Loose Baffle and Stuck End Caps

Started by Adventure_Boy, January 12, 2018, 22:18:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

kw-retrorider

The tips look like aluminum...which would expand more than steel when heated; I'd heat up the steel pipes using something with a broad tip...ie big soft flame.

This would be to make the steel expand...while tapping on the circumference.

If it is as I see...two different metals with nothing in between...because it wouldn't stand the heat...those two pieces might well have fused themselves together.

Another old trick while heating is candle wax if you can get it to flow between the aluminum and steel...but now I'm reaching. Good luck

OR Seedman

if you can heat the tips with a small torch (propane) and then grab them with a big pair of channel lock pliers to twist them, they might break loose....mainly around the seams.  The tips look like an afterthought on the pipes.....not chromed or finely machined....could be they were really just hammered into the ends of the pipes....

then again...I am just a "get a bigger hammer" kind of guy when it comes to stuff like that....LOL

OR Seedman

Adventure_Boy

Adventure_Boy

Quote from: Old Drifter on January 13, 2018, 10:22:33 AM

I can't identify that exhaust. Look at the last pic, it looks like there seems to be a pop rivet coming in from the back side. That's what's keeping you from removing the caps.

If you look closely at the last picture you will see a little hole next to the pop rivet and thats where a screw was holding the end caps in place but they were removed. The pop rivet is welded from the back side thats connected to the baffle. I dont know what it is called but the baffle has a slot where the rivet slides into but its not holding it. At the end of the video you can see the baffle spin.

Old Drifter

I can't identify that exhaust. Look at the last pic, it looks like there seems to be a pop rivet coming in from the back side. That's what's keeping you from removing the caps.

Gene

1999 Drifter

Adventure_Boy

My 2001 Drifter was given to me by my uncle who is no longer with us so asking him questions is no longer an option. I have no idea what kind of exhaust is on the bike. There is no branding anywhere. I watched a video on Youtube of an exhaust that looked similar and was a Road Burner exhaust. Ive never heard of them before.

The exhaust makes a clanking noise when revved to a higher RPM. I've been troubleshooting this for a while and finally found the issue. The Baffle is loose and moves freely inside. When I took the heat shields off I realised that this exhaust is not in two pieces and was welded together. Is this normal?

So after, I figured I would just pull the baffles out and ran into another problem. The exhaust end caps are stuck! And I mean STUCK! I've tried letting it soak in WD-40, letting the exhaust get hot to expand and pulled, twisted, tugged, kicked, punched etc... I even tried a Plumbers wrench and the cap didn't  budge at all. I noticed before attempting it myself that one of the end caps is slanted off center as if someone before me was trying to get them off as well which ended up causing a dent in the chrome behind the exhaust.

Any suggestions to either of the issues would be greatly appreciated!

Video of Baffle:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1TQ_ci0kwYrzerJDdQeIPeb9anYatK8J2/view?usp=drivesdk

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk