mid 1980's but it has been a few years without my own bike.
Okay here's my wish list.
1.  I prefer the look and weight of the 800. Mainly short day trips and occasional 2up rides.
2.  I prefer the shaft drive and FI of the 1500.

Unfortunately there aren't many around that I could test drive both to see how one feels to me.

My questions arise from my lack of information on how much difference in maintenance and reliability the drifters with shafts vs chains and their carbs vs FI.

I've ridden belt and chain drive bikes before but never a shaft. Never owned a FI bike but think it would be better than a carb? ???

My last bike was a 1980's Kawi LTD 440 and rode 2up with no problems.  Sure it was a little slow getting up to speed, but after my GPZ1100 drag race bike I have no more need for speed.  Rather a relaxed back road cruise.

Thanks for all of the great info on here and I will keep reading and post a picture once I find "my" Drifter.

Rob

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk