Turn signal phenomenon

Started by Tfrank59, January 26, 2019, 18:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tfrank59

Well I just checked my owner's manual and sure enough there it is on page 27. How embarrassing! (not too big on that whole reading thing). Again I've never had that feature on any motorcycle -- just used to always canceling my turn signals.  Well then I shall just to enjoy ignoring the turn signal after I make my turn. One less thing to worry about

Tom

'06 Drifter 800, '98 Valkyrie

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

Tfrank59

Wait, you guys all knew this! Obviously I was completely in the dark. How embarrassing. So is this like a Vulcan thing that if you're from that planet you know that? ;D Here's the weird thing though guys, it didn't used to self cancel until now and I've been riding this bike over 3 years -- are you telling me it's been malfunctioning all this time? Very weird.

Tom

"HD: The most efficient way to convert gasoline into noise without the pesky effects of horsepower."

mittico68

Exactly what they said: those blinks are self-cancelling after a while.
And it's a good thing, because it prevents you from forgetting to switch them off, after a turn.

I love my swingin' bike!

greenbarn

Yep, 800 and 1500 are both self canceling.    Turn themselves off after a turn when you're moving.

The odd thing is -- (I think this is how they work) --   if you let them self cancel, then turn the bike off, the switch actually stays on so when you start the bike the next time the blinker comes on.  Or maybe it's only when you turn the bike off before they self-cancel- can't remember....   But anyway,  I try to remember to manually turn them off, but once in a while forget.

No Worries

Troll

Usually, people are trying to fix them when they don't self cancel. It's dependent on how many turns of the output shaft in the transmission. My 1500 has bigger tires and a different overall final gear ratio...cancels after 15 blinks...

Recovering H-D owner...W-650 Cafe' No excuses...Ride it or sell it to someone who will!

Bucko

That's how they're supposed to work.  They are 'self-cancelling' after all.

Tfrank59

Okay here's one for you... My last two rides, today's being a long one, my turn signals have been self-canceling after like 15 seconds (or 17 blinks--yeah, I counted the number of flashes several times).  I can't figure it either.  My first thought was it's the switch, and it might be, but it doesn't do it unless you're moving, so must be related to vibration?  If I'm idling, like at a light, it doesn't cancel... ever!  So I guess I should try to "correct" the issue, but as I rode along today I began to think well, why?  Isn't this a feature some guys actually pay for? ;D  Anyway, in 45+ years of riding I've never had this or even heard of it.  If anybody has, please chime in, and if you know a possible "cure", please share it.  It might just be a cold weather thing (I've had signals be slow before in the cold), I didn't have it before the last month or so (although it didn't do it in past winters).  I'm guessing if I clean out the switch it might go away, but I'm just not sure I want it to. 8)

Tom

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk