Don't mess with a Gymea Lily

Started by drifter-paul, November 08, 2017, 02:14:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

indue

drifter-paul

Yo Indue,
I was working in Forresters Beach last week it's 30 mins away. Small World.

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

indue

The plants are very similar looking to our agave and yucca here in Southwest US but have a flower like helleconia/ginger/protea atop. I'll have to look it up. BTW Paul you say you live on the central coast. My brother lives in Forrester's beach along with his wife and kids. I just thought I would throw in a couple of pictures the first one being a Furcraea "false agave" that I have planted in my yard with one species having the largest inflorescence of any flowering plant up to 45' tall. I had to take 2 pictures of it. The third picture is of an epiphilum flower 6-8 inches wide. I know you guys down under have those and many other very interesting plants. I've been trying to raise Illawarra here in SoCal but no success yet...

mittico68

I love my swingin' bike!

drifter-paul

Hi Mittico68,

They are actually quite a pretty/complex patterned flower, but of course, difficult to see because of their height.

Here's a close up of the blooms.

Will have to check out the Yucca plant, greenbarn.

:)

Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit, wisdom is not putting it in a fruit salad.

greenbarn

Reminds me a lot of a Yucca plant we have around here---  just a lot bigger.   And I think all the yucca's are white flowers.

No Worries

CDNRatMan

Like a lot of things in OZ very unique plant.

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

mittico68

Now those are definitely FLOWERS!
Guess what price, if only they were of some commercial attractiveness...  :o

I love my swingin' bike!

Old Drifter

Gene

1999 Drifter

drifter-paul

Saw some of these on a job today.

I love these flowers.  I know them as Gymea Lily (Gymea is a suburb of Sydney, AU) which was settled prior to the Central Coast which is where I live now, and where we also get a lot of them. There are only a few locations in NSW and  one in Queensland that have them growing naturally. These things are 13' high with a flower over a foot wide. The leaves are about a yard long and 4 " wide.

Not motorcycle related, but thought you might enjoy these too, seeing the site has been quite lately.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk