Want to buy a drifter

Started by Chuckster, September 29, 2016, 13:26:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

CDNRatMan

Zoar check the dates on when the posts were made.....

I'll be going for a ride tonight.......I will make a pass just for you.........

GPS is not to get you THERE but rather to get you home from THERE

Zoar

Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 11, 2016, 23:16:18 PM

and so is Christmas..........

It's passed!

Gonzo. Bye bye.... Now on to New Years!

Meanwhile I want to ride my motorcycle! I want to ride my bike!

CDNRatMan

But it's getting closer.

and so is Christmas..........

greenbarn

Yes they are both very nice in their own ways.  They both do some things better than their brother.  I have really missed my 800, having it on the bike lift for so long, getting it's "face lift"...  But it's getting closer.

No Worries

CDNRatMan

Ask GreenBarn he has 2 really nice machines.......

Zoar

Quote from: Trall on October 11, 2016, 07:23:20 AM

The 1500 are better riders and can handle their machines better then the 800 owners. This why 1500 owners with the larger engine size can go faster in the corners and twisties where you naturally scrape, while 800 riders sit more upright and drive 10mph in a twistie. :D :D :D

Both the 800 and 1500 are beautiful machines.  Next best thing to an Indian and sometimes better.

I bought and owned an 800 and wanted a 1500.  Sold 800 and bought 1500.  I wanted bigger fuel tank, shaft drive, fuel gauge, 1500 power, Fuel Injection, 2001 and newer have no speedometer cable.  Can't go wrong with either.

Is it possible to get Drifter envy? If so I think I may be getting it...

The solution as everyone on this forum knows is to have both an 800 and a 1500.

You can have the 800 because it looks better (in some people's opinions); it gets better gas mileage (I am getting around 52 mpg right now!); it is "arguably" more user friendly in towns and cities and when NOT on highway or higher speeds; it has fewer accessories and appeals to the purist who wants something that is more "old indian". It rides really, really well and is incredibly fun and nimble.

AND... you can get a 1500 for reasons listed by Trall.

Two bikes for all good reasons.

But, indeed, one bike will never give you everything.

Trall

Quote from: Zoar on October 10, 2016, 11:16:26 AM

However, now I am going to try to get mine (an 800) to scrape. I have never ridden a 1500 but I know many people have commented on how easy it is to scrape a 1500 verses an 800.

The 1500 are better riders and can handle their machines better then the 800 owners. This why 1500 owners with the larger engine size can go faster in the corners and twisties where you naturally scrape, while 800 riders sit more upright and drive 10mph in a twistie. :D :D :D

Both the 800 and 1500 are beautiful machines.  Next best thing to an Indian and sometimes better.

I bought and owned an 800 and wanted a 1500.  Sold 800 and bought 1500.  I wanted bigger fuel tank, shaft drive, fuel gauge, 1500 power, Fuel Injection, 2001 and newer have no speedometer cable.  Can't go wrong with either.

Zoar

Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 10, 2016, 11:10:22 AM

:o  now I have to go out and count the spokes....thanks Zoar.......

Counting spokes, sounds like so much FUN! Amazing how we richly entertain ourselves here on this Drifter forum!  ...I did ride yesterday and had so much FUN! It was a cool fall day in the Finger lakes of NY and I took wind-y, loopy, twisty back roads with the autumn trees in full blast display. I was smiling ear to ear! I had it up over 85 several times and the bike wanted to go for more. I had to brake hard several times before entering twisties which to me is really fun. Once a car was coming out of no where, fast, as I was about to take a left and I needed to hit the brakes really hard. The result is I locked it up and the bike stayed nice and straight and handled like a true gentleman. Low drama. I really like THAT! This bike is ideal for invigorating  autumn rides on wild and twisty country terrain... (Oh, and did not scrape once!)

Zoar

Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 10, 2016, 11:00:00 AM

Zoar, you can not get your 800 to scrape.......oh lord come for a ride.......I can on the round about and it does need to lean a long way over and when you do it can scare you. Swap the bolts under the floor board for stainless steel ones, they really give a good light show when you do scrape them.....lol........but the 800 is still a good looking ride and with good looking people like yourself, myself and a few others the bike looks that much better.

Oh man, I am blushing! (not)

I may be one of the least good looking people to own a Drifter. But I trust that you are good looking and a few others which indeed helps ANY bike look better!

However, now I am going to try to get mine (an 800) to scrape. I have never ridden a 1500 but I know many people have commented on how easy it is to scrape a 1500 verses an 800.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kELrUoUxihA

When I do this with my 800 I have YET to make it scrape.

I guess I need more training! (thumbs UP!)

CDNRatMan

:o  now I have to go out and count the spokes....thanks Zoar.......

Zoar

Quote from: CDNRatMan on October 07, 2016, 13:25:45 PM

I'll have to agree with me 800 brother Zoar.......he is such a smart man.......

And, oddly enough, I am not the only one who sees differences between the 800 and 1500---
"For one thing, the 800's more attractive. The rear end, for instance, is better served with the design of the 800's triangulated, single-shock swingarm, which more effectively conceals the rear shock for a hardtail sleight-of-hand. The 1500's twin shocks and taller seat interrupt the unique curves of the Drifter concept. The 800's underlying design embraces the overall design more concisely.

The Vulcan 800 Drifter also shares a similar double cradle frame with its Vulcan 800 and 800 Classic stablemates, but lest you think the Drifter is a pile of exquisite bodywork on the back of a Classic, know that it's also a significantly modified skeleton. For example, the frame is lengthened in the steering head for 31.5 degrees of rake and 6.2 inches of trail, and the downtubes are substantially beefed up for more structural strength. The result is a stable, solid ride with responsive steering and sure tracking. The Drifter's shoes are the same as the Classic's; 16-inch wheels, each with 48 shiny spokes arrayed within chromed steel rims, and shod with Bridgestone rubber."

Read more at http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/kawasaki-drifter-800?oXDesrHhkgfKsPgb.99

Excerpt from this article---
http://www.motorcyclecruiser.com/kawasaki-drifter-800

CDNRatMan

Zoar, you can not get your 800 to scrape.......oh lord come for a ride.......I can on the round about and it does need to lean a long way over and when you do it can scare you. Swap the bolts under the floor board for stainless steel ones, they really give a good light show when you do scrape them.....lol........but the 800 is still a good looking ride and with good looking people like yourself, myself and a few others the bike looks that much better.

Zoar

Quote from: bambam0099 on October 07, 2016, 12:36:30 PM

Hahhaaa. Very funny.

Of course it is personal preference. The 1500 and 800 do have differences and it comes across in the look of the bikes especially the rear fender/suspension set up.  And the 1500 sits differently and has an issue with scraping rather easily, and I have tried and n matter how much I lean I cannot scrape my 800.  Again, just personal preference.

But very funny video response!

CDNRatMan

I'll have to agree with me 800 brother Zoar.......he is such a smart man.......

bambam0099

Quote from: Zoar on September 29, 2016, 15:56:11 PM

..... and I like how it is put together better than the 1500, which to me is not quite as good looking as the 800. In my opinion only of course......

Government's first duty is to protect the people, not run their lives.
- Ronald Reagan

chief

There are a couple for sale in our CLASSIFIEDS. Click on the Classifieds button in the top NAV bar.

If you don't see it, register and all the nav bar should be upgraded for you.
Slainte mhaith - Good Health - Cheers

'02 Vulcan Drifter 1500

Zoar

Quote from: Chuckster on September 29, 2016, 13:26:56 PM

I am looking around for a Drifter.  I live in Central Texas but willing to travel for the right deal.

Do you want an 800 or a 1500? That is first question. They come in both "flavors".

I own an 800 and LOVE it. I like the gas mileage, the handling, it has plenty of power for me (I am about 170 pound person and do not carry tons of luggage normally) and I like how it is put together better than the 1500, which to me is not quite as good looking as the 800. In my opinion only of course. That said, if I did not own an 800 Drifter I would own a 1500 Drifter.

CDNRatMan

Chuckster

I am looking around for a Drifter.  I live in Central Texas but willing to travel for the right deal.

Quick Reply

Warning: this topic has not been posted in for at least 180 days.
Unless you're sure you want to reply, please consider starting a new topic.

Name:
Shortcuts: ALT+S post or ALT+P preview

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk