Loose header on Vance & Hines Longshots

Started by indue, February 12, 2018, 08:57:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

drifter-paul

Indue,

Have I missed something? Is that bracket rubber mounted ?

My engine is rubber mounted 18' lbs, and the exhaust is rubber mounted at the connection to the footrest.

Paul ???

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

greenbarn

Indue that looks really good - is the bracket SS or chrome?  looks like an easy fix for a plaguing problem.  It's always good to have people on here with other experiences from other bikes they can bring in good ideas.

No Worries

indue

jmbo

Looks good.  I had a similar problem on my Road House pipes.  They were originally for a Vulcan Voyager so I had to make my own brackets.  Mine needed a bracket up front for both the pipe and an extra heat shield pad since the pipe came too close to the running board.  Mine have the old flex pip covers.  Love the look.

Jimb

indue

indue

The problem with pics is that it is really hard to see. I was thinking about them...

mittico68

Indue, you should already know the n.1 rule of this Forum: no pics = it didn't happen!  ;)

I love my swingin' bike!

indue

I got tired of tightening the header flange nuts on the front header as it loosens up due to the long length of tubing that is unsupported until it reaches the near the rear wheel; I got an idea. The same problem existed on the early V7's and Ambassadors (Moto Guzzi) so they came up with a bracket that clamps to the frame and the header. I just happened to have a brand new one laying around so I attached it to the frame near the floorboard and it fits; you just have to use a longer screw of at least 45mm. Now it is not going anywhere. I also used 2 flange gaskets (Harley Davidson part #17048-98) in conjunction with the copper gasket (which fits inside the lip of the header). I used a little RTV silicone (let dry) to hold the gaskets in place because they are hard to fit when you are fumbling with the pipe. The clamps can be purchased from MG Cycle (Moto Guzzi). They are under "exhaust pipe clamps" in the search. They are more expensive than they used to be. The quality is good.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk